Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Seeking information of makers mark (18th century blade) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Seeking information of makers mark (18th century blade)         Reply with quote

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out on this one. My guess would be that this blade is of Solingen manufacture. (but I don't like to "guess" on matters like this Wink)

bare smallsword blade- circa 18th century

blade length- 25 1/16"
blade width- 1 2/16"
tang length- 6 3/4"
(floral etching remains beneath the light overall pitting)

thanks,
Stephen

Attachment: 82.22 KB
blade2.jpg
makers stamp on tang "tongue"

Attachment: 106.97 KB
blade1.jpg

Last edited by Stephen A. Fisher on Mon 05 Apr, 2004 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is that a bayonet blade? I don't believe I have ever seen anything except a bayonet that had so pronounced a ridge on one side only.
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Attachment: 115.33 KB
blade3.jpg

Attachment: 118.37 KB
DSCN3774.JPG

Attachment: 57.3 KB
DSCN3790.JPG

Attachment: 103.99 KB
blade4.jpg

Last edited by Stephen A. Fisher on Mon 05 Apr, 2004 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Attachment: 112.33 KB
blade5.jpg

Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:
Is that a bayonet blade? I don't believe I have ever seen anything except a bayonet that had so pronounced a ridge on one side only.

Hello Steve,

No, this is a blade for an eighteenth century smallsword. Adult smallsword blades could range from 25-34" (28-32" being the most common) and came in many blade variations: ex. triangular, hexagonal, diamond, flat.

Take a look through the myArmoury.com albums for hundreds of examples.
Smallswords
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/thumbnails.php?album=55

and my album,
The Smallsword and its variations
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/thumbnails.php?album=96

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The socket bayonet, a French invention from the last half of the 17th century also contained a blade of triangular cross section, very similar to that of the smallsword.

Attachment: 42.61 KB
socketbayonetforstevefabert.jpg
Brown Bess socket bayonet c.1810 (with triangular blade)
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen A. Fisher wrote:

No, this is a blade for an eighteenth century smallsword. Adult smallsword blades could range from 25-34" (28-32" being the most common) and came in many blade variations: ex. triangular, hexagonal, diamond, flat.

That certainly explains my ignorance. My sword-related reading interests jump from about 1475 to 1815, so I am not familiar with the smallsword variants.

It must have taken a great deal of effort and care for a smith to produce that sort of complex geometry - or were these manufactured with some early form of automation that reduced the degree of individual skill required?
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 06 Apr, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That reminds me, Stephen-Have you seen Alchem's new colichemarde smallsword for historical fencing? You'll appreciate this: http://www.alcheminc.com/safeflexrapiers.jpg
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Wed 07 Apr, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
That reminds me, Stephen-Have you seen Alchem's new colichemarde smallsword for historical fencing? You'll appreciate this: http://www.alcheminc.com/safeflexrapiers.jpg

Hi Sean,

Yes, unfortunately the 36" length is a turnoff. Though they could probably be shortened somewhat. I don't know why they have labeled it as a "colichemarde," Eek! as it is clearly not. I'm not very fond of their rod tangs either. But I'm sure they could probably make something more suitable if asked.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

A big thanks to Richard Dellar from the Antique & Military Sword Forum on SFI, he was able to locate the makers mark in the German book, Me Fecit Potzdam: Altpreussisches Blankwaffen des 18 Jahrhunderts ( Prussian Swords of the 18th Century). He mentioned that crossed keys was the trademark of the Solingen cutler Friedrich Herder & Sohn (which still makes knives today). http://www.herder-solingen.de/ He suggested that it could possibly be an early version of the mark.

If one of our German forumites could help out in translating the caption for me, I would be very much obliged. This it what the online translator service deciphered.

"Sign with gekreuzsten keying did not identify in pearl wreath oval on bikonvixer dragoon blade; around 1780"

Attachment: 72 KB
Image6.jpg
scan from "Me Fecit Potzdam"

Attachment: 97.92 KB
Image7.jpg

Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Wed 07 Apr, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen A. Fisher wrote:

If one of our German forumites could help out in translating the caption for me, I would be very much obliged. This it what the online translator service deciphered.

"Sign with gekreuzsten keying did not identify in pearl wreath oval on bikonvixer dragoon blade; around 1780"

I am not a native speaker, but it approximates as “Unidentified mark with crossed keys in oval wreath of pearls on double convex dragoon blade - about 1780.”

A similar crown and single key appear on the arms of the city of Bremen. A swordmaker in Bremen may therefore have used such a modified mark.
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Wed 07 Apr, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:
I am not a native speaker, but it approximates as “Unidentified mark with crossed keys in oval wreath of pearls on double convex dragoon blade - about 1780.”

Thanks Steve.

Quote:
A similar crown and single key appear on the arms of the city of Bremen. A swordmaker in Bremen may therefore have used such a modified mark.

This is an interesting subject. The symbol of St. Peter is a pair of crossed keys, and the symbol was used widely over Europe throughout the centuries on various seals, heraldry, etc. Many also contained a crown above them. But we can can agree that this blade is of German origin considering the source. The only makers mark that I have found thus far is that of Friedrich Herder & Sohn which features crossed keys. (early 20th century example attached)

Attachment: 11.97 KB
BS055.jpg

Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Thu 08 Apr, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The presence of the crown in your first photo is what reminded me of the Bremen arms, and I note that the crown is absent from the more recent Herder mark. The crown was generally used to signify the status of a major city like Bremen. But without some confirmation that there were swordmakers in Bremen in the 1780s, it's just a guess. Since the authors of the book containing the photo of a similar mark were unable to identify it, the rest of us are unlikely to figure it out just by pooling our general knowledge of heraldry.
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Thu 08 Apr, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:
Since the authors of the book containing the photo of a similar mark were unable to identify it, the rest of us are unlikely to figure it out just by pooling our general knowledge of heraldry.

I agree.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Seeking information of makers mark (18th century blade)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic