Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Staff weapons Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 04 Sep, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Staff weapons         Reply with quote

I've noticed that there isn't much discussion online about the quality of replica staff weapons, and I don't see these important weapons represented in many collections of replicas. I know swords are the first love of most of us, but the dearth of polearms seems strange. I mean, I would expect folks to be writing things like "well, the CASI black bill is OK, but the Vince Evans black bill is sublime." Are these weapons so simple to produce (relatively speaking) that any old replica will do? Are they more difficult to evaluate than swords? Since they're inexpensive compared to swords, do they simply lack the flash value of fine replica swords? Are there any great polearm manufacturers out there? I know Albion and Lutel have some interesting pieces. MRL used to offer a nice assortment of polearms, but now lists only a few. Do any of you folks have a favorite replica staff weapon?
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 04 Sep, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think one of the issues is that quality polearms are not easy to create. In fact, getting a historically researched, properly balanced, correctly proportioned piece takes a fair amount of time to create. I also believe that the consumer market is typically not understanding of the effort required to get the three-dimensional subtleties correct, and so isn't able to adequately value these types of things. This leaves a tremendous amount of polearms in the lower-end range, but few higher end makers who are willing to get involved in this niche.

Case in point: I recently saw a Lutel Lucerne type hammer being sold by Art Elwell. He mounted it on a custom-shaped shaft that he cut down, faceted, and prepared. The resulting piece was fantastic, if not just a tiny bit heavy. It was worth every penny of the (roughly) $350 that was being asked for it, but I still was unable to pony up the cash for it. And that's just too bad.. great piece, and I wish I could have managed to get it.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 04 Sep, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Nathan that polearms seem to be hard to recreate. I handled a few of the CAS Iberia/Hanwei spears and halberds last year, and they were totally off the mark! The halberd felt more like an overgrown axe, and didn't invite to the play that a real halberd does. And the spears... ugh. I own two spears, one a light Viking spear with a head made by my brother, the other with a (now discontiuned) Del Tin head, both with shafts made by me. Polearms are less "romantic" than swords, and I think most collectors of repros add them rather late, after stocking up on the "cooler" weapons. My own collection, which I plan to include an example of each major weapon type from the Middle Ages, is lacking both a halberd and a poleaxe. Another problem is shipping. It isn't easy to ship a 8' weapon, and if the heads are sold separately, many collectors hesitate to make the shafts themselves. So it is a Catch-22 situation of sorts.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So we're waiting for public knowledge of and demand for accurate polearms to catch up with the growing public knowledge of and demand for accurate swords (one assumes that the amount of available information and the modern smith's skill will increase accordingly). Bjorn, I think you make an interesting point about how good weapons invite use. I wasn't all that interested in polearms until I handled a friend's replica halberd. I have no way to judge the quality of the piece, but it just felt great in my hands. So now I want one and have found it difficult to find stats and descriptions of historic examples. In fact, myArmoury.com is the only place I've found an historic example like the modern replica I handled.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned Arms and Armor's pole arms (see A&A poll-axe below). Although I've never held one, I'd guess one would have a hard time finding a better crafted weapon. Could someone who actually has an A&A polearm give us a critique?

Attachment: 51.9 KB
POLEAXEJ.jpg

Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned Arms and Armor's pole arms (see A&A poll-axe below). Although I've never held one, I'd guess one would have a hard time finding a better crafted weapon. Could someone who actually has an A&A polearm give us a critique?

I have a friend who owns one, and it is very fine. Nice workmanship and good handling characteristics.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 06 Sep, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The poleaxes from Therion's (imported from Czech Arms and Armor) are nice. They handle beautifully, although they don't have a butt cap. I have been very tempted to buy one, except that recently Therion apparently has had problems getting shipments from them on time.

http://www.therionarms.com/reenact/weaponry.shtml
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sat 06 Sep, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Most sword collectors are initially attracted to the subject because of some kind of romantic/idealistic interest. Let's face it, there aren't a lot of stories about gallant knights pulling war hammers out of rocks, or being given polearms by water faeries. Historically the polearm was quite often the preferred weapon, but in modern terms they just don't have the allure of the sword.

In a way the polearm is much like the sword, in that it seems deceptively simple yet is a bit complicated in design and construction. Creating more authentic staff weapons would require more research and effort by the maker, which would increase the price. Most collectors will not hesitate to pay high prices for well made swords, ask them to pay similar prices for staff weapons and I expect that many of them would balk, since they lack the preceived cache of the sword.

I just don't think there's a big enough market for high end polearms to make it worthwhile. Too bad.
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 07 Sep, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Next time I order from Lutel, I will probably order both their poleaxe and a German-style halberd. I'll have to mount them myself, and probably make butt-caps, but at least my collection will grow with two weapon types.
Stefan Toivonen

PostPosted: Sun 07 Sep, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Björn Hellqvist wrote:
Next time I order from Lutel, I will probably order both their poleaxe and a German-style halberd. I'll have to mount them myself, and probably make butt-caps, but at least my collection will grow with two weapon types.

If you do I hope you could keep us updated on how you do it. I'm getting more and more interested in polearms, and will probably one day buy some myself.
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 07 Sep, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stefan Toivonen wrote:
Björn Hellqvist wrote:

If you do I hope you could keep us updated on how you do it. I'm getting more and more interested in polearms, and will probably one day buy some myself.

Well, I'm thinking about a couple of "how-to" articles, so that should be an ideal subject for the DIY-oriented...
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 07 Sep, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So I'm curious, where do you guys keep the pole arms you have/are planning to get. I've got enough of a chore finding a place to stash all the swords around here.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 07 Sep, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
So I'm curious, where do you guys keep the pole arms you have/are planning to get. I've got enough of a chore finding a place to stash all the swords around here.

I don't have to worry about that Russ. As I keep upgrading my collection keeps shrinking WTF?!
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 14 Mar, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Björn Hellqvist wrote:
Quote:
Well, I'm thinking about a couple of "how-to" articles, so that should be an ideal subject for the DIY-oriented...

Hi Björn,

I know it's been a while since this thread was last updated but I am wondering if you have had a chance to put together any of the aforementioned articles. While, like most here, the sword has first place in my heart, I would like to have a fairly broad cross-section of weapons for certain eras. I've recently acquired a bronze age sword from the Bronze Age Foundry (having it hilted right now), and hope to acquire a La Tene sword whenever it becomes available from Albion. I am hoping to get a spear representative of both eras/cultures as well, but would likely want to put it together myself --or at least have some decent instructions on shaft length and thickness to pass on to the right people to insure that I end up with a well-balanced period-appropriate weapon.

I don't know if this falls into the mandate described by the above posts, but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

David
Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Sun 14 Mar, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:

I don't know how I missed this post originally.. but I have a naginata under my bed. It didn't work well under my pillow. Wink

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS
James Aldrich

PostPosted: Sun 14 Mar, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've had the A&A English and Italian Bills for quite some time. The English seems to me a creditable individual combat weapon as well as mass/shock infantry implement. The Italian, by virtue of its length and balance, is more of a formation weapon.

I'd like to have the Knightly Pollaxe someday.

As for storage, I have some unique solutions. Pictures on request.

JSA
Jeff Johnson

PostPosted: Sun 14 Mar, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:

I have one - it's dead sexy. Customized by purchasing an extra top-spike from A&A and fitting it to the butt, so now she's lethal at both ends. Happy

It came not-so-sharp, and not-so-polished. As a cast item, it had a rough surface with grind marks. For an A&A I was rather disppointed in that aspect. It's a hard steel so it took me quite some time and lot's of automotive sandpaper to get all of the grind marks out, polish it to a mirror finish & put a sharp edge on her.

The whole thing now weighs in at 5.8 pounds, feels great on the swing. Handles well (for a 5-pound axe on a 5-foot pole) Good sense of power and lethlity. I really haven't tested it against anything though. I have no doubt it'd ruin the day of anyone without armor taking a hit from it, and probably dent or ring opponent's helmet like a bell. I'm betting a good solid swing or a hard poke would penetrate a car door - maybe not properly hardened armor, but if I was able to work the spike into a joint, it'd cause some pain there.

The axe makes a nice hook and in a slow-mo demo I once did, I was able to use it effectively as a hook on another fellow's armor.
Carl Croushore
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 14 Mar, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've always been an admirer of axes, maces and hammers - especially the Bec de Corbin (Raven's Beak). I own a Francesca, and I am going to order an axe from Lutel very soon (thanks for your assistance on that count, Bjorn!).

Just the other day, I took a chance, and went for my "dream weapon" (non-sword dream weapon, that is), and won at Ebay auction an MRL Bec de Corbin for $76.00 + S&H. That's about 1/2 what MRL is selling them for. They have a hardwood pole (oak or ash, not sure which) and a butt cap as well. The only thing they lack are the side spikes, which I may forge myself and add later on.

Peter Johnsson has a beautiful Bec de Corbin viewable on his Website, labelled as a Lucern Hammer. It is simply remarkable, and if he reads this, I'd love to know how much he's asking for one if requested. It is simply my favorite non-sword weapon!

Cheers!
-- Carl Croushore

-- Carl Croushore
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 14 Mar, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've seen some A&A axes but don't own any. The pieces felt durable and solid if memory serves.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Mon 15 Mar, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Staff weapons         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
I've noticed that there isn't much discussion online about the quality of replica staff weapons, and I don't see these important weapons represented in many collections of replicas. I know swords are the first love of most of us, but the dearth of polearms seems strange. I mean, I would expect folks to be writing things like "well, the CASI black bill is OK, but the Vince Evans black bill is sublime." Are these weapons so simple to produce (relatively speaking) that any old replica will do? Are they more difficult to evaluate than swords? Since they're inexpensive compared to swords, do they simply lack the flash value of fine replica swords? Are there any great polearm manufacturers out there? I know Albion and Lutel have some interesting pieces. MRL used to offer a nice assortment of polearms, but now lists only a few. Do any of you folks have a favorite replica staff weapon?

I have a "hafted sword/staff-sword" made by the esteemed Mr. Peter Johnsson himself. Big Grin It's a beautiful piece of weaponry. I was thinking that I'd post a description of it and a little of the history and use of the weapon-type along with some pictures as soon as I get ahold of someone with a digital camera. I'm also waiting for an improvement in the weather so I can take her outside and do some drills. But I'd consider that my absolut favorite replica.

I also have a pole-axe made by Pavel Moc. Or so the vendor told me. It's very similar in general appearance to the one offered by www.arms-armor.cz It lacks a spike on the butt-end of the haft, but it's still a nice piece and it handles quite well. Although I wouldn't recommend anyone with bad shoulders to play around with it too much.

Lutel have a lot of interesting pieces actually. I've been eyeing a lot of them for quite some time. This is quite a lovely thread, Sean! Razz Pole-arms have always fascinated me a whole lot.

Regards,

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Staff weapons
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: