Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New sword from Rob Miller. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Darrin Hughes

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Aug, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: New sword from Rob Miller.         Reply with quote

I thought that I would share this with you as 1) I like it Happy and 2) it is because of this web-site that I heard of Rob Miller in the first place, when I read the review for the Castle Keep type XII.
I got in touch with Rob and discussed a number of ideas before settling on something similar to the review sword, but with a slightly more curved edge profile and shorter fuller, to give it a more distinctive type XII shape. The sword took a couple of trips between England and Scotland for fine tuning of the blade taper, and the end result is absolutely beautiful.
The cross is hand-forged, and has Pactum Serva, the personal motto of Edward I, engraved on it. According to Rob this was a sod to do because of the grain in the metal, but I like the way it worked out, as opposed to having the whole thing cast.
For those who might want some specs, the blade is 32 inches long, the point of balance is 5 1/2 inches from the cross, and the whole thing weighs 2lbs, 13 oz.
I was aiming for something that wouldn't look out of place in the late 13th/early 14th century, ie, Edward's time, and hopefully we've succeeded.

Cheers,
Darrin.

Attachment: 77.35 KB
DSCF0379.JPG

Attachment: 72.29 KB
2008_0829servapactum0005.JPG

Attachment: 76.79 KB
DSCF0436.JPG

Last edited by Darrin Hughes on Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Aug, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glad that review helped you out! Now you know for yourself what a great guy Rob is to work with and how nice his work is! Happy

Hopefully before to long I'll be introducing an entirely new smith to the forum this time with a very impressive seax.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Darrin Hughes

PostPosted: Thu 28 Aug, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Russ, you're right, Rob was very easy to deal with, and very patient as we went through the process of getting this just right.
I thought I'd post another picture of the sword. This time with the shield that I asked Allan Senefelder to make for me. Bit of a Plantagenet fixation here Happy I never thanked Allan publicly, so I thought that I would take this opportunity, as I've had a view pieces of off him now, all of them slightly customised, and he, like Rob, has always been a pleasure to deal with.

Cheers,
D

Attachment: 79.17 KB
2008_0829servapactum0008.JPG

Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Aug, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darrin,

Very cool! I'm somewhat of a Plantagenet fan myself (except Edward II) especially the Black Prince. Could you post a pic of the baclside of that shield?

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Aug, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice! I am in Rob's work queue, and he does seem very cordial. I just hope the British pound to US dollar ratio doesn't kill me Happy
" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Hugo Voisine

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Aug, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Darrin! I like Rob's work in general, and I have to say that this is one of my favorites.

Is the pommel screwed or peened ? Also, do you think you can post a photo with a closer look to the hilt ? I'd like to see the engraving in detail (it's a bit blurry on your first pic)...

Thanks for posting!

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Darrin Hughes

PostPosted: Fri 29 Aug, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugo. Rather than posting too many extra pictures I've changed the one in the first post to give a better view of the hilt. You were right, the first one wasn't great, so I took a couple indoors to get some better definition. The horizontal lines between the letters are not dodgy engraving, but the grain in the metal from the forging process. It would have been easier to have had this cast but I really liked the idea of a forged guard and Rob was keen to have a stab at it himself. The tang has been hot-peened as I wanted to try and get the sword as "period" as possible.

Nathan, I've taken a picture of the back of the shield. There is also a shoulder strap for this, but I took it off as I don't really need it. It was a lot easier photographing this than the swords, no annoying reflective surfaces Happy

Cheers,
Darrin.

ps, the last time I checked the Dollar was improving against the pound, as the pound is taking a dive at the moment.

Attachment: 72.49 KB
DSCF0432.JPG

Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Aug, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Darrin. I'm always interested in the construction of replicas. Regarding the sword I didn't realize that he did hot peen construction or I would've taken a closer look at his work. (Screwed on pommels are a pet peeve of mine)
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Stu C

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also in Rob's queue - looking forward to working with him (well, let's face it, it isn't me doing any of the work!) - Just got to figure out what I actually want him to make for me!
Stu
Marc Pengryffyn

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ignorant question alert! Were wire-wrapped grips used in the 13th and 14th centuries? I always thought they were later, but my ignorance is boundless,,,,

Regardless, that is a very beautiful sword. Congratulations!

Marc

Tradition is the illusion of permanence.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is nice, both the sword and shield. Nothing wrong with likeng Edward I. He was an amazing king and did remarkable things. Thanks for the pictures. Once you get your entire kit out with these items you have to get some more pictures up!!

RPM
Darrin Hughes

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just to address a couple of points. As far as the WW grip is concerned, I know that there are swords from the early/high Middle Ages that have wire-grips, which some argue are later additions, but if the capability to make these grips existed, which it did, then I don't see why some of them at least can't be original, especially as they seem to be high end swords, what we might think of as custom orders, rather than standard fare. To be honest, this is my interpretation of the evidence as I see it. If anyone has anything more concrete, either for or against, then I would certainly be interested in what they know.

Regarding a full kit to go with the sword and shield, I'd love to, but at the moment I'm trying to see if I can put together an Anglo/Norman kit that would be appropriate for the first crusade, so any thought of a late 13th/early 14th century kit is some way off. The sword and shield is all I had planned to get for this period, at least for the time being.

Cheers,
D.
Hugo Voisine

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the new picture Darrin. I agree that the forged guard gives the sword a more authentic feeling. Very cool stuff. Happy
« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Mon 01 Sep, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a great looking sword Darrin. Are the scabbard and belt from Rob as well? Whomever made them they look great as well. I agree with those who say that once the dollar improves against the pound Rob will more than likely be hearing from me.

Scott
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 01 Sep, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can think of one viking sword which Oakeshott felt had an original wire grip.

I would be comfortable with a wire grip from this era. Grips are always hard to pin down in terms of accuracy. Personally, I am not really into wire wraps most of the time but that is only personal. I don't think it would be necessarily ahistorical.

Jeremy
Darrin Hughes

PostPosted: Mon 01 Sep, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the comments. To answer Scott's question, the scabbard was made by Rob. I think that he had originally planned to get someone else to make the scabbards for him, but then decided to make them himself after studying other peoples efforts, and working out how they were done. It is as good as anything I've seen from anyone else, and better than most. The fit is snug, but not so tight as to mark up the blade, and the leather-work is very neatly done.

Cheers,
Darrin.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New sword from Rob Miller.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic