Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Maille maintenance Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Thu 17 Sep, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

And a welded stainless from " The Ring Lord " maille shirt. ( Very fine and small rings and very light: About 8 pounds ).

That stuff is good looking and useful for meat packers. Don't trust it to survive rebated steel weapons - it won't. I put my point clean through that mail at both of the AEMMA - Royal Ontario Museum tournaments. We have discussed banning it from rebated combat at our events.

There is blackened stainless riveted mail in the market now for those inclined to low maintenance kit.
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Thu 17 Sep, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Don't fool yourself into thinking anything else. The stuff coming from India doesn't look remotely like any museum example I've ever seen.

FACT!

Modern production mail links are far too uniform in crossection, either too flat or too round. The rivets are too perfect. I am less of a perfectionist than Dan but I completely agree with his comment.

That said, I rather like the new 6mm blackened mail I bought. It is hard to notice the uniformity of the links as they are quite small. Now I just have to figure out how to darken my cheapo galvy stuff to match it! Wink
Aleksei Sosnovski

PostPosted: Thu 17 Sep, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R.M. Henson wrote:
Quote:
3) It takes water, air and warmth to develop rust. You cannot remove air, but you can store your maille in the coldest and driest place possible (driest is more important than coldest of course).

I'm no expert, but just from an anecdote I saw on the forums a while back:

Quote:
About the maille I´ve heared somewhere about the old sand in a barrel trick, you put the maille in a barrel filled one third with sand and let roll for a while. On a ship this may have been done using the natural movement of the hull out on the waves. Something else I´ve found out is that if you have the maille in a bag of canvas and carry it around and let it bounce and move it pollish itself to some degree. The rings turn and clean themself against eachother.

Maybe store it submerged in dry fine sand? I know it's an anecdotal polishing technique more than a preservation technique, but an interesting idea to say the least.

I cleaned my chain mail by partially filling a bucket (that once contained plaster. These buckets are tough and have lids) with sand, putting my maille in it and shaking the bucket in my hands and rolling it around as part of my training. The maille came out clean (not shiny, on the contrary, it became dull gray). I had to do such cleaning only once, because usually simply wearing my chain mail is enough to clean it from minor rust. So this cleaning method is by no means an anecdote. It does work. Same for temperature, humidity and air being required for rust to appear. I can find exact chemical equation if somebody wants. And it is well known that temperature speeds up chemical reactions because the higher the temperature is the faster the particles move and the more readily they interact with each other.
Pete Zahut

PostPosted: Thu 17 Sep, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a shirt of Indian mail made with solid flat links, and round rivited links in alternating rows, this mail was custom fitted to ME and made from very small iron rings. It looks very similiar to many museum pieces I have seen pictures of. Modern iron does not have the same structure as medieval bloomery iron, but to the naked eye it looks very similiar. Blackened stainless and galvanized steel look very different. If you haven't studied metal enough and can't tell the differance, that's ok.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 17 Sep, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pete Zahut wrote:
It looks very similiar to many museum pieces I have seen pictures of.

This is easy to confirm. Simply show a closeup photo of your mail next to a photo of the extant museum equivalent.
Maurizio D'Angelo

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Sep, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

rust yes, rust no.
the risk of complications is clear ...
I'm going to read this topic...What it historical accuracy?
Nick Bourne

PostPosted: Fri 18 Sep, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, just to clear something up, this thread is supposed to be about preventing and repairing rust on maille. I fear this discussion has become more about the authenticity of different types and makes of maille on the market. If we could get back on topic as it started I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
N
Maurizio D'Angelo

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Fri 18 Sep, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oil or galvanised is solution. The answers seem to exist.
Some responses produce, questions. Galvanised is historical?
all here.
Personally, for convenience, galvanised, like Dan says.
Ciao
Maurizio
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw somewhere else on one of these forums the idea of de-rusting the mail by using wood chips (the likes of which you would use as a substrate in a cage for keeping pet rodents) instead of sand. I think it was Jeff Hedgecock of HE who suggested it. I haven't tried it myself, but supposedly it does a good job of absorbing the rust particles without marring the metal.

For preventing rust, my favorite solution is just to make the mail out of aluminum! lol Happy

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Maille maintenance
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: