Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion's 10th Anniversary Sale Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Mike Harris

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own a few Albion swords, but have bought them all on the 2nd hand market. However, there is one sword I really want that I have never seen offered used, that one being a Reeve. This is such a great offer that I had to pick up the phone and call Albion to place an order for a Reeve. My first Albion sword bought new. As Mike informed me, it only takes $300 down and the balance on delivery. At least it spreads out the expense.

Before making this purchase, I looked at several used Albion Next Gen swords in the classified section, comparing the asking price to the discounted price of a new one. In all cases, it's less expensive to buy a new one, though you have to wait for it to be built. Mike said they are 12 weeks or less on delivery now.
Nathan Gilleland

PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott,

I know exactly what you mean! I've been saving for years, trying to scrounge enough pennies to afford an Albion Sovereign, but just don't have enough. (Just out of High School and in my second year of college.) I tried to talk my wife into pitching in the missing funds, but she just won't go for it. I guess some perfect things are just not meant to be at this time of my life.

I'll just have to save and buy it at full price. Worried

To everyone who is able to buy a sword and take advantage of this sale, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Seek Honor before Wealth,
Truth before Honor,
God Before all
Douglas G.

PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

25% off........and I just got the Crecy I ordered to beat the price hike. But 25% off...............looks like I'm sword shopping.
A question to members in New York, does anyone have a couch Mike Edelson can crash on? Dunno if his better half
has read his sound and logical if totally inadvisable argument for a sword buy, but if she does a guy might like a place
to lay low 'til it blows over. Looking out for you, bro!

Doug
Jonathan Atkin

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ack inner turnmoil get a shiny new Tritonia or get historical armour gaaaaah!!! no fair albion you torment me!!! Cry
"If I must choose between righteousness and peace, I choose righteousness''. - Theodore Roosevelt
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I pulled the trigger and ordered the Soldat. I was going to wait till Feburay but at 25% off I just had to do it. Now to start stacking up on plastic bottles.............. Evil
Winter is coming
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Douglas G. wrote:
A question to members in New York, does anyone have a couch Mike Edelson can crash on? Dunno if his better half has read his sound and logical if totally inadvisable argument for a sword buy, but if she does a guy might like a place to lay low 'til it blows over. Looking out for you, bro!

I appreciate it Doug, but my success speaks for itself. I own 9 Albions and have never slept on a couch. Happy

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I understand the nature in which the sale is offerred. It is meant to generate new orders, period.

My only wish is that there were more announcements of new models... I ordered a lot of swords from Albion in a short period of time, and still have many on pre-order. The only thing that is stopping me from ordering more swords is that I ordered every single sword I was interested in... I only wish there were new models announced in both the museum line and next gen line Sad

The discount is generous though... I'm going to have to look hard again, maybe the knecht or something will become tempting at the discounted price...
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
The discount is generous though... I'm going to have to look hard again, maybe the knecht or something will become tempting at the discounted price...

Man oh man, I wish I could get a knecht. Go for it! Do it for me. haha

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd get a Munich, but I already decided I want the museum version of that sword from Albion, or if for some reason Albion doesn't go forward with the museum level version of that sword, I'll go custom with someone else... the original is just so nice and detailed. I'd have to see the knecht in person to see how interested I'd be... unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to do that until I go to the Vegas show in Jan...
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
I understand the nature in which the sale is offerred. It is meant to generate new orders, period.

My only wish is that there were more announcements of new models... I ordered a lot of swords from Albion in a short period of time, and still have many on pre-order. The only thing that is stopping me from ordering more swords is that I ordered every single sword I was interested in... I only wish there were new models announced in both the museum line and next gen line Sad

Maybe I can help.

Do you have one of their XVa's, like the Talhoffer, Agincourt, Fiore, etc.? The Talhoffer is my second favorite Albion.

I know you have the Svante, but do you have the Brescia? In my opinion the Brescia is the best production sword, bar none, maybe the best modern (as in modern made) sword of all time, from anyone.

The Earl and Regent are both beautiful swords, though if you already have the Svante you've filled your need for a good hollow ground blade.

Do you have a Tritonia? It's a wonderful sword...something about it that commands awe.

The Reeve is a neat little sword...hard to appreciate when you first hold it...definitely grows on you.

Do you have a Duke or Baron? Both are excellent examples of early war swords.

The St. Maurice sword is physically imposing and very ipressive, not to mention unique and interesting.

The Crecy is a wonderful little sword. Very simple, yet elegant and beautiful.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Clayton Woods
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
I'd get a Munich, but I already decided I want the museum version of that sword from Albion, or if for some reason Albion doesn't go forward with the museum level version of that sword, I'll go custom with someone else... the original is just so nice and detailed. I'd have to see the knecht in person to see how interested I'd be... unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to do that until I go to the Vegas show in Jan...

Well, I hear you on wanting to hold the Knecht before you buy it. I have to resist the urge every time I walk by the show blade to pick it up and go forth to slay. Big Grin

My wife (who I will note is not yet in any way trained with swords) may have summed up the Knecht best. To paraphrase: The Valkyrja makes me want to go forth and conquer England. The Svante makes me want to go forth and conquer Europe. The Knecht makes me want to just go forth in great carnage and dismember people.

-----
Clayton R. Woods
Buckleheads Casting Dept.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nothing in stock so the temptation is gone for me.

Whew!

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe I can help.

I know you have the Svante, but do you have the Brescia? In my opinion the Brescia is the best production sword, bar none, maybe the best modern (as in modern made) sword of all time, from anyone.

I do have the Brescia. I agree it is very, very nice. The dramatic blade and dramatic guard, as well as the handling is beautiful and impressive.

Quote:
The Earl and Regent are both beautiful swords, though if you already have the Svante you've filled your need for a good hollow ground blade.

I like both of those swords, but I already have a kingmaker and the Svante...

Quote:
Do you have a Tritonia? It's a wonderful sword...something about it that commands awe.

That is a possibility, it is just that once you have the top two: Svante and Brescia, the motivation level decreases a bit. I do like the Tritonia. I chose the Valkyrje instead... I know they are different but... The Tritonia is tempting. I wish the sword show in Vegas was next week, that would be convenient.

Quote:
The Reeve is a neat little sword...hard to appreciate when you first hold it...definitely grows on you.

Do you have a Duke or Baron? Both are excellent examples of early war swords.

I'm waiting on the Chevalier final release and pictures: I put a deposit down 6 months ago for a Chevalier vs Oakeshott. I have a feeling I'm going to end up switching the deposit to the Oakeshott, but I should know soon enough once the Chevallier prototype is finished very soon.

Quote:
The St. Maurice sword is physically imposing and very ipressive, not to mention unique and interesting.

The Crecy is a wonderful little sword. Very simple, yet elegant and beautiful.

So far I have received or ordered:

The Decurio

The Valkyrja

The Oakeshott vs Chevalier

The Discerner (hehe)

The Kingmaker

The Svante

The Brescia Spadona

The Markgraf

The Dane

The Maximillian

To me, those were the must have's... It would be great to own them all, but I don't think anyone owns every single sword available Happy Problem also is that I have about 8 pole weapons (5 with 3 more on the way), 4 maces, 4 flails, a few hammers, and a bunch of other stuff ... so I have to limit myself in some fashion. The custom version of the Thorpe falchion is still in progress as well...

I'm really just hoping Albion releases more new models, new projects, and more museum line versions in particular.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:
What kills me is that nothing I have tried has persuaded my wife to let me order a sword. Even the one about it being an investment. Sad At least I have a week to wear her down. Though I do see her point since she is only working part time as a sub. Cry

Does anyone else have any thoughts on tactics to use?

How about....

"In what part of our marriage vows did I swear to give up my freedom of choice as a human being and become your slave? If you agree that we are an equal partnership, and you'd better agree or we're going to have problems, then it is fair for you to deny me the purchase of an expensive luxury item such a sword. In this economic climate, luxuries are our last priority. That is why from now on, you are not to buy any make up or other specialty feminine hygiene products. You already have a husband, I don't give a damn what you look like, and you shouldn't care what other people think. Furthermore, no more ice cream or cake or any luxury food. I have decided that all money spent on this stuff (much more per anum than any sword) would be better spent in a high yield savings account or other safe investment. Disobey me on this, and there will be an Albion in my mailbox. We are an equal partnership, and what one can do, the other can do."

You asked... Happy

(and it's for a good cause!)

Michael,
Are you married? If so you have the coolest wife. Or you keep all your dangerous toys locked away where she caanot get to them. I knew I shouldn't have taught my wife to shoot! Eek!

On a positive note, I think I am getting to her. Her biggest thing is that if the sword comes up at the same time as my turn in line with A&A for a custom axe does. I guess I am going to be sleeping on the couch since she doesn't know about being on Russ Ellis' waiting list for a scabbard and belt for myCF/AT1423. Eek!

Scott
Travis C.

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: sale         Reply with quote

YEEEEESSSSSSSS!
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
That is a possibility, it is just that once you have the top two: Svante and Brescia, the motivation level decreases a bit. I do like the Tritonia. I chose the Valkyrje instead... I know they are different but... The Tritonia is tempting. I wish the sword show in Vegas was next week, that would be convenient.

I hear what you're saying, but I don't look at it that way. To me, all Albions are the same. The only difference is museum line vs. next gen, because one is an exact repro the others are historically correct "original" designs.

That's why the Svante annoys me. Happy It shouldn't cost a dime more than the Brescia. Or, and I may be murdered for this, the Brescia should cost as much as the Svante.

Quote:
I'm waiting on the Chevalier final release and pictures: I put a deposit down 6 months ago for a Chevalier vs Oakeshott. I have a feeling I'm going to end up switching the deposit to the Oakeshott, but I should know soon enough once the Chevallier prototype is finished very soon.

The Oakeshott has a fascinating blade geometry!

Quote:
So far I have received or ordered:

Nuts, you beat me by 1! Now I have to go and get another one... Happy

Scott Kowalski wrote:
Michael,
Are you married? If so you have the coolest wife. Or you keep all your dangerous toys locked away where she caanot get to them. I knew I shouldn't have taught my wife to shoot! Eek!

My wife is a crack shot with an AR-15. Happy

We have a very simple way of being married...I don't control her, she doesn't control me. People only have power over you if you give it to them. As well as she can shoot, I'm better. Happy

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:
Michael,

My wife is a crack shot with an AR-15. Happy

We have a very simple way of being married...I don't control her, she doesn't control me. People only have power over you if you give it to them. As well as she can shoot, I'm better. Happy

Unfortunately even I need to sleep sometimes! Ans those are the times that scare me. The couch is looking better since I would hear her coming. You are a very wise man sir.

Scott
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael, apart from time spent on research I think the sword costs simply come down to the manufacturing time required. The Svante looks like is is more compliacted in every aspect than the Brescia. I say this having only seen photos of each. I swear, the fact that you guys have all these blade shows is enough reason for me to want to shift to the States, then I could get to see all these sword in the steel. There are very few Albion owners in New Zealand I believe.

Chris although it probably isn't fancy enough for you I do not think you would regret becoming part of the Knight owners club. I also don't see how you could go past the Sovereign either, quite a detailed little beast ( I get mine next month).

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do like the sovereign... I'm still thinking about it.

I also like the Prince... but I chose the Kingmaker over it when the time came a while back. I still eye up the Prince, it was a tough call... Again, I just think it comes down to how many one can manage...

I also have a pappenheimer comng in sometime by the end of next year from V. Cerevenka, the Thorpe Falchion custom, a German rapier from A&A, a swiss or similar saber from CF, possibly another custom project with CF, and I'm going to keep some spaces open for upcoming releases from Albion... I can only hope Albion moves forward sooner, rather than later on new releases.

The most tempting of the remaining current Albion's (tempting to me) are the Knecht, the Prince, the Sovereign, The Tritonia, St Maurice perhaps, and the Regent... The Solingen is knda nice too Happy

Anyway, the Oakeshott is essentially a museum level sword and one of the most impressive comments about it comes from not only Peter himself, but from someone who owns all of the museum level swords and said the Oakeshott was his favorite. I can't imagine liking anything much more than the Svante. I like every purchase so far and I'm sure I'd like them all, so again, it just comes down to drawing the line somewhere. I'm actually quite excited about the Oakeshott... Perhaps others, like me, are waiting to see how the Chevalier turns out before deciding. The will use the same blade and should handle in a similar fashion. I guess it will come down to getting a more detailed chevalier (assuming the flower pommel and guard look great) vs the Oakeshott, which has some seriously strong recommendations and is essentially a museum grade sword per se... Peter discussed the grip on the Chevalier recently as well...

I wonder if anyone here is already 100% decided on the Chevalier instead of the Oakeshott? I can't imagine owning both, they are just too similar... Just as the Tyrolean and Maximillian... I would imagine people are going to buy one or the other...
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:

Sound like two " adults " living together even if you seem to both like playing with dangerous toys. Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion's 10th Anniversary Sale
Page 3 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: