Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Modern vs. Period Tang Construction Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Modern vs. Period Tang Construction         Reply with quote

Greetings all,
I am curious about the comparison between modern methods of tang construction as compared with period methods. I am new to the "real" sword world although I have been sport fencing for quite a while. as a newcommer to this realm, the variety of methods used today are a bit confusing. Is a welded tang a viable option, or are one piece weapons more desirable?

Thanks,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Andy Bain

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jun, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Typically you want to avoid welded tangs like the plague. However, some makers can make a strong welded tang. Check out www.lutel.cz and have a look at the pictures of how they construct their welded tangs. I have yet to hear about someone having a problem with one of their tangs.
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jun, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Modern vs. Period Tang Construction         Reply with quote

Nate C. wrote:
Greetings all,
I am curious about the comparison between modern methods of tang construction as compared with period methods. I am new to the "real" sword world although I have been sport fencing for quite a while. as a newcommer to this realm, the variety of methods used today are a bit confusing. Is a welded tang a viable option, or are one piece weapons more desirable?

Thanks,

Hey Nate,

Here is an article that Howy put together in order to explain how we do things at Albion, but it gives you a basic overview of what the current modern construction methods are like.

http://www.albionarmorers.com/functional.htm

Jason Dingledine
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jun, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys. I figured that a welded tang would be bad news but wanted it confirmed. Although those Czech (I think) guys have an interesting approach. Jason, I am assuming that the albion tangs are all milled as part of the blade and the hot peened? It didn't explicitly say so but that's what I got from reading the article. BTW can't wait to read the other articles when they are available.

Thanks,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jun, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welded tangs can be quite strong, but many importers of lower-end weapons have tarnished the welded tang through thier poor quality control. I prefer to avoid welding on a tang, myself. The peening method used by many companies is the most period for most pieces, and done correctly is quite strong. The method used by myself and Atrim with the counter-sunk nut is also very strong, as is the hybrid 'nut and peen' that A&A used to (still does?) use. The basic rule is less for a specific type than for the overall quality of the piece- a very high-quality piece is liable to have better construction than a poor one. Alas, it's also likely to cost more.
Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Then one night, as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90mph, I had an epiphany...

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Modern vs. Period Tang Construction
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic