Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword buying advice wanted. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Cole

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Sword buying advice wanted.         Reply with quote

I am looking for a type X-XII design sword. I like the type with medium wide blades, gentle profile taper and fuller. I am not picky about it being a historic copy but I want it to be a reasonable example of typical 1000-1300 swords. I also want it to be the type of swords that will show people that swords were not 10lb. bars of steel. I would want a good cutting/thrusting sword but probably wouldn’t do much other that soft targets since I don’t want to ruin my best sword. I have been looking at Atrims and Albions with desire. They strike me as reliable sword makers and good value for money. I am sure there are other good makers in the price range but I don’t know much about them. I am interested in eventually making some swords for myself and want a good piece around as a benchmark.

My problem is that this may be my only chance to buy a quality sword in the foreseeable future. I am taking a family vacation to England this summer, Starting graduate school next year and the refrigerator may need replacing soon. I have promised myself that I can spend $300 on a sword but if I start thinking about $500 or $600 my brain starts tells me a refrigerator will be money better spent. NOOO it wouldn't Wink

I really like the look of Albion’s Gaddhjalt and Norman next gens. But I am not sure I can afford one. And many of the Atrims are appealing too. Can people advise me on which models best fit my specifications? Does anyone want to sell me a used sword of good quality and in good condition? I want to buy one fairly soon.

Thanks,
Nathan Cole
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe you should look at some of the ATrims at Lee's Armoury in Alaska. -- http://www.leesarmoury.com/at.htm -- You can get a very good no-frills sword there for around $350.00.
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For a price of less than $400, you might think about buying one of the Del Tin swords that is currently in stock at Albion. You can have it sharpened before they ship it for an additional $20, if I recall correctly. My first Del Tin was a 2132, a good basic sword, and they have one of those in stock now. The 2130 or 2148 would be just as classic. I think there's a 5130 and a 2133 in the newest shipment that arrived a few weeks back. Any of these swords, sharpened and delivered, will run under $370.

http://albionarmorers.com/swords/adt/albiondeltin.htm
http://albionarmorers.com/swords/deltin/dt2140-dt2149.htm
http://albionarmorers.com/swords/deltin/dt5130.htm
http://albionarmorers.com/swords/deltin/dt2133.htm

Any of the Albion Mark swords that you can buy at prices around $500 are well worth it. But if you are on a budget you may be wiser to get a Del Tin for a hundred less.
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sword buying advice wanted.         Reply with quote

Nathan Cole wrote:
I am looking for a type X-XII design sword. I like the type with medium wide blades, gentle profile taper and fuller. I am not picky about it being a historic copy but I want it to be a reasonable example of typical 1000-1300 swords. I also want it to be the type of swords that will show people that swords were not 10lb. bars of steel. I would want a good cutting/thrusting sword but probably wouldn’t do much other that soft targets since I don’t want to ruin my best sword. I have been looking at Atrims and Albions with desire. They strike me as reliable sword makers and good value for money. I am sure there are other good makers in the price range but I don’t know much about them. I am interested in eventually making some swords for myself and want a good piece around as a benchmark.

My problem is that this may be my only chance to buy a quality sword in the foreseeable future. I am taking a family vacation to England this summer, Starting graduate school next year and the refrigerator may need replacing soon. I have promised myself that I can spend $300 on a sword but if I start thinking about $500 or $600 my brain starts tells me a refrigerator will be money better spent. NOOO it wouldn't Wink

I really like the look of Albion’s Gaddhjalt and Norman next gens. But I am not sure I can afford one. And many of the Atrims are appealing too. Can people advise me on which models best fit my specifications? Does anyone want to sell me a used sword of good quality and in good condition? I want to buy one fairly soon.

Thanks,
Nathan Cole

Well, normally I stay out of these things, but in this case I'm going to mention the 10% in stock sale AllSaints is having right now, and there's an AT1211 in stock, and two others not yet on the page, ie an AT1215 and an AT1314....... a X, Xa, XII in order........

I'm not sure where this leaves these price wise {I don't keep track of AllSaints that close} I know they're all under $400 on sale, and even wrapping the 1211's handle keeps it under $400

swords are fun
Mike Fletcher

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Nathan,

Yes, now is a great time to pick up an ATrim. Just pick one that looks good to you and you'll be happy with it. Also, the Albion Mark first gen's have several options that would work nicely, but are a little pricier. I have an Acre and have handled the Crusader and both are excellent swords.

You may also like to check out this offering from the SFI classifieds. An ArmArt S4B "Knightly" type XII with brazil nut pommel for $220:
http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33183

Regards,

Mike
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike beat me to my reply! Happy

If you really want or need to stay on your budget and desire more than your means, watch the classifieds over at SFI and the off topic forum here. Inevitably a bargain will show up and if you by from a regular poster the exchanges are pretty safe. Just a question of whether you can delay gratification.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Nathan Cole

PostPosted: Thu 08 Apr, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice.
I decided to go with the AT 1215 on sale at Allsaints.

Expect an update when it arrives.

Pax vobiscum,
Nathan

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword buying advice wanted.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic