Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arrows vs armour Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19, 20, 21  Next 
G. Bezanson

PostPosted: Sat 07 Mar, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, Dan, you win. I just figured what little i could offer would have at least SOME merit.

Moving on. As to the whole idea about getting hit in the face with a lifted visor, exposed part, etc., this is a rather likely occurence, and i have read that many knights and nobility,wearing the very best gothic armour, were slain since they decided not to use the bevor in favor of ventilation. A direct hit from a weapon (arrow, bolt or otherwise) to the face or throat would most certainly kill or horribly injur someone, although i really don't think you could say that it is 'defeating' the armour, as it is only bypassing it. Perhaps i'm splitting hairs, since the end result is a dead or injured person.

Another thing, it seems many people look only at if the arrow can kill the person strait out, not considering wounds, and any possible insuing amputations, infections, etc. Would an enemy soldier who can't fight be any more of a threat than a dead one?
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting to note some of the , umm, "medical" equipment specifically designed to help extract arrows from faces. 1 I have seen that was used to get arrow heads out when the shaft became detached was impressively designed, quite ingenious.
Jeff Morrow

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Archery vs Armor         Reply with quote

Archers were more than just thier bow and arrows. They also fought close contact and had equipment to do so.
Learn to honor tradition not be trapped by it!
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Bezanson wrote:
Ok, Dan, you win. I just figured what little i could offer would have at least SOME merit.

Moving on. As to the whole idea about getting hit in the face with a lifted visor, exposed part, etc., this is a rather likely occurence, and i have read that many knights and nobility,wearing the very best gothic armour, were slain since they decided not to use the bevor in favor of ventilation. A direct hit from a weapon (arrow, bolt or otherwise) to the face or throat would most certainly kill or horribly injur someone, although i really don't think you could say that it is 'defeating' the armour, as it is only bypassing it. Perhaps i'm splitting hairs, since the end result is a dead or injured person.

Another thing, it seems many people look only at if the arrow can kill the person strait out, not considering wounds, and any possible insuing amputations, infections, etc. Would an enemy soldier who can't fight be any more of a threat than a dead one?

I think this is the crux of the issue. It is entirely possible that arrow fatalaties were very low (many sources state this from the Roman period onwards) but a an arrow through the foot takes a soldier out of the fight just as surely as an arrow through the heart. The volume of arrows that the English sent at the enemy would result in a lot of these sorts of injuries even if body armour offered good protection.
G. Bezanson

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just something else to add, since the topic has unfortunately died for a while, IF such armies as the english in the hundred years war really were composed of 80% longbowmen, and they could pierce it as easily as some would suggest, what would be the point of going to the expense, weight and bother of obtaining, maintaining, and wearing plate?
Helge B.

PostPosted: Mon 07 Sep, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The role of the longbow during the Battle of Agincourt is much debated. There is just one question which never came up during the threads I found so far.

I think the the longbow had a fair chance of at least wounding a men-at-arms in full plate at a distance below 20 metres. Since the french had been hampered by the mud and the tightness of their formation they would not have been able to close these last metres so quickly. This would have given the English bowmen enough time to get off some point blank shots close enough to even aim at vulnerable body parts. Even a glancing hit at the helmet from this distance should knockout a knight long enough to cause him trip and get trampled by the rows behind.

Maybe the bow still had the major share for the success of the English during this battle as it originally was credited?
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Mon 07 Sep, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

But how long into the battle did the English run out of arrows? Even if each soldier carried 60 arrows they would have run out in 5 minutes if firing 12 arrows per minute. It would have taken the French much longer than five minutes to get within 20 meters.
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Mon 07 Sep, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
But how long into the battle did the English run out of arrows? Even if each soldier carried 60 arrows they would have run out in 5 minutes if firing 12 arrows per minute. It would have taken the French much longer than five minutes to get within 20 meters.

Aw, Come on Dan. We've had this discussion many times before. You should know better than to put forward over-simplistic arguments like this.

The '12 arrows a minute' statement is a modern re-enactorism. There is no primary (canonical) source evidence for it and modern experiments with replica warbows have proven it untenable.

Whilst it is perfectly possible for a modern archer, with a heavy-weight bow, to shoot (NB not 'fire') 12 arrows a minute this is not sustainable for more than about 2 minutes. The lactic acid build-up in the muscles limits the rate of shooting to about 6 arrows a minute.

Secondly, hitting a target at distance whilst it is moving toward you requires a high degree of skill. The archer must calculate the interception point of where the enemy will be (based on his forward speed) when the arrow arrives (with its flight time of about 5-6 seconds). To do that requires you must watch where the arrow lands and adjust your shooting accordingly. You can't do that and shoot 12 arrows a minute.

Lastly, just shooting arrow after arrow into your enemy until you run out is tactically inept. It is far more likely archers would shoot volleys of arrows, with pauses to assess the effect. You only use arrows when and where you need to.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 07 Sep, 2009 3:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ideally there would also be lot of arrows bags full of arrows just behind the lines if a major battle was planned for and 60 arrows might be a limiting factor only if supplies where running short or where the only arrows carried where for a " chevauché " or a raid with no ready resupply close by?

Logistics would be important here as a tired and low on supplies army of archers would be in a bad way compared with a fresh army with cartloads of arrows numbering in the hundreds or more per archer.

The rate of fire might be variable as Glennan mentioned: One might fire volleys at long range to harass but keep most of one's arrows for the medium ranges where they would be more effective with aimed shots and where one might benefit from a high volume of fire.

At very close range the problem is how fast the well armoured opponents can cross the distance: If one has an obstacle to slow down the advance then carefully aimed volley in high volumes could be devastating, and again without actually having to pierce armour.

Add muddy terrain and exhaustion and archers ready and willing to close with spears, mallets, bills or even poleaxes ( don't know if low status archers would commonly have a poleaxe historically ? But a strong godendag type spiky club or a war flail could do a lot of damage if used by agile troops against bogged down in mud Knights ).

I don't think there needs to be a " winner " or " loser " in these types of discussions it is rather just bringing up different points for discussion and theoretical analysis. ( This can be done purely historically as in what we know was true or can come close to infer from the relevant historical texts, but one can also do some speculative thinking about how weapons and weapons systems might be used tactically even in ways that we know where not used in such a way ..... Naturally it's good to keep both types of discussions clearly in mind so as to not talk at cross purposes or get all too " intense " about it. Wink Cool )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 07 Sep, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My personal feeling after reading several accounts of Agincourt, is that the French defeat was largely self-inflicted. Had they been properly led and organized the outcome would have been very different, I think. The French knights and men at arms not only made it to the English line, but pushed it back some distance at one point, and descriptions of the melee make it clear that they made it across the field in considerable strength. There are also accounts that many French died from being trampled into the mud by their own rear ranks. This makes it obvious to me that archery alone was not decisive, at least against the assaults on foot. The fact that the archers joined in the melee with hand to hand weapons seems to confirm this. So just how much credit should we give to the bow, when the final issue was clearly decided by hand to hand combat? Some folks like to make it sound like a turkey shoot, which it clearly was not.
William Knight

PostPosted: Mon 07 Sep, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glennan Carnie wrote:
Dan Howard wrote:

Secondly, hitting a target at distance whilst it is moving toward you requires a high degree of skill. The archer must calculate the interception point of where the enemy will be (based on his forward speed) when the arrow arrives (with its flight time of about 5-6 seconds). To do that requires you must watch where the arrow lands and adjust your shooting accordingly. You can't do that and shoot 12 arrows a minute.

I think the notion that the average longbowman was drawing a bead on an individual opponent is pretty unlikely given the ranges involved. Longbows can be useful beyond well beyond 100 yards, and at that range firing at an area or a group of people is a much better proposition than firing at individual people.

Still, I agree that the 12 arrows a minute thing doesn't seem sustainable or to have been common practice, given that the archery duels of many Wars of the Roses battles went on for quite some time (I believe over an hour in some cases, IIRC). Nonetheless one should keep in mind that often archers had carts of arrows readily available, just to the rear of them, so they wouldn't just have the arrows that were on their person to use for the entirety of the battle -- English tactics were often pretty static, so this doesn't seem likely to cause too many problems. So I'm suspicious of counting rates of fire based on 60 arrows/time.

As to the importance of hand-to-hand combat, English archers seem to have been pretty adept at it, given how well they were able to deal with the (tired, mired) French knights at Agincourt. Keep in mind that in the 15th century the armament of archers increased in quality pretty noticeably, such that one Italian wrote during the reign of Richard III that almost all English archers in Richard's host had helmets, and all had jacks (contrast this with Agincourt). Also that a large number of brigandines and mail shirts seem to have been kept around for retainers, presumably archers. Also, given the paucity of documentary evidence of a separate class of 'Billman' in 15th century england, it's almost certain that depictions of partially armoured men wielding bills actually depict archers that had discarded their bow and taken up bills. In conclusion, archers must have been pretty formidable when things got close.
-Wilhelm
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 07 Sep, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wouldn't dismiss speed archery in warfare, at least not as a general principle. Countless Middle Eastern sources speak highly of shower shooting. Thanks to David Nicolle, the almost superhuman alacrity of Muslim archers is becoming enshrined in academic texts. Matthew Strickland references Nicolle's estimate that Muslim archers could loose five arrows in two-and-half seconds. I have trouble believing that; I think Lajos Kassai give us a better standard. Either way, period manuals and modern tests show arrows can be shot quite fast, and battlefield accounts suggest they at least sometimes were. Would six volleys per minute amount to a hail?
Tom King

PostPosted: Fri 11 Sep, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: the hundred years war         Reply with quote

If the hundred years war is anything to go by, the war bow can definately penetrate plate armor. At agincourt, thousands of french knights were either horribly maimed or outright killed in the first french charge. The crossbow can also penetrate plate and has more power, but less range. The archer dominates the battfield!
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Fri 11 Sep, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: the hundred years war         Reply with quote

Tom King wrote:
If the hundred years war is anything to go by, the war bow can definately penetrate plate armor. At agincourt, thousands of french knights were either horribly maimed or outright killed in the first french charge. The crossbow can also penetrate plate and has more power, but less range. The archer dominates the battfield!

Erm, I would advise to read up a bit on that - at least, look therough the earlier posts in this thread as reports of "thousands of French knights beeing horribly maimed or killed" by archery is a matter is, shall we call it, "slight exageration".
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Countless Middle Eastern sources speak highly of shower shooting. Thanks to David Nicolle, the almost superhuman alacrity of Muslim archers is becoming enshrined in academic texts. Matthew Strickland references Nicolle's estimate that Muslim archers could loose five arrows in two-and-half seconds.

For exactly two-and-a-half seconds, and in most cases as a preparation for a countercharge into hand-to-hand combat. The techniques are not meant for sustained use minute after minute, and probably couldn't have been used for sustained shooting if the high rate was achieved by means of the various shower-shooting techniques described in the anonymous Arab Archery manuscript, since the number of spare arrows that could be carried in the drawing hand without adversely affecting the "clench" of the last three fingers is very limited!

(It's also worth noting that the extremely high-speed shots seem to be associated with the use of special arrows that had nocks cut in a cross pattern so they could fit in four different ways onto the string, paying the price of some strength and sturdiness to achieve greater rapidity in nocking and loosing. Did the English have anything like these specialized shower-shooting arrows?)
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
For exactly two-and-a-half seconds, and in most cases as a preparation for a countercharge into hand-to-hand combat.

Really? I recall looking up Nicolle's source and being decidedly unimpressed. If I remember right, it was something about shooting so you still see the dust from the first arrow when loosing the last. Not at all equivalent to a stopwatch. But this was a year or two ago. I could well be wrong. Unfortunately, because the CAAMA website has vanished, I don't have easy access to the relevant texts. I believe various sources give instruction for shooting as quickly as possible from a great distance, thus raining arrows on the opponent. Battle accounts of such hails of missiles would support this. Note that Kassai loosed a dozen arrows in seventeen seconds in the video I linked in my last post.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Oct, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Really? I recall looking up Nicolle's source and being decidedly unimpressed. If I remember right, it was something about shooting so you still see the dust from the first arrow when loosing the last. Not at all equivalent to a stopwatch. But this was a year or two ago. I could well be wrong.

Then you're talking about Taybugha, who said that over the specified distance you should be able to loose a third arrow as the dust rises from your first arrow striking the target. Faris & Elmer's analysis of the manuscript proposes that the distance was something like 80 paces or 75-ish meters, and given the speed mandated by a test described elsewhere in the manuscript (180 fps) this would have been traversed in about one and a quarter seconds, giving the archer about one and a half seconds to cycle from the release of the first arrow to that of the third--or, in other words, about three-quarters of a second per arrow. This rate may be practicable for three or five arrows but more than that and your muscles wouldn't be able to stand it (I'm speaking as an archer who has shot heavy bows in a reconstruction of Taybugha's Syrian archery style). In any case, five arrows in less than four seconds from every man in the front rank of a Mamluk heavy cavalry formation should be enough to stop or at least disorganize an incoming charge enough to make the attackers vulnerable to the Mamluk countercharge!
Kevin S.

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have a question. Poundage and momentum aside, can the arrow head with the same/equal metallurgical quality as the armour allow the projectile to penetrate? Or does the metallurgy of the arrow head have to be better than that of the armour?

By metallurgical quality, I meant things like Vicker Hardness Rating, etc.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hardness matters a lot less than thickness of the target, weight of the arrow, draw weight of the bow, shape of the arrowhead, etc.
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kevin Sanguanlosit wrote:
Have a question. Poundage and momentum aside, can the arrow head with the same/equal metallurgical quality as the armour allow the projectile to penetrate? Or does the metallurgy of the arrow head have to be better than that of the armour?

By metallurgical quality, I meant things like Vicker Hardness Rating, etc.

I have seen copper-jacketed lead bullets pass through 1/2" thick semi-hard steel. The jacket is stripped off and ricochets upon impact but the lead continues through the target, mushrooming as it penetrates, allowing a .30 cal projectile to create a .50 cal. hole. So hardness is one of the lesser factors involved in penetration. The weight, velocity, sectional density, and frontal area of the projectile are largely what determine penetrating power.
The target, it's thickness and composition, determine resistance to penetration, which is another matter. But the relative hardness of the two is secondary.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arrows vs armour
Page 5 of 21 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19, 20, 21  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: