Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Pommel shapes: looks or balance? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Pommel shapes: looks or balance?         Reply with quote

Hey folks,
I've been thinking about pommel shapes and how often they appear on certain types. Looking through Oakeshott's Records, it seems that wheel pommels and brazil nut pommels were used extensively on cutting swords, while scent-stopper and fish-tail-shaped pommels don't show up much at all in those types. By my count, here are the number of non-wheel or brazil-nut pommels from Records broken down by type:

X: 0
XI: 0
XII: 0
XIII: 0
XIIIA: 1

XIV: 1
XV: 6
XVI: 1
XVII: 7
XVIII: 9
XIX: 5
XX: 6

I've color-coded the types by what I see as their primary function (I'm sure this may spark debate). Cutting swords are red, cut and thrust swords are green, thrusting swords are blue.

In general, it seems that cutting swords have a POB farther out than thrusting swords. Scent stoppers and fish-tail pommels are at their widest farther away from the hand. Would that concentration of mass tend to pull the POB toward the hand any more than a wheel pommel of the exact same weight? If so, is that why we don't see them much on cutting swords?

Also, some wheel pommels distal taper: ie they are thicker near the hand. Would that have any effect on balance versus a pommel of the same weight that had no taper? (Maybe it makes no difference at all)

Or is pommel shape dictated solely by fashion?

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I certainly don't know one way or the other in terms of thrusting swords vs. cutting ones, but I will say that the pommel shape definately affects the feel of the sword. It's exactly as you say, the distribution of mass is different. I remember Gus saying that he'd let Christian Tobler test out a longsword that had a wheel pommel, I believe. Christian liked it a lot, but I believe suggested a pear shaped pommel that was closer to more common German swords of the style. Gus said it would throw the sword off, even if it were the same weight, but he did it anyway just to see what Christian said. In the end, they agreed, that even though the pommels weighed the same, the original pommel felt better. (I'm citing what Gus said about this from memory, so I could be off on the details a little, but you get the overall point.)
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The shape of a pommel definitely affects the finished sword's balance. It really doesn't take much either.

So the answer pretty much has to be both.... both for aesthetic and balance reasons, and the emphasis would be up to the sword's new owner, the swordsmith, or the cutler, same as today..........

Auld Dawg

swords are fun
Brian M

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that to address this topic one must also account for the fact that the various types of fishtail/scentstopper pommels were very likely designed to function as a part of the grippable surface, unlike wheel or brazil nut pommels.

Brian M
David R. Glier

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While it seems obvious there woud be some difference, couldn't that be countered by adjusting the length of the handle?
It doesn't seem like it would take much difference to take up that change in mass distribution...
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 29 Apr, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am guessing that if weight and balance were the only issues, adjusting the handle length would work well. Perhaps the issue of harmonics plays a role. If the pommel is part of "tuning" a sword, both in static balance and harmonics, the shape and weight distribution within the pommel itself might be significant.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 30 Apr, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Time and fashion may also play a role here. Brazil nut pommels are not being made after around 1300. I think you will find few, if any fishtails or scentstoppers made before 1300. The wheel pommels just kept marching on.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 30 Apr, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Time and fashion may also play a role here. Brazil nut pommels are not being made after around 1300. I think you will find few, if any fishtails or scentstoppers made before 1300. The wheel pommels just kept marching on.

I just wonder if it's because you only have cutting swords before 1300 (primarily). Perhaps a brazil-nut distributes the mass in a way that would be undesirable in a thrusting sword or cut and thrust, while a scent-stopper pommel might pull too much mass away from the hand and be inappropriate for a cutting sword.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Fri 30 Apr, 2004 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Fri 30 Apr, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:

I just wonder if it's because you only have c utting swords before 1300 (primarily). Perhaps a brazil-nut distributes the mass in a way that would be undesirable in a thrusting sword or cut and thrust, while a scent-stopper pommel might pull too much mass away from the hand and be inappropriate for a cutting sword.

Or, to look at it another way, maybe the brazil nut pommel serves better to stop a sword that is being swung in a cut from slipping from the hand (as does an upper guard on the even earlier swords). Once thrust predominates, scent stoppers can take over because the sword is less likely to slip out of the hand when thrusting than when cutting
(again, maybe).
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Wed 12 May, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
... (I'm citing what Gus said about this from memory, so I could be off on the details a little, but you get the overall point.)

Your memory has served you well, my friend...this is just what happened at last year's Benicia symposium. Greg Mele's read on it was similar to mine.

Take care,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Pommel shapes: looks or balance?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic