Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Celtic Helmet Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
John Piscopo

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 11 May, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Celtic Helmet         Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

Peter from Germany has offered me this helmet for 12,800 euros, $15,360. He says that it comes from Bulgaria but I do not believe it is Thracian. Chris Webber's The Thracians 700 BC - AD 46 shows six helmets on page 23, and two more on the next page, none of which resemble this one. In my experience, conical helmets are more likely to be Asiatic. Any opinions would be welcome. The condition appears excellent. I would caution you to assume some degree of restoration on any ancient helmet.

Attachment: 18.19 KB
Celtic1.JPG

Attachment: 40.09 KB
Celtic2.jpg

Attachment: 60.21 KB
Celtic3.jpg

I collect swords and bayonets dated WWI back to the Bronze Age from the US and Europe and ancient swords and other weapons from Eurasia. I participate in many historical forums for the study of ancient history and weapons. I am happy to share what expertise I have. John Piscopo
John Piscopo

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 11 May, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Celtic Helmet         Reply with quote

My Bavarian friend Karl who sent me the picture let me know that the picture came from Barry Cunliffe's The Celtic World (Page 59, "They have bronze helmets with tall crests, which give their wearers the appearance of enormous height" Diodorus Siculus). The typical Celtic helmet had a narrow projecting neck guard (which might otherwise be mistaken for a peak) and was often provided with hinged ear flaps. Occasionally they supported the horns and other protuberances which Posidonius noted.

The helmet with the bird head was found at Ciumesti in Romania.

Another picture is found in his book The Ancient Celts. Page 148a XIIIb Left. Helmet made of iron and bronze covered with gold and inset with coral from Agris, Charante, France. Fourth Century BC. The decoration is characteristic of the Vegetal Style of the Celtic art. Musee de la Societe Archeologiquue de la Charante, Angouleme.

I would caution anyone that purchasing such a helmet is a major investment, if I were making the purchase I would want a guarantee of authenticity and I would take it to an authentication service to have it inspected and its age confirmed.

Attachment: 58.68 KB
[ Download ]

I collect swords and bayonets dated WWI back to the Bronze Age from the US and Europe and ancient swords and other weapons from Eurasia. I participate in many historical forums for the study of ancient history and weapons. I am happy to share what expertise I have. John Piscopo

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Celtic Helmet
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic