Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Claymore Armoury: New Landesknecht and Lowland Commissions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 25 Aug, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is an example of Thomas Yeudall's Scottish Halberd:

Attachment: 76.1 KB
[ Download ]
Stu C

PostPosted: Mon 25 Aug, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I whipped two of the swords out from under the bed and grabbed a couple of pictures. The camera is rubbish and the lighting inadequate, but these show a bit of detail on the grip and and give an idea of overall proportions of the swords for anyone that is interested.

Attachment: 32.12 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 34.63 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 93.19 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 76.56 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 39.81 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 47.72 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 102.34 KB
[ Download ]
Klaus Gimm

PostPosted: Thu 04 Sep, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Stu !

Very impressive collection indeed.

And .. i have to say... i always thought myself more or less law abiding. When i saw your last posted picture though. i have to say.. dang i am tempted to become a burgler . Big Grin

Seriously, very nice weapons.

Hopefully i will be able to afford a Claymore Armoury weapon myself one day.

Best regards

Klaus
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Thu 04 Sep, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

Attached is one from the Wallace Collection found at This Link.

Description and photo copyright The Wallace Collection.

Two-handed sword
Milan, Italy
c. 1500 - c. 1510
Iron, steel, leather, wood and copper, blackened, filed, chiselled, etched and gilded
Length: 112.8 cm, blade
Length: 37.6 cm, grip
Length: 29.8 cm, quillons
Length: 17 cm, ricasso
Width: 4.6 cm
Weight: 2.46 kg
Maker's mark In copper
A471
European Armoury I

I really like the proportions of that one!

Does anybody know how long A&A's custom order backlog is right about now? Wink

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Stu C

PostPosted: Sun 21 Sep, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My friend's Claymore Armoury 75" lowland sword turned up last week and I got to have a look at it this morning. It's really quite different than my 58" version (narrower blade, no ricasso, much longer fuller, etc) and I have to say it's different enough that I'm tempted to get one. It feels really nice, and -- without having compared back to back -- the blade seems more lively than the 65" Wallace (which only has a 2" shorter blade), which I guess goes to show how much difference the fuller and a slightly narrower blade makes, coupled with the longer grip. I took a few pictures with my phone for anyone that might be interested

Stu

Attachment: 87.85 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 88.41 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 68.71 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 94.73 KB
[ Download ]
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Sun 21 Sep, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was very interested in getting either the 75 inch lowander *or* the Wallace sword... I flip-flopped a bit and thought that ultimately, the furniture on the Wallace sword looked nicer... If you could only have one or the other, which would you chose?

In any case, I haven't heard back from Thomas in a few weeks. I am not certain if I will be going forward with these two commissions. I am still awaiting a reply from Thomas from my various concerns. I put a deposit down so I would hope we can work something out. There about a couple concerns that I will defer from talking about until I see where we stand and if we can work something out.
Stu C

PostPosted: Sun 21 Sep, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
I was very interested in getting either the 75 inch lowander *or* the Wallace sword... I flip-flopped a bit and thought that ultimately, the furniture on the Wallace sword looked nicer... If you could only have one or the other, which would you chose?

In any case, I haven't heard back from Thomas in a few weeks. I am not certain if I will be going forward with these two commissions. I am still awaiting a reply from Thomas from my various concerns. I put a deposit down so I would hope we can work something out. There about a couple concerns that I will defer from talking about until I see where we stand and if we can work something out.

It's hard to say, because my tastes change because of time and familiarity. I think at this point I prefer the overall proportions and blade of the lowlander, but the Wallace has a much more interesting guard, so they both have individual features that I prefer one above the other. If I was to buy again, it would really be a toss-up between the two and honestly I'm not sure which I would choose.

With regards to not getting any response to email from Thomas regarding your concerns (I'm assuming you are referring to the non-sharp and ferrules 'issues' discussed here a while back??) , I think his spam filter might be a bit severe, as I've had a few times where I had to email him a couple of times or waited a little while to hear back.

If I were in your place, I would just give him a call, rather than relying on email (the cost of that international phone call pales into insignificance against the cost of a pair of swords...).

Stu
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One issue is regarding blade sharpness, and there is another issue as well which I will defer talking about for the time being. In any case, he seems to get my emails fine, so I will resend another today or tomorrow.

I have no concern about ferrules. He states that Ferrules are neccessary to exact the proper pressure on the tang and that anyone who doesn't use them doesn't know what they are doing. That is at least the quote I got from a cell phone mesage a while back...

I will revisit this once we have more discussion.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
I have no concern about ferrules. He states that Ferrules are neccessary to exact the proper pressure on the tang and that anyone who doesn't use them doesn't know what they are doing. That is at least the quote I got from a cell phone mesage a while back...

Wow. If that is a quote from him, that would cause me to order form someone else because it's simply not true. Many (most?) historical swords didn't have them and those swords were made by people who understood them well and the swords were wielded by people whose lives actually depended on them. If they weren't necessary back then, why are they now?

To denigrate every make who omits them (including ancient swordsmiths) is unwise and unprofessional, in my opinion.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

EXACT QUOTE (still in my cell phone for past few months, I kept saving it)

"Ferrules were put on swords by professional swordsmiths for the simple reason that it contains the pressure which is exacted on the tang when the whole thing is riveted. Not to put ferrules on a hilt is a big mistake, a mark of unprofessionalism and someone that really doesn't know what they are doing."

"The prominence of the wallace sword has always been in doubt ( the wallace sword was tampered with in 1505). The highland longsword 6'3" is certified national muesum in edinborough."

... FWIW, that is his exact quote when I questioned his use of ferrules...

I have no opinion Happy

However, I do have 2 concerns that I hope we can work out in the near future as I already put a deposit down... I'm not sure what would happen if we do not agree.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
I have no opinion Happy

I do. I disagree with the quote for many reasons. Further, a vast majority of sword grips do not contain the feature in question. Such wide-sweeping comments are absolutely unprofessional. When considering the accusation thrown out to his peers and sword makers of the past, the comments are reckless. If accurate, the quote is disappointing.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As far as sharpness of the blade, perhaps a compromise can be reached (near-sharp?). I still have yet to understand what is the issue against making the blade like an original (sharp). The only two responses I got in the past were:

1) something about DHL doesn't allow shipping of sharp swords

2) That makes them dangerous.

For the price he wants to charge for the Landschnekt commision, I would have to be extremely satisified with it, sharpness is only one concern... I have another concern that may or may not be able to be addressed. I did have a 1 hour discussion a couple months back, but I am still left with a couple important questions. There is another concern I have with regards to communication, pricing, etc... Perhaps we will be able to work something out.

In regards to sharpness, I have not received a straighforward answer. DHL certainly doesn't have to be used. As we all know, there are plenty of shippers that could not care less whether a properly packaged item is sharp or not... In any case, I need some more good communication...

Quote:
If accurate, the quote is disappointing

Word for word from my voicemail....
Stu C

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The ferrules quote, if accurate, seems a little odd, as clearly from a historical perspective there are many more examples without than with. Sounds like a bit of a cop out to me, and a disappointing comment to be sure. If he had said. "I use ferrules because I believe it makes for a stronger structure. Some people disagree with me." then that would have been OK, albeit not what you wanted to hear. I think the quote you have been given is clearly a bit daft and is just a bit of "my stuff is good" hyperbole.

With regards to the sharpness, he is on record in an article in the Scots magazine from a few years back as saying why he won't do sharp. I haven't got it to hand, and I won't paraphrase, but it is essentially (2) in your list of options. It is something he has been clear on for years, so if you don't like it, just buy from someone else - it's really that easy.

I have to say, given that you knew and were presumably unhappy with all these things *before* placing your commission [pricing, ferrules, sharpness], I'm still confused as to why you placed the order? Surely you would place the order if - and only if - you were happy with the product you were agreeing to? If you couldn't agree terms, why not walk away *before* putting down a deposit? That way, you happily head off and find someone else sharper and less ferruley to satisfy your needs. Everyone is quite happy.

Hopefully you just get your deposit back and move on. I'm not going to make any more comments as I'm just a regular joe that happens to have some of his swords (which I'm reasonably happy) and I 'm certainly not on anyone's side. Good Luck!

Happy

Stu
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have no problem with ferrules... I understand the disagreement with his statement for sure, but the use of ferrules was never a concern. I had a couple other concerns which I may or may not address depending on how things work out...

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Claymore Armoury: New Landesknecht and Lowland Commissions
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: