Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Regent prototype pic at last! Oh, and some others... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Sun 11 Apr, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Albion Regent prototype pic at last! Oh, and some others...         Reply with quote

Finally, the heart-wrenchingly beautiful Regent has been assembled!

Oh, be still my beating heart! I have never been so incredibly tempted to buy a western sword. I've seen more beautiful, but never in a production piece.

Oh, and they're also going on about something called the Duke, and some other stuff, at www.albionarmorers.com , but whatever. I mean, it's the Regent...

Haha. As you can tell, I really like this sword. Dang it, oftentimes I feel like I should be responsible and discerning in my Japanese sword and Japanese styled sword choices, but you western sword collectors out there get to buy whatever you like! WinkBig Grin
James Byrnes

PostPosted: Sun 11 Apr, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.albionarmorers.com Try that link.

James

"Farewell sweet friend, I was a thousand times more evil than thou. "

Rocky Mountain Historical Combat Guild
All Saints Blades
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Sun 11 Apr, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Albion Regent prototype pic at last! Oh, and some other         Reply with quote

Maybe you can buy it when I pay for your Bushido. (If I pay, HA HA HA HA HA!!! Just kidding, auction ends in 10 minutes, getting $580 as of know).

Gabriel Lebec wrote:
Finally, the heart-wrenchingly beautiful Regent has been assembled!

Oh, be still my beating heart! I have never been so incredibly tempted to buy a western sword. I've seen more beautiful, but never in a production piece.

Oh, and they're also going on about something called the Duke, and some other stuff, at www.albiobarmorers.com , but whatever. I mean, it's the Regent...

Haha. As you can tell, I really like this sword. Dang it, oftentimes I feel like I should be responsible and discerning in my Japanese sword and Japanese styled sword choices, but you western sword collectors out there get to buy whatever you like! WinkBig Grin

How can there be a perfect sword when PEOPLE come in all shapes and sizes too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Believe me, Aaron, I would, I would.

But that 10.5" nagasa shobu-zukuri forge-folded Howard Clark tanto of mine keeps moving up in the queue to be polished and mounted... and I'd prefer to have a little $$ in the bank when the bill comes around. Happy
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

believe me, I would want it too. Hollow ground... drool...

but at $950 that is a bit of a hit on the wallet. Plus John Lundemo is making me a hollow ground sword soon, I have to pay that guy off first.

Gabriel Lebec wrote:
Believe me, Aaron, I would, I would.

But that 10.5" nagasa shobu-zukuri forge-folded Howard Clark tanto of mine keeps moving up in the queue to be polished and mounted... and I'd prefer to have a little $$ in the bank when the bill comes around. Happy

How can there be a perfect sword when PEOPLE come in all shapes and sizes too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Robert W. Betten

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriel Lebec wrote:
But that 10.5" nagasa shobu-zukuri forge-folded Howard Clark tanto of mine keeps moving up in the queue to be polished and mounted...

Hey Gabriel what hamon style does your HC have? Is it in base or rough forge polish? sounds like a very yummy piece...I want a HC myself but polishing, mounting and quality koshirae costs are way out for me. lol

*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

According to Mr. Clark it's a gentle notare. Still in binsui polish (but not for long!).
I'm actually not giving it full mounts, just a nice alder shirasaya. Would love to fully mount it but I can't afford it for the time being. I might be able to afford a fancy habaki, though - personally I adore niju habaki of shakudo and gold/silver, but I doubt I'll be able to get that fancy.

Only got one pic, and it's a pretty basic one, but should give you an idea. Happy

Attachment: 38.69 KB
[ Download ]
Robert W. Betten

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, very beautiful looking piece...and nice move on the fittings, do it bit by bit type thing. better than getting full show koshirae straight away. Happy
*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ha!

That Regent should end up on my doorstep in a day or two. Big Grin

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Markus Haider

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Regent has arrived, and it is a wonderful sword. Beautifully executed, and very clean, while handling incredibly well, fast and with a impressive blade presence at the same time. I had never held such a sword. Albion and Peter Johnsson outdid themselves with this sword. The hollow ground is very well done and doesn't take away anything from the edge stability, while making the blade very, very stiff. A cut-and-thrust sword par excellance!

Some quick numbers, because they were asked last week or so:
Length: 122 cm (48")
Blade: 95 cm (37.4")
Width of the Cross: 24 cm (9.44")
Length of the grip: 19 cm (7.5")
PoB: 12 cm (4.72")
CoP: ca 62 cm (the blade is very stiff, and it is hard to measure) (ca. 24.6")
Weight: ca. 1520 g (mechanical scale)
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Wed 05 May, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Regent is very, very, very, very nice.

It's probably the best handling longsword for me to date, and it feels about a pound and 4 oz or more lighter than its real weight. I htink a person could use it with one hand, though it feels more natural with 2.

I'm glad Joe brought his to the last Ohio gathering, no doubt!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Regent prototype pic at last! Oh, and some others...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic