Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Riveted Maille Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Adam R

PostPosted: Wed 12 May, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Riveted Maille         Reply with quote

Hi there,

Please help a frustrated chap! Worried
A while ago I found a place (in the UK I think) that was offering rectangular section riveted maille at fairly decent prices....
You guessed it, I have forgotten the site Cry
Does anyone know of a supplier? I need chunks to go under the harness that should be arriving later in the year and it needs to be just like the real deal.
Thanks in advance.
Adam

Adam Roylance
KDF Nottingham
www.nottinghamsword.co.uk
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Wed 12 May, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't vouch for the prices, but square section mail is advertised for sale within the UK at http://www.lrpstore.com/dept.asp?dept%5Fname=Chainmail
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 12 May, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Forth Armoury         Reply with quote

This isn't in the UK (at least I don't think Alabama is that far East), but the riveted maille I have seen by this fellow is pretty decent stuff, well made and sturdy, without being heavy and clunky. A friend uses his for live-steel play, and is totally happy with it.

http://www.forth-armoury.com/

Gordon Frye

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 12 May, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've heard nothing but good things here about Fourth Armoury's work .
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

PostPosted: Wed 12 May, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Adam,

Here is a link to a UK maker of rivetted chain mail http://www.armourclass.com/Data/Pages/Chainmail-Main.htm.
The cross-section is certainly not rectangular, but I think the quality and the price are quite acceptable.

Alexi
Adam R

PostPosted: Thu 13 May, 2004 5:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for all your helpful hints n links, much appreciated. Big Grin
The folks I was after turned up on another discussion site, so I managed to track them down again, they are here http://www.getdressedforbattle.co.uk/chainmail.htm

the links look like the real McCoy, and I don't want to let a new harness down with cheesy looking maille voiders, take a looksee

Attachment: 98.27 KB
riv_sq_aged.jpeg

Adam Roylance
KDF Nottingham
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 13 May, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Adam,
That picture certainly is impressive. I have also looked at Forth Armoury but my only concern lies in that the pictures on his site show maile with very visible "holes" in the structure that seem a bit too big. Who has seen Forth's stuff in person. How does it patenate? I have a lot of questions re: quality maile.
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Thu 13 May, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Other Maille         Reply with quote

I wanted to also let people know about this fellow, Erik Schmid, who seems to be making museum-grade maille. His website has a great deal of information on it. I cannot personally vouch for his product, but others I have spoken to seem to think very highly of his wares:

http://www.idbsu.edu/courses/hy309/docs/monta...ne.05.html

He also sponsors a group called The Maille Research Society, wherein one may read a good number of articles pertaining to the use and construction of maille. Interesting stuff, and well worth the time to take a look at it.

Per Forth Armoury maille, a friend has a nice shirt of it, and he is quite happy with the product. It's (as I recall) the fully rivetted style, as opposed to the alternating row style. I can't say how well it patinates, as he wears it over a leather arming doublet, and as far as I can tell hasn't exposed it to much sweat. But he's the picky sort, and is pleased, so that speaks volumes in it's favor.

Cheers,

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu 13 May, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Regarding Forth's products, the 3/8" ID garments do have a somewhat "open" look. If that concerns you, Forth is coming out with hauberks of 5/16" ID rings which have a much more dense look. Check out the coif made of these rings at the top of the garments page.

Brian M
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 13 May, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam R wrote:
The folks I was after turned up on another discussion site, so I managed to track them down again, they are here http://www.getdressedforbattle.co.uk/chainmail.htm

the links look like the real McCoy, and I don't want to let a new harness down with cheesy looking maille voiders, take a looksee

That was helpful Adam,

I contacted the guys there, and I was told that they are adding flattened mail links to their choices. It will be slightly more expensive (~400GBP for the half sleeve shirt) but lighter and certainly more authentic. Shipping to the US is ~30GBP.

Alexi
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Thu 13 May, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam R wrote:

Hmmm... I took a gander at their site, and don't see anything that isn't your typical Indian import variety. All of their armor appears to be a culmination of Windlass and Rittersteel.

But what really shocked me was that their picture of their "Cherburg" armor... THAT'S A STOLEN PIC OF CHRISTIAN TOBLER'S HARNESS! Mad Some of that armor, I believe is Indian import made, but I'm pretty sure that the arms and legs were made by Christian Fletcher. Either way, it wasn't these guys.

Attachment: 79.38 KB
ct1.jpg

Last edited by Bill Grandy on Sat 15 May, 2004 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Adam R

PostPosted: Thu 13 May, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: GDFB         Reply with quote

Bill,
Yes the rest of the site is chok full of dreadful looking and sounding gear (sorry chaps, at least it's good n cheap) but the maille looks quite good (at least, some of it), hopefully I'll be getting a sample and seeing some rings in detail. I spent plenty of time at the Royal Armouries a few months back looking at maille to get a feel for what is and what is not authentic. The square section maille is not like any of the Indian stuff, that looks (as I have seen it described) rather like coke can ring pulls meshed together!

Interesting that the pic is nicked! It doesn't go with the two other harness pictures on that page, it looks much nicer, now we know why...?!

Adam Roylance
KDF Nottingham
Adam R

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: An example of the new GDFB links         Reply with quote

They look absolutely perfect for 15C...how do they compare with Forth Armoury?

Attachment: 25.79 KB
xd_5145_GDFB_Maille_001_Ks4EnB.jpeg

Adam Roylance
KDF Nottingham
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks pretty good. In fact, it looks exactly like the weave of my Forth Armory coif.
Adam R

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So is that where they are getting it from? They said that they were buying it in.....

I'll have to compare prices. Thanks for the info Happy

Adam Roylance
KDF Nottingham
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam R wrote:
So is that where they are getting it from? They said that they were buying it in.....

I'll have to compare prices. Thanks for the info Happy

Stephen Brown, the guy who replied to me from "GRFB uk" said that he works with a local armourer, but as I read over my e-mail that might not be referring to the mail. I should be getting a sample soon, so I will post comments. I was under the impression that the flat ring mail (which is more authentic and more like Forth-Armoury's) is a new addition to GRFB and they do not have pictures on the site.

Adam,

The second picture you posted asking for a comparison, it is from Forth-Armoury, or from GRFB's site? It looks like the Forth-Armoury stuff, but I do not see such picture on GRFB' site! I think that Bill Grandy responded thinking that the second picture you posted is from GRFB.

Alexi
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It might not be the same, I don't know. But it wouldn't surprise me to find out if they imported from the same people.
Adam R

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Sorry         Reply with quote

The second picture is of a sample sent out by GDFB. I have not seen any pics of Forth Armouries, thats why I was interested to hear your comments Bill. We can compare prices when we see them. It does seem that they are from the same supplier.

Samples sent to UK re-enactors from GDFB have been met with universal praise.

At least good maille is becoming available!

Adam Roylance
KDF Nottingham
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Adam,
Here's a couple close ups of my coif. One's from the flat side, one's from the rivet side.

Attachment: 90.88 KB
P1010051.jpg

Attachment: 110.49 KB
P1010052.jpg

Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They do seem to be identical, that is why I wanted clarification. So Stephen from GRFB told me that the prices of the flattened ring half sleeve shirts are 400GBP (~$705). I asked about 8mm ID links, so I assume that this price refers to 8mm ID links.
Forth-Armoury does not offer haubergons made of 8mm ID links, but does offer the links by themselves ($105 per 5000 links). I do not think that it is worth to buy at this price, make it yourself and sell for $700 (~300 net profit per shirt). However they might be buying from the same place. The haubergons at Forth-Armoury are made of larger 10mm ID links and are more expensive: regular size, all riveted goes for $995. The riveting on the forth-armoury is nice as it uses the wedge shaped rivets, and it looks like the sample from GRFB uses the same riveting. Peculiar!!!

I have to say though, if I am offered a haubergon of 8mm flattened links (with the wedge riveting) for ~$700, I AM BUYING IT.

Alexi

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Riveted Maille
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: