Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sickle fighting according to PH Mair - new video Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Chuck Wyatt

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Pleasant wrote:
Quote:
Also when a video shows only two people it really not nessisary to refer to them by color, "man on left" and "man on right" are much better discriptions.

Another reason..... That I never thought until now.....for the "man on left" and "man on right" description is for the color blind.

Reinier van Noort wrote:
Quote:
The teeth angle backwards (just like in the images, only with much finer teeth). This means they cut mainly when you pull the sickle back towards you!

Thanks for the test cutting! This will help refine things a bit. Have you tried test cutting on cloth with the serrated Sickles?
I assume the teeth will snag and pull on the cloth when you pull back, but I don't have a serrated sickle to test this on. I would try a small saw but the saw is straight , not curved and I'm afraid it wouldn't give a fair test.

Good Job on the vids and practice sickles!

Chuck
Reinier van Noort

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Chuck; that's a good idea! I have some sharp sickles that I still haven't had a chance to blunt, and I have some leftover linnen. I'll have to try something with that soon! Thanks also for the compliments!

R Big Grin

School voor Historische Schermkunsten

www.bruchius.com
James Head

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: !         Reply with quote

Reinier van Noort wrote:
The first thing I did is get an old sickle. I got one that happened to have teeth. Next I took it too thick grasses (or reeds), and tried cutting them. The teeth angle backwards (just like in the images, only with much finer teeth). This means they cut mainly when you pull the sickle back towards you! I think this is a key-point in interpreting sickle fighting techniques! !

Thanks for the good advice concerning cutting with a serrated sickle. I have been meaning to get one and try cutting with it for this very reason. I found a modern serrated sickle HERE that is cheap and also has the blade set in the middle instead of Right Handed like most sickles. I imagine it will feel very close to Mair's.

I have a sharp sickle with a straight blade that I have done some test cutting with. Because it is made differently I have found a different method that seems to work well. You can see in this VIDEO of mine that the sickle blade seems to cut best when I include a whipping motion with my wrist. A good example would be the cut at 1:00. Hopefully soon I can try a serrated sickle and feel what differences there are.
Reinier van Noort

PostPosted: Tue 04 Aug, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw0vy2TIePg

I put a video online (In dutch unfortunately) explaining a little theory I have on why PH Mair shows blocks like this:
http://mdz10.bib-bvb.de/~db/bsb00006570/image...;seite=461

in sickle fighting, whereas that is often considered a good way to get your thumb broken and get killed.

What I am explaining during the video (more or less):

Video in Dutch (I will replace it soon in english) with a theory on why PH Mair typically shows blocks with an upturned hand in his sections on sickle fighting while in (medieval) dagger fighting such blocks are considered a sure way to break a thumb /and/ get killed.

The theory is that with a more conventional block, the opponent can easily twist his sickle around your wrist and cut deeply into your arm by pulling back (as is shown in pages 2 and 3 if I remember correctly). However, if your grab the arm from below with an upturned hand, he cannot do this.

This seems to be especially true for attacks from above where the conventional block would put the elbow far outside and make it an easy target. It might not apply to lower attacks.

Please don't pay attention to the exaggerated way I place my attacks in this video.

Enjoy!

www.bruchius.com
James Head

PostPosted: Tue 04 Aug, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Reinier. Great video! I don't see the need to change it to english. I watched the video on mute I think I understood everything. You could just use the Youtube annotation editor to add notes in english. Why take down a good clip?
Reinier van Noort

PostPosted: Tue 04 Aug, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To replace it with something better...

But thanks again for the compliments. I hope the video helps you in your quest!

www.bruchius.com
Reinier van Noort

PostPosted: Tue 03 Nov, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just an update here.

Unfortunately, Youval and I have been way to busy the last few months to make any progress. However, last weekend at Swordfish we were allowed to give an unscheduled (for us as well) demonstration of our work. This has been filmed by one of the people attending the demo, and I hope we will soon acquire his material and that it can be put on youtube.

During the demo, after a short introduction, we demonstrated the plays described on pages 1,2,4,13,15 and 16.

More soon I hope!!!

www.bruchius.com
Reinier van Noort

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The videos have been placed online by the filming person. They can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jadda72#p/u/4/3laG6n_1xAI

The whole demo has been split into 5 fragments. Enjoy!

R

www.bruchius.com
Matthew Fedele

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sickle fighting according to PH Mair - new video         Reply with quote

Randall Pleasant wrote:
I really like the videos by both groups.

Ok, I'll admit that the following is being a little nick-picky but there were some negatives for me, such as the clothes of the people and background. In the first video the whole living history setting just serves to take one's eye off the action. I'll admit I don't like mixing living history and martial arts (oil and water). Also, the guy on the right look like he was wearing a small tub on his head, ie it looked silly.

I don't get this statement. Why would period garb and background be a distraction and why is the helm silly? There's a lot of one-off examples of war hats out there. Do you not think you can learn anything "martial" from the garb people wore at the time? Don't think wool and leather is a form of armor? There's nothing period that they wore that would effect your fighting strategy at all?
Reinier van Noort

PostPosted: Wed 17 Mar, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have just placed a video online showing a (very preliminary) interpretation of Paulus Hector Mair's Fustus Agrestus (Peasant's club or peasant's staff). This was only our second or so time working with this material, but I wanted to share it anyway. I hope you will enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy-9080epY8

www.bruchius.com
Reinier van Noort

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jun, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark and I finally got around to playing with the big sticks again.

I have uploaded a corrected (though still preliminary) video of pages 3 and 4, and have added page 5 to it. Note that the footwork during the last attack of page 5 is wrong; I should end up with the other leg forward. That's something that needs fixing.

Without further ado, here it is; enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxrYdTmM_as

www.bruchius.com

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sickle fighting according to PH Mair - new video
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: