Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arrows vs armour Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19, 20, 21  Next 
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It would be interesting to hear from someone with experience how much difference there is in the manufacturing process between a bodkin and a broadhead.

Can you start with the same stock? (Sheet, round bar, sqaure stock?)
Can you make a broad head without filing work needed after shaping?
Can you make a bodkin without filing needed?
Is there any significant difference in the skillset needed to make a broadhead over a bodkin?

Could it be that the bodkin is optimized not for efficiency in the target, but productivity in the smithy?

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
William P

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

general purpose id say.
a short bodkin hs its uses, can just do stuff not any one thing all too well but itll accomplish most jobs, and its cheap to make.

oh and apparently bodkins are better at flying long distances according to dan, and bede dwyer
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Bodkins" were shaped that way so that they'd fly a long distance. They are aerodynamic and don't weigh too much. And the general shape has been in use since long before mail was invented. (I think this has been mentioned before?)

Since there were always plenty of unarmored targets on a battlefield, unhardened points could have a great effect on an army without ever penetrating armor. Even if most of your body is covered by protection that you are *pretty* sure no arrow can penetrate unless the archer is quite close and lucky, that doesn't make you invulnerable. You still have to worry about all your less protected bits. And even if you are pretty sure an arrow through your foot won't kill you, it doesn't make you happier about charging into an area where arrows are raining down, aimed or not. So arrows are extremely disruptive, whether they penetrate armor or not. (Pretty sure *this* has been mentioned before, but it's worth repeating!)

Matthew
Matt Easton

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In response to the question about all the iron bodkins - as mentioned above of course they have all sorts of uses, but what is perhaps most interesting is that clearly lots of them were being made against Royal decree in England, otherwise successive kings would not have needed to re-issue the Act. So they wanted hardened steel heads, but probably naughty people were churning out cheaper iron heads (and perhaps selling them at the price of steel heads).

You only need to make a law if there is a problem.

Schola Gladiatoria - www.swordfightinglondon.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria
Antique Swords: www.antique-swords.co.uk/
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We know that English had certain arrows devoted to longer-range shots. My theory is that bodkins were made of iron because they were never intended to penetrate armour. Their principal purpose was to "gall the enemy at range". The compact broadheads were made of steel because they were the short range arrows and if you want even a tiny chance of penetrating armour then it has to be at short range and the heads have to be hardened. The simplest way to counter the above hypothesis is to produce a single English bodkin made of hardened steel and present an alternative arrowhead for English flight arrows.

The above theory is then used to help explain why heavy warbows were used in the first place. It was to help cast a heavy war-arrow to a greater distance than had ever been possible before. Any increased ability to penetrate armour was purely incidental.
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
Dan,

The same RA study posted above includes a hardened short bodkin/quarrel head arrow..... not sure what the issue is. If that is all required no one needs look any further.

I just reread the last few pages and not sure any one is saying the long needle bodkins were used to counter plate, quite the contrary.

RPM

I said that it isn't an entirely implausible claim to make.

(a) An acute long pyramid is an excellent geometry for penetrating plate.

(b) It can only penetrate if it doesn't curl, crumple, or break.

So, the question to ask is: How acute can a pyramidal head be to survive hitting plate? Useful to ask for hardened and unhardened. The shorter, fatter examples of type 7s and similar look plausible (whether or not these are real type 7s, I know not, since I don't have a copy of Ward-Perkins or a suitable summary; but I see them labelled as "type 7" and "needle bodkins").

The needle bodkin in Mark Stretton's tests (in Secrets of the English war bow) curled up (on plate, and on brigandine), but needle bodkins have survived in other tests. For example, Jones, Materials Characterization 29, 111-117 (1992), http://www.currentmiddleages.org/artsci/docs/...esting.pdf .

The needle bodkin in Bourke & Whetham (Arms & Armour 4, 53-81, (2007)) also curled up. Bourke and Whetham suggest that Jones' bodkin survived because his arrow energies were too low. They also note that dropped penetrator tests don't replicate arrow strikes, even with the same energies, and in this they are quite correct. An arrow moves faster than the heavier dropped penetrator, so the drop-test is less likely to break the arrowhead.

So, on the lower-energy tests, needle bodkins survive (tests using approx 70lb bows), but on higher-energy tests, they curl up. This isn't enough testing of bodkin-curling to be decisive - more would be useful.

One possibility is that needle bodkins were intended for long-range shooting, and the blunter heads for short-range shooting. In the tests where they didn't curl up, they were effective. In Champ, the best of the heads tested, and in Jones, they penetrated the thinner armour. You won't penetrate thicker plate at long range - not enough energy, no matter what arrowhead you use.

Some of the Turko-Mongol pyramidal heads I've seen have curled tips, so curling is a real-life hazard for such heads.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
We know that English had certain arrows devoted to longer-range shots. My theory is that bodkins were made of iron because they were never intended to penetrate armour. Their principal purpose was to "gall the enemy at range". The compact broadheads were made of steel because they were the short range arrows and if you want even a tiny chance of penetrating armour then it has to be at short range and the heads have to be hardened. The simplest way to counter the above hypothesis is to produce a single English bodkin made of hardened steel and present an alternative arrowhead for English flight arrows.

What's the difference in weight between the compact broadheads and long bodkins? How much difference is there in range? Long bodkins are not lightweight heads, so they don't look like a good choice for long-range heads just on the basis of range. If they offer a good compromise between range and penetration (which is plausible), then they're a good candidate for long-range shooting.

Or if they're much cheaper, then they might be a good choice.

For Turkish long-range war arrows versus short-range, 20g versus 40g (Turkish arrows are really light compared to English). There might be an even bigger difference between Korean long- and short-range arrows. The Turkish and Korean long-range arrows are also shorter (sub-draw length, so an arrow guide is needed), which reduces the drag. AFAIK, the arrow guide wasn't used in Western Europe, so the most important factors would be overall weight, and fletching style. I don't know whether the head shape would be more important than the shaft shape, as long as the head is compact.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Ian S LaSpina

Reading list: 5 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:

The above theory is then used to help explain why heavy warbows were used in the first place. It was to help cast a heavy war-arrow to a greater distance than had ever been possible before. Any increased ability to penetrate armour was purely incidental.

It seems like all of these 'tests' only consider the energy of the bow at short range. At long range, once the arrow reaches the peak of the parabolic arc it's flying in, the main force acting on the arrow accelerating it towards the earth is gravity, not the draw weight of the bow. Assuming long range arrows impact at high angles of attack to the ground, there's very little horizontal component of force left acting on the arrow, and that's the ONLY thing that draw weight is affecting at this point. All the vertical vector component of force is purely a function of gravity.

Obviously a higher draw weight means you can reach out and touch someone further down range, but the impact force is limited by terminal velocity, not poundage of the bow. Granted, higher draw weights will get you higher in the air, meaning more time to accelerate due to gravity and greater potential to reach terminal velocity, maximizing impact force. All these impact tests would have to be assuming close range shots when the arrow's trajectory is nearly flat and the majority of the force acting on the arrow is the horizontal vector component (i.e. draw weight), not gravity.

I think that this lends weight to Dan's theory that bodkins are not intended to penetrate armor at long range but maximize the distance advantage granted by a heavy draw weight warbow. The bodkin is a great shape aerodynamically to minimize drag to get extra distance and harass the opponent's lines far beyond their ability to reach out and touch you.

The other byproduct of a heavy weight bow is that a compact broadhead like the type 16s, when hardened, impacts with such force at close range that it has the greatest chance of actually defeating armor. But like it's been said, an un-hardened arrow head penetrating plate armor is pure luck or faulty armor. Modern bullets have a hard time penetrating hardened steel, but go through mild steel like butter. Arrows surely didn't have it any easier when coming up against a heat-treated breastplate. And until hardened bodkins turn up, it only makes sense that it was the role of the compact broadhead at close range to attempt any sort of armor penetration.

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timo Nieminen wrote:
What's the difference in weight between the compact broadheads and long bodkins? How much difference is there in range? Long bodkins are not lightweight heads, so they don't look like a good choice for long-range heads just on the basis of range. If they offer a good compromise between range and penetration (which is plausible), then they're a good candidate for long-range shooting.

IMO they were a compromise between a true flight head and something that can actually inflict some damage when it hits a target.
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timo,

One thing that is important with the bodkin and possible penetration is what likely will increase the bodkin tips from curling upon impact. The longer and thinner it is the less likely it is to hold up to such an impact. I really think we are looking at two different heads in reality.

Ian,

Since most breastplates in the medieval period are not heat treated it remains an issue still. So for heat treated ones true but for the bulk of them not the case.

That said I am not convinced any of these heads were specifically made for penetrating armour by distance specifically.

RPM
William P

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

its also been noted that arrows shot at a high angle into the air, on the way back down they gain a fair bit of momentum back on their way back to earth. so a 'plate cutter head might have a surprising amount of force behind it at semi long range..
William P

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

oh and here are the russian bodkins i mentioned earlier note the ones im talking about are number 10, 11, 12
these would possibly be quite nasty anti maile bodkins
http://xxx.xxx/uploads/2011/medwed-bown/arrows05.gif

Table 15 iron arrowheads, X c.
1, 33, 34, 36, 37 - Gnezdovo burial, 2, 3, 5, 6, 21 - Polomsky burial, 4 - burial tan;
7 - burial Vesyakarsky Bieger-shai, 8 - Igorev mound, 9 - Tumovskoe Selishche, 10-12, 38 - Settlement Alchedar,
13, 14, 18, ​​22 - Kniazha Hill, 15, 17, 20, 23 - Devic-Mount, 16 - Toompea Kiev, 19, 31 - Borkowski burial, 24, 28 - Timerovsky burial;
25 - Bilyar, 26 - Sarkel - White Tower, 27, 29, 30, 32, 35 - Novgorod.

these are 10th century heads by the way
R. Kolick

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:

I do agree that it may be Accidental that the short bodkin is good at piercing armor but that’s not what we are talking about. And I agree that at maximum distance even a plate cutter arrow head (bodkin or compact broadhead or otherwise) wouldn’t always cut through armor but it could do damage. The reason some people are here is because others are saying that these arrows even when made of steel couldn’t penetrate the body armor of a fully armored knight even at close range. Again at extreme distances this is not likely but possible but at close range this should be highly likely
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe you need to read through this thread again. No arrow can punch through plate reliably enough at any range to have any influence over the outcome of a battle.

I'd also like to see some evidence supporting this "plate cutter" myth. If the English had an arrowhead called a "plate cutter" or similar term, then produce a source mentioning them. If not then please refrain from using the term. All it does is reinforce the hype about this subject.
Clifford Rogers

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Maybe you need to read through this thread again. No arrow can punch through plate reliably enough at any range to have any influence over the outcome of a battle.

Dan, that has been asserted a number of times above-- mostly by you, IIRC-- but not proven or, to my mind, even successfully supported to the "balance of probability" level. If arrows could not punch through plate reliably enough to have any influence over the outcome of a battle, then whenever plate-armored men-at-arms attacked archers they would have succeeded, and the French would have won Agincourt. (Yes, as was pointed out above, they did not fight the battle very intelligently, but they still would have won anyway if arrows could not penetrate armor reliably enough to have an effect.)

May I commend to the attention of those interested in this subject an article of mine which, while certainly not the "last" (final) word on the subject, is the "last" (most recent) in-depth, documented analysis:

“The Battle of Agincourt,” The Hundred Years War (Part II): Different Vistas, ed. L. J. Andrew Villalon and Donald J. Kagay (Leiden: Brill, 2008): 37-132, especially Appendix I.

On the same subject, see also my older “The Efficacy of the Medieval Longbow: A Reply to Kelly DeVries,” War in History 5, no. 2 (1998): 233-42. Two texts worth some emphasis here are from two of the most reliable English chroniclers of the foruteenth century, Adam Murimuth and Geoffrey le Baker. The first, re Crecy: ‘arrows...seeking out the entrails of men just as much as those of horses, their armour rarely preventing it’ (‘sagittis densissime intervenientibus, quae non minus hominum quam equorum viscera sunt scrutatae, armatura qualimcumque raro prohibente.’) The second, re Poitiers: the archers ‘"caused their arrows to prevail over the armour of the knights" ("coegerunt sagittas armis militaribus prevalere.")

Yes, plate armor provided very good protection even against longbow arrows. Yes, most arrows shot at a man-at-arms would not penetrate his armor, especially the thicker pieces such as the breastplate. But there were a lot of arrows loosed in a battle, and enough of them would penetrate armor to have not just an effect, but a very large effect, on the course of the combat. The English successes of the Hundred Years War would be incomprehensible if this were not true.

On some other points raised in this thread, e.g. whether the Welsh used the longbow before the English (probably not), and why arrows before c. 1300 were indeed generally largely ineffective against armored men, unlike longbow arrows (because the bows were much, much weaker), the following may be of interest:

“The Longbow, the Infantry Revolution, and Technological Determinism,” The Journal of Medieval History 37 (2011): 321-341.

Cliff

Clifford J. Rogers
Clifford Rogers

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Clifford Rogers wrote:
The first, re Crecy: ‘arrows...seeking out the entrails of men just as much as those of horses, their armour rarely preventing it’ (‘sagittis densissime intervenientibus, quae non minus hominum quam equorum viscera sunt scrutatae, armatura qualimcumque raro prohibente.’)

Correction: make that "...their armour, of whatever sort, rarely preventing it"

Clifford J. Rogers
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dr Rogers,

As a long-time fan of your work, I have read these articles plus Dr Curry's collection of the Agincourt sources. Yet I still remain unconvinced that the penetration of plate at anything beyond point blank range had a significant role in the outcome of that particular battle. Crecy and Poiters were very different battles fought in rather poorer armour and also on radically different ground. They should not be considered equivalent in terms of battlefield conditions. Returning to Agincourt, your earlier work on the efficacy of the longbow gives too much credence to the warbow's killing ability and little enough to its contribution to combined arms. If the massive striking advantage of massed archery could reliably defeat men-at-arms, there would have been little hand to hand fighting for the English men-at-arms, yet the same sources imply they were sorely pressed until the lightly armed archers dove into the fray with whatever weapons were at hand.

I am firmly on the fence as to the penetrative power of the warbow and more interested in its role in combined arms, controlling the ground before a defensive position. In cases where the archers were not able to establish a defensible line of barriers; be they hedges, stakes or high ground, the English bowmen were routed. As nearly every aspect of the ground, command and discipline were mismanaged by the French at Agincourt, it seems clear that the concentrated firepower and rigid discipline of the English expedition were force multiplied by the position chosen by Henry on a very difficult ground for dismounted assault. Frankly speaking, the steady march through sucking mud while under the abuse of massed archery and the confusion of horses careening through tightly packed ranks did more to defeat the French than how many breastplates or helmets were pierced by arrows.

You would gain a very clear view of this should you take the occasion to borrow a full harness of the period and have a stroll through a freshly plowed field or even a beach. Sir, I respect your opinion and the enormous amount of work you have done to form it. However, I feel that you are insufficiently informed as the reality of the difficulty the dismounted French faced at Agincourt and therefore wrongly attribute their defeat to an inflated conception of the efficacy of the warbow in that circumstance.

Sincerely,

Kel Rekuta

Clifford Rogers wrote:
Dan Howard wrote:

Dan, that has been asserted a number of times above-- mostly by you, IIRC-- but not proven or, to my mind, even successfully supported to the "balance of probability" level. If arrows could not punch through plate reliably enough to have any influence over the outcome of a battle, then whenever plate-armored men-at-arms attacked archers they would have succeeded, and the French would have won Agincourt. (Yes, as was pointed out above, they did not fight the battle very intelligently, but they still would have won anyway if arrows could not penetrate armor reliably enough to have an effect.)

Cliff
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've a question for those who claim that the longbow and arrows were relatively useless and had no major bearing on such battles as Crecy and Agincourt..to what ELSE do you contribute the outcome of the battles ? Given that the chroniclers OF THE TIME asserted that archers were a main determiner of the battle ? Were the english armed with some other, secret weapon that no-one noticed ? maybe a platoon or two, armed with AK47's, hidden in the woods Big Grin Or..now here's a new theory..the archers went and throttled the french with their bowstrings ? After all..their arrows were useless, weren't they ? Big Grin
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kel,

Why do so many people assume the armour of Agincourt was better than Crecy or Poitiers? As far as layers of protection they seem similar and since metallugical quality was largely unchanged for 90% of armour most still being unhardened to any qualitive matter why is this assumed so often? Maybe Falkirk or Stirling armour was largely less developed by Crecy and Poitiers I am not seeing a big difference with Agincourt.

To me the move from COPs was less about effectiveness and more better technologoes for production of iron/steel.

RPM
Matt Easton

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The majority of the French army at Agincourt probably did not have full plate harness, so the longbow can claim a large chunk of the victory without plate penetration even being discussed. It's worth remembering though that a single arrow wound often would not incapacitate, and it does not take long to walk 300 yards. Many men could arrive at the English lines with one or two wounds, or get lucky and be sheltered in the mass of men. Arrows are not musket balls, they do not now down men like firearms. They make a neat hole and stop, like a stab wound.
Schola Gladiatoria - www.swordfightinglondon.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria
Antique Swords: www.antique-swords.co.uk/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arrows vs armour
Page 13 of 21 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19, 20, 21  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: