Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Battle of Rocroi in "Alatriste" movie Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 04 Oct, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
How these people managed to stay in formation in spite of incoming cannon fire is beyond me.

Training and experience, probably. Wink

Seriously. A modern soldier may be better protected by cover and dispersion, but modern weapons are also much more lethal and the morale support provided by friends was a lot more visible back then (compare somebody standing immediately next to you with another lying prone on the ground a couple of meters away and imagine which one would be the more heartening sight to any but the most experienced soldiers).
Hunter B.

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
M. Eversberg II wrote:
How these people managed to stay in formation in spite of incoming cannon fire is beyond me.

Training and experience, probably. Wink

Seriously. A modern soldier may be better protected by cover and dispersion, but modern weapons are also much more lethal and the morale support provided by friends was a lot more visible back then (compare somebody standing immediately next to you with another lying prone on the ground a couple of meters away and imagine which one would be the more heartening sight to any but the most experienced soldiers).

No, that bond is formed by humping klick after klick through injun country with them waiting to kill you. It's formed through constant FTXs, bunking with one another, and knowing the men in your fire team, eating chow together, pulling guard duty together, taking hostile incoming fire at 3am together and, finally, going back into a flaming APC under fire and pulling what's left of them out in the hopes that you might be able to patch enough of them back together so that his folk's will recognize their son at his own funeral.

While the tools of war have changed the bond that holds soldiers together today is the exact same as it was at Thermopylae. Men who train, eat, sleep, sweat, and bleed together will do anything, including sacrificing their own lives to see each other through.

“It is the loose ends with which men hang themselves.”
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to check it out but the Movie Alatriste in French seems to be available in Montréal as I read an advertising for it in an advertising circular a couple of days ago or a movie magazine ( The free kind you get at movie theatres ).

Will buy it if I can find it, don't know if there is also an English version although at times many DVDs have multiple alternate language sound tracks and there might be an English track also on the DVD. ( French or English makes no difference to me ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Marko Susimetsa

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been trying to find Alatriste on blu-ray for a long time now, but it just doesn't seem to be happening (got it on DVD already and the only blu-ray available is printed in German and has only German/Spanish soundtracks with NO subtitles in English). I've read that Mr. Mortensen has been trying to bring the movie to the US for several years now, but to no avail. If it ever happens, I hope he'll also be able to persuade someone to print a proper blu-ray of the movie.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Battle of Rocroi in "Alatriste" movie
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: