Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Can anyone help me to identify this please Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Scott Bubar

PostPosted: Sun 23 May, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:
Great find. Now it's not an ugly duckling any more.

For a crude translation of any web page, use Babelfish. http://world.altavista.com/

Without attempting to translate the entire web page, it relates that this small weapon was commonly known as a "Torpedo Boat Saber" and was issued after WWI to both the Prussian State Police and to some Dutch police units. Total number of units produced apparently was in the range of just under 11,000 pieces.

So this item may be a wartime capture from WWI, or it may be a postwar police weapon. German police weapons that I have seen have stamped marks that identify the police agency, as well as maker's marks. My guess is therefore that this particular blade was not issued to a police unit, but was obtained as a war trophy.

The online translators are a great thing, but they often leave me with that "so near and yet so far" feeling.

So often, the Devil is in the details.
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Sun 23 May, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Bubar wrote:
Jez Mitchell wrote:
I did try to take some pics of the stamps, but the camera that i had borrowed wasnt up to it. I could try to draw them for you if you wanted...

Never mind, Jez. It occurs to me that they may just be inspection marks.

Thanks to Stephen and a German member of SFI (I'll let Stephen explain), I was able to come up with this pic:

I posted this on the Antique & Military Sword Forum on SFI. Thanks to Thomas Fritz Zehe, we were able to identify this
piece. Jez, I'm glad you posted this here and that you now have a positive id. Thanks to you, I was able to learn something new. Cool

Until I had solid proof that a "knife" like this existed, I strongly believed that it was a composite piece due to fact that it very much resembled the "butcher bayonet." (blade & scabbard appearing to be nearly identical) The blade on the butcher bayonet is 14.5", with that length in mind, I found it hard to believe that it would have been mounted as so to be used as a naval sidearm. It would be impracticably short. According to Thomas' stats, this blade is around 23". Is that the length of yours Jez?

Last edited by Stephen A. Fisher on Sun 23 May, 2004 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Sun 23 May, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the bayonet featured along side a Danish hanger measuring 30" overall.

blade markings
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Sun 23 May, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen A. Fisher wrote:

Until I had solid proof that a "knife" like this existed, I strongly believed that it was a composite piece due to fact that it very much resembled the "butcher bayonet." (blade & scabbard appearing to be nearly identical) The blade on the butcher bayonet is 14.5", with that length in mind, I found it hard to believe that it would have been mounted as so to be used as a naval sidearm. It would be impracticably short. According to Thomas' stats, this blade is around 23". Is that the length of yours Jez?

The ruler in the picture shows that the blade alone is about 16-17", and the entire weapon may be 23 inches long. And clearly it's the same weapon in both pictures.

Very short for a sword, but respectable enough for a bayonet or fighting knife. Also large enough to serve the purpose of a policeman's badge of office.
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Sun 23 May, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:
Very short for a sword, but respectable enough for a bayonet or fighting knife. Also large enough to serve the purpose of a policeman's badge of office.

I agree, with a blade length as such, I would not classify it as a sword. I'm still trying to get over the unusualness of the weapon. Cool
Jez Mitchell

PostPosted: Mon 24 May, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks alot Scott and Stephen its great to actually know what it is, rather than to be guessing Happy

PS my blade is 17" long and overall the whloe piece is about 23" (maybe on the shorter side 22.5")

How did this German SFI member come up with the pic? Does he own one too?
Jez Mitchell

PostPosted: Wed 26 May, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks a load, tis good to actually know something about the blade. Granddad was interested about the information too.
Thanks again Happy

PS. The sword measures 23" overall and the blade is about 17"
Scott Bubar

PostPosted: Wed 26 May, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, there's still the question of that 2.5 or so inches.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Can anyone help me to identify this please
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: