Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Helms Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next 
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vinícius Arruda wrote:
This is my first reply on this forum and I just wanna say that all these helmets are really amazing.
Well, to continue the topic and justify the posting, there are the helmets of my group. Mine one was the top right one...

Welcome Vinicius! I'm quite taken by your re-worked spectacle helm. The oculars look eerily intimidating and the natural patina is very much to my liking. If that bottom helm is your first attempt at welding, I can't wait to see your next one!

Norse re-enactors in Brazil, how cool is that?! Happy

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Vinícius Arruda

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Welcome Vinicius! I'm quite taken by your re-worked spectacle helm. The oculars look eerily intimidating and the natural patina is very much to my liking. If that bottom helm is your first attempt at welding, I can't wait to see your next one!

Norse re-enactors in Brazil, how cool is that?! Happy

Hey, Thanks for the kind words. I also like the aspect of the patina. Looks more "period" to me, don't know.
The small eye holes had this intention, also. I made it to look like a fierce animal, just like Vendel I, but, of course, mixing styles and using some of imagination.
I'm making little progresses at welding, one day I reach somewhere hehe.

About reenacting in Brazil, unfortunally we are the first and only group and we don't look 100% authentic yet, but the road is there and we are walking through, fighting (metaforically and literally) to make it grow up in South America, just like another groups at Chile and Argentina.
Hope one day it may be at least possible to make some festivals, even with the very large distance (temporal, obvious, and geographical) of our own culture and the period one.

Greetings from Brazil Wink
D. Swift

Reading list: 108 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The original Lough Henney helmet was discovered on a crannóg close to the western shore of the lake from which it gets its name in the 19th century. The helmet features elements of both the bascinet and barbuta types and may represent a transitional form. Here is a pic of my replica of the helmet made by Dave Hewitt of White Rose Armoury.
Dave Swift
Claíomh - Irish Living History c.800-1660
http://www.facebook.com/ClaiomhLivingHistory
Justin Lee Hunt

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Got more than a few pics here. I have all my fighting helms presented here. Note that the unpainted sugar loaf is the before pic of a BudK offering, and the one following is the after. The flat topped great helm is actually aluminum, and was made for me for use as a halloween costume piece back before I started medieval combat. Now it just sits on a shelf and looks nice. The back of the sugar loaf reads " Benedictus Dominus Deus meus qui docet manus meas ad proelium." "Blessed is the Lord my God who teacheth my hands to fight."

I opperate a website for my reenactment troop it's www.orderoftherouseclan.org Be sure to check out our forums www.orderoftherouseclan.proboards.com
Mark Routledge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Wollaston Helm England         Reply with quote

Circa mid 7th cent Anglo saxon helm from Northamptonshire, England. Made by Tim Noyes.

www.wessexwildcraft.com
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My heavily-modified GDFB:

Attachment: 200.65 KB
sallet1.gif

Attachment: 159.82 KB
sallet4.gif

Attachment: 206.65 KB
sallet2.gif

Attachment: 199.37 KB
sallet5.gif

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Michel Pérusse

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jul, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My new custom late bascinet from Buyans Armoury:

(Pictures courtesy of Buyans Armoury)
Mirek Macek

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is my new early great helm which was made by Jiri Vanek ( http://www.armour-vanek.cz/ ). The design is inspired by the helmet pictured on the silver seal die of Robert FitzWalter

Attachment: 145.71 KB
IMG_9538.JPG

Attachment: 145.97 KB
IMG_9539.JPG

Attachment: 103.96 KB
IMG_9554.JPG

Attachment: 109.83 KB
IMG_9556.JPG

Attachment: 135.69 KB
IMG_9560 (3).JPG

Attachment: 99.59 KB
IMG_9558.JPG

Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mirek,

Nice helmet! I love how ot flares out so perfectly at the top. It really has the perfect look for the time frame.

RPM
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mirek Macek wrote:
This is my new early great helm which was made by Jiri Vanek ( http://www.armour-vanek.cz/ ). The design is inspired by the helmet pictured on the silver seal die of Robert FitzWalter

Nice! I've been thinking about getting one of those early great helms for years.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's beautiful, Marek! Usually, I couldn't care less about great helms but that one is so elegantly formed it makes me want to try one as a project!
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Mirek Macek

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you all for your comments. When I was looking for an armourer to make my helmet I came across Mr. Vanek's webpages. I did like his style from the very beginning and I sent him an enquiry. His respond was very fast with an enclosed picture of an early great helm (see attachment ). After seeing this beauty there were no doubts who would be my armourer.

PS. This is not my helm

Attachment: 161.66 KB
P4030235.jpg

Last edited by Mirek Macek on Thu 27 Oct, 2011 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mirek,

That's a very nice helm. I really like the battered appearance. Looks like it's been through a few campaigns at this point. Congratulations.

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt Corbin wrote:
Mirek,

That's a very nice helm. I really like the battered appearance. Looks like it's been through a few campaigns at this point. Congratulations.

Yeah, I second that! It'sreally neat!

Thomas

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
Tomas B

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My turn!!! I just received my new helm from Jiri Klepac (Jiří Klepač). I'm attaching the pics he took of it as I haven't had a chance to take ones myself yet.

Tomás B

Attachment: 97.42 KB
[ Download ]
Tomas B

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tomas B wrote:
My turn!!! I just received my new helm from Jiri Klepac (Jiří Klepač). I'm attaching the pics he took of it as I haven't had a chance to take ones myself yet.

Tomás B

And some other angles.

Attachment: 103.03 KB
inside_jiri.jpg

Attachment: 94.31 KB
side_jiri.jpg

Aed Thompson

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Valsgarde 6 amateur replica         Reply with quote

Hi all. New here.
Thought I'd show my new Valsgarde-6 (ish) replica, that I made over the summer. This was my first ever attempt at metalwork, made from B&Q steel. I know it has numerous flaws, but I could never afford to be able to own any of the magnificent work of Thorkil or Dave Roper, so I hope this "will do".

Aed Thompson
Thegns of Mercia
Lukas Schramm

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This helmet looks really great! Especially if this is the first time you worked with metal. I wish,I could do this.

Are you planning to fill the holes in the metalwork with something? Leather perhaps?

Greetings
Lukas
Aed Thompson

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cheers!
I chose the v6 because the framework is visually interesting, and can distract from the fact I couldn't do pressblech or bronze-casting that's typically the mainstay of decoration of these helms.
The original had more of the narrow (I think, bronze) strips that reduced the holes, but even with that, retains this breathable if hole-ridden cap. I don't know if the inside was lined with an organic material or not, but mine is a bit too "well fitting" as it is, so I'm just using a thin leather cap under it. The plus side is it's very light, and deceptively strong.

Aed Thompson
Thegns of Mercia
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a larp helmet of an armouring student of mine from a few summers back.

He'd never made a helmet before and had two weeks to make one before a weekend event. I made cardboard templates from measures of his head, taught him how to dish the skull pieces, he did the rough work of cutting and dishing and drilling. Then we put it together with wing nuts to test fit it on him and make necessary adjustments.
Then he ran out of time for the larp he needed it for and had to go home to pack the rest of his kit, so I took over and did the finishing work of about 4 additional hours or so, cuttng out and dual curving the nasal, planishing all the dished parts, polishing and riveting as well as adding the maille and strap. I was going to add padded cheek plates and a padded leather liner but by then he had to pick it up and go to the Larp so it never got finished.

He was stunned speechless when he came in to pick it up. It'd gone from the rough pocked potato he remembered to a shiny hero helmet in a few hours. Me, I was a little miffed I hadn't got to finish it. But also proud of the solid ground work he'd turned out that allowed me to make it this nice.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Helms
Page 6 of 13 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: