Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scandanavian Swords With Type R Pommels Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Mark T

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

But wait! There's more, from the same MS - f. 15, Maximilian of Austria:

Quote:
Miniature of Maximilian of Austria giving a knight's sword to his son, Philip, who stands with Mary of Burgundy, the daughter of Charles the Bold. With a scatter border of flowers and acanthus, and a man taking aim at a bird with a bow and arrow.

The irony of all of these possible Type Rs from the Chroniques abrégées des Anciens Rois et Ducs de Bourgogne is that I was originally looking for a different image from this MS - 'Frederick Barbarossa about to embark on his crusade' - which appears to show a possible 'mandarin', or perhaps faceted, version of Type R ... but I haven't been able to find an online version!

Attachment: 245.14 KB
Maximilian of Austria, Chronique des Rois de Bourgogne small.jpg

Attachment: 148.15 KB
Maximilian-of-Austria,-Chronique-des-Rois-de-Bourgogne-detail.gif

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Mark T

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another 'peeled mandarin' variant of Type R - 'Sir Thomas Montacute and Eleanor Holland', depicting Sir Thomas Montacute, 4th Earl of Salisbury and his wife Eleanor Holland, Countess of Salisbury, from the Wrythe Garter Book, Buccleugh Handschrift (15th C.).

For more on Thomas Montacute, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Montacute..._Salisbury

Image is from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sir_Th...lland.jpg, with the original print source being Medieval warfare, H W Koch (London: Bison Books, 1978).

Attachment: 55.1 KB
Sir Thomas Montacute and Eleanor Holland small.jpg

Attachment: 79.22 KB
Sir_Thomas_Montacute_and_Eleanor_Holland-detail.gif

Mark T

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a later image, when Type R pommels were more common. However, this one is interesting in that it shows two Type Rs - one, possibly a 'peeled mandarin' variant, and the other a plain sphere with what appears to be a plain peen.

Details: 'Francis I taken prisoner in the battle of Pavia', Dirk Coornhert (1555).

Attachment: 243.81 KB
Francis-I-taken-prisoner-in-the-battle-of-Pavia,-Dirk-Coornhert,-1555-56.gif

Attachment: 89.83 KB
Francis I taken prisoner in the battle of Pavia, Dirk Coornhert, 1555-56-detail.jpg

Mark T

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And another ... this one from the Roman de Lancelot du Lac (1344), Bibliothèque Nationale.

While the detailing is simple, this arcs on the pommel suggest either a 'peeled mandarin' type, or perhaps curvature of a sphere. As usual, hard to know for sure. However, what is nice is that we have the same sword shown twice, and each with the same artistic effect.

Apologies for the watermarked image ... I couldn't find the original at the BN's website; if anyone else can PM me a link, I'll upload it here. Otherwise, I have it in a large size and will try to scan soon.

Attachment: 194.73 KB
Sir-Lancelot-Crosses-the-Sword-Bridge,-Roman-de-Lancelot-du-Lac-1344-small.gif

Mark T

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This one is from Le livre de la chasse, Gaston Phebus - the Ms français 616, Bibliothèque Nationale.

Unfortunately, the best version I found online doesn't have as much detail as the printed version I have access to, which shows two arcs on the pommel, suggesting the 'peeled mandarin' variant. I'll try to scan that version and replace soon.

Attachment: 73.61 KB
Le livre de la chasse, Gaston Phoebus small.jpg

Attachment: 71.08 KB
Le-livre-de-la-chasse,-Gaston-Phoebus-detail.gif

Mark T

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jun, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's one from the Klingbeil collection, listed by Hermann Historica in 2012:

Quote:
Lot Nr. 88
An arming sword, Italian or Spanish

circa 1530-50. With heavy double-edged blade of flattened hexagonal section coming to a short point (associated), formed with a ricasso and cut with a group of small marks capping a pair of narrow fullers on both sides at the forte, iron proto-rapier hilt formed of a pair of quillons with horizontally recurved fishtail terminals cut with a prominent ridge over their respective outer sides, a pair of faceted arms carrying at their head an inverted U-shaped bar ridged en suite with the quillon terminals (broken at one joint), globular pommel with medial ridge and flattened centres, the outer face deeply incised with a stylised shell, later moulded wire-bound grip, and in wooden scabbard, with shaped throat, covered in modern green velvet, fitted with iron chape, and with modern leather belt. Blade 94.7 cm. Overall length 107 cm. The hilt is a variation of the Type 16 discussed in A.V.B. Norman, The Rapier and Small-Sword 1460-1820, London 1980, pp. 80-82. A sword with a very closely comparable hilt is alternatively given a Spanish late 15th century attribution by Oakeshott. See OAKESHOTT, R. Ewart, The Sword in the Age of Chivalry, New York 1965, pl. 38, Type XVIIIc. The same sword is re-appraised by the author in Records of the Medieval Sword, Woodbridge 1998, p.243

Condition: II Limit: 6000 EURO

Attachment: 42.67 KB
Klingbeil-arming-sword-with-type-R-pommel-1530-1550---Hermann-Historica-1-small.gif

Attachment: 45.44 KB
Klingbeil-arming-sword-with-type-R-pommel-1530-1550---Hermann-Historica-2-small.gif

Attachment: 44.68 KB
Klingbeil-arming-sword-with-type-R-pommel-1530-1550---Hermann-Historica-3-small.gif

Mark T

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jul, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here area couple more, from paintings in the Bayerisches Nationalmuseum posted by Markus Nußbaumer in his Pictures from Bayerisches Nationalmuseum thread.

While these are a dagger and falchion (or kind of sabre?), I thought it relevant to include them here as Sean had opened the thread a while back to be more broadly about the pommel type, and these give a wider reference point. I do have some more images of longswords with Type Rs; just need to grab the time to post them here.

Mark T

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's another, from the Sword of St. Peter thread here: http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=26717

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scandanavian Swords With Type R Pommels
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: