Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > modern reproduction qama? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject: modern reproduction qama?         Reply with quote

Does anyone know of any good reproduction qama that might be available, or of anyone with plans to provide them in the future?
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is a reproduction from Atlanta Cutlery.

Their ad copy reads as follows:

Qama (#1-170) Used by warriors from Persia to the Caucasus for hundreds of years, this lightning fast, grimly effective, close quarter combat knife evolved from centuries of use.

Made of hand forged, high carbon steel in India by the government contractor for military knives.

With its long needle point on a 17 1/2" long, double-edge blade, the Qama is a deadly close combat design that dates back to the Roman Short Sword. The Qama was used with success by the Cossacks and Northern Persians. Considered to be the national weapon of Russian Georgia.

Buffalo horn handle scales. 22 1/2" overall. #1-170$32.95

~~~~~
If you point your browser towards
www.atlantacutlery.com , you will be re-directed to their page. Look in the section for Ethnic Knives and Swords; the qama is listed on the first page of that sub-section.

The price looks right but shipping to the UK may bring the value per cost down.

Cheers

Glen
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
There is a reproduction from Atlanta Cutlery.

Their ad copy reads as follows:

Qama (#1-170) Used by warriors from Persia to the Caucasus for hundreds of years, this lightning fast, grimly effective, close quarter combat knife evolved from centuries of use.

Made of hand forged, high carbon steel in India by the government contractor for military knives.

With its long needle point on a 17 1/2" long, double-edge blade, the Qama is a deadly close combat design that dates back to the Roman Short Sword. The Qama was used with success by the Cossacks and Northern Persians. Considered to be the national weapon of Russian Georgia.

Buffalo horn handle scales. 22 1/2" overall. #1-170$32.95

~~~~~
If you point your browser towards
www.atlantacutlery.com , you will be re-directed to their page. Look in the section for Ethnic Knives and Swords; the qama is listed on the first page of that sub-section.

The price looks right but shipping to the UK may bring the value per cost down.

Cheers

Glen

Thanks Glen
Definitely looks like a good price.
Geoff
Eugene George

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: I have it...         Reply with quote

It's a decent piece, functional. One of the handle scales is a tiny bit loose, but that's nothing a decent epoxy wouldn't fix.

I'd hate to have someone chasing me around with one.

Britanniam Video!
Galliam Video!
Subligacula Aliquae Video! - Author Unknown
David White

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would agree. A friend of mine has one that I've handled a bit. Its light and fast with a very wicked point.
Its a simple construction but all the better, very functional and yes, very nasty looking.

dave
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the information gentlemen. The point does look very fine and slender. Would you have any fear of it breaking?
Geoff
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We'll see if that works. If it shows, it is the picture from the site.

Windlass stuff is generally soft enough that it would probably bend a couple of times before it broke.

Cheers

Glen
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had one of the Windlass Qama. It was a pretty decent piece for the price. Mine was solid and pretty clean. The only flaw that was really noticeable was on mine the tang symetry was abysmal... One side was far wider than the opposite edge. No big deal since the scales were carved to even it all out, but it was easy to see. On the other hand, the tang was thick enough that I would never have worried about a failure there. The only other thing on mine was that the rivets were kind of uncomfortable. I imagine that might just be a matter of gettin accustomed to the style, though... Overall, I wouldn't mind having mine back (since I sold it ). I think rather than buy another one, though, I am going to just make my own when I get the chance.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Wed 17 Sep, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: tried Atlanta but ....         Reply with quote

An update ......... Oh Well. I tried an e-mail to Atlanta for a little more information, but no reply a fortnight later, so I think maybe they wouldn't be my best choice to deal with (perhaps they concentrate on their home market - makes sense). Still, thanks to everyone for all the information.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 17 Sep, 2003 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: tried Atlanta but ....         Reply with quote

Geoff Wood wrote:
An update ......... Oh Well. I tried an e-mail to Atlanta for a little more information, but no reply a fortnight later, so I think maybe they wouldn't be my best choice to deal with (perhaps they concentrate on their home market - makes sense). Still, thanks to everyone for all the information.

They, nor Museum Replicas have ever responded to any of my email messages.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 18 Sep, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By the way, some folks recommend buying this weapon, narrowing the tang and rehilting as a gladius. If you're handy, $35 plus, say, $15 for hardwood and bone hilt furniture is hard to beat for a gladius.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 19 Sep, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: tried Atlanta but ....         Reply with quote

The first time I placed an internet order with MRL, there was no confirmation e-mail and after a few days I e-d them. Their reply came after the sword did. They also have had some intrnet shopping cart issues when items are backordered.

When in doubt, best to phone;
Work Phone: 800-883-0300
Fax:770-388-0246

It's best to phone during their business hours because after hour operators are often very indirectly connected to the process.

I waited a month for an item, only to find the order had never been processed. A phone call took care of the doubt and they sent me a freebie for my troubles (albiet a very cheap knife).

Cheers

Glen

~~~~~
Geoff Wood wrote:
Eugene George

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Most definitely         Reply with quote

Call them... They're nice people.
Britanniam Video!
Galliam Video!
Subligacula Aliquae Video! - Author Unknown

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > modern reproduction qama?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic