Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Helms Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Is that a 13th C great helm with a visor???         Reply with quote

Michele Hansen wrote:
I have been researching 12th-14th C Norman/French/English arms in depth, and have not seen any documentation that Grete Haumes had hinged visors. My current endeavor is to illustrate the chivalry of the Barons' War 1258-1266 in England. I feel it is safe to assume that polyns, fingered gauntlets, and sleeveless surcotes were in use, but have never seen a mid-late form 13th C helm I could verify was hinged. I have posted one of your photos so everyone can see what I am writing about. If indeed that gorgeous helm is period authentic, a whole new world of "fun with toys for boys (and girls)" has just opened its gates--or lifted its visor--as it were. Irregardless, that is one black and gold masterpiece you have there!

Michele,
Check out our Spotlight article in Great Helms (on the Features Page). There is period art that suggests moveable visors on great helms in the first half of the 14th century. There are no surviving specimens that confirm that, though.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Text indicates that some helms of the late 1280s and on had visors.

RPM
Michele Hansen

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Is that a 13th C great helm with a visor???         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Michele,
Check out our Spotlight article in Great Helms (on the Features Page). There is period art that suggests moveable visors on great helms in the first half of the 14th century. There are no surviving specimens that confirm that, though.

Randall Moffett wrote:
Text indicates that some helms of the late 1280s and on had visors.

RPM

Thanks, Chad and Randall! I will check out the Spotlight feature. As with all developments in armor, art, fashion, etc. . The Italian city states of Florence and Milan, and the French were often the leaders of innovation. Edward I, married Eleanor of Castille from Northern Spain, and Simon de Montfort was born in L'amaury in France, it would not be unreasonable that the nobility of England was fast to adopt any military developments. In my illustrations, I might grit my teeth, and use creative license to push visored great helms back 20 years. *shudder...* I know, I know--lack of evidence is not proof of non-existance, but it still rankles to bend even a trice concerning accuracy.

Il est apelée de Montfort. Il est el Mond, et si est fort. Si ad grant chevalrie; Je vois et je m’ acort. Il eime le droit, et het le tort. Si avera le mestrie!
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These are my three helmets side by side:

Attachment: 77.7 KB
IMG_3596.JPG

Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix R. wrote:
These are my three helmets side by side:

Your trio of helms is spectacular. Not only do they represent my favorite period, they are obviously well made and well cared for. I know you've listed stats on other threads before, but would you mind giving us a quick introduction to each piece?

I can only dream of a trio this nice. Happy

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Felix R.

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Scott.

From left to right:

1) The Houndskull Basinet was made by Jacek Matera of Poland. It is roughly based on the Milanese Basinet in the Wallace collection #69, the liner was made by Jiri Klepac and it has a 8mm solid-wedge riveted GDFB avantail

2) This is just a simple GDFB Kettlehat, that will maybe nead a sewn liner sometime in the future. For the low price it is quite ok. This is ment to be for a early 14th cent Infantry/militia kit.

3) The Basinet on the right was made by Jiri Klepac of Czech Republic. It is based off the Basinet #74 from the Wallace collection with a shovel visor as found in the Stibbert museum. This piece was raised from one sheet of steel. It has a handsewn liner and padded aventeil. The maille is 7mm round ring all riveted.

See pictures of the original for reference

Attachment: 21.83 KB
A69 right 3-4.jpg
Reference for 1

Attachment: 17.3 KB
A74 front.jpg
Reference for 3

Attachment: 76.29 KB
HPIM1682.JPG
Reference for 2

Attachment: 58.86 KB
Visor___Trinci_palace___Foligno.jpg
fresco of Italian soldiers with shovel visors
Michele Hansen

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix R. wrote:
Thank you Scott.

From left to right:

1) The Houndskull Basinet was made by Jacek Matera of Poland. It is roughly based on the Milanese Basinet in the Wallace collection #69, the liner was made by Jiri Klepac and it has a 8mm solid-wedge riveted GDFB avantail

I love the Houndskull Basinet as Its profile looks admirably menacing. The Houndskull is early 15th C. Yes? I have seen it in War of the Roses imagery.

Nice to see a GDFB maille used and the nifty puncture wound. Obviously you use this helm. Cool

Il est apelée de Montfort. Il est el Mond, et si est fort. Si ad grant chevalrie; Je vois et je m’ acort. Il eime le droit, et het le tort. Si avera le mestrie!
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michele Hansen wrote:
I love the Houndskull Basinet as Its profile looks admirably menacing. The Houndskull is early 15th C. Yes? I have seen it in War of the Roses imagery.

They exist into the early part of the 15th century, yes, though most people associate them more with the second half of the 14th century.

Wonderful helmets, Felix! You make me jealous. Happy

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

not to my knowledge were they used in the Wars of the Roses. that is late 15thc England
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know of some bascinets appearing in commoners inventories in the 1460s (York. Archdios. Inventories) but could not tell you more than that. My guess is that such helmets lingered for some time but the cheapness of some simple helmets during the 15th must have made it easy and common to replace a hand-me-down with a newer model.

RPM
Felix R.

PostPosted: Fri 13 Aug, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The two basinets are dated to the last quarter of the 14th cent. The Shovel visor in the Stibbert is dated 14th cent too. The Fresco from Palazzo Trinci should be early 15th cent or earlier. While the GDFB Kettlehat is described as of late 15th cent origin. You see it in the example of the first hallf of the 14th cent. already.
Felix R.

PostPosted: Fri 13 Aug, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michele Hansen wrote:
Felix R. wrote:
Thank you Scott.

From left to right:

Nice to see a GDFB maille used and the nifty puncture wound. Obviously you use this helm. Cool

The pciture with grey background is the original piece from the Walace collection. A thrust puncturing the maille would have had, well, quite bad results for my health although the aventail is padded, it is nor very stiff. It would just help not being killed by glancing strikes or thrusts. Full force thrusts to the throat could still do harm even without puncturing.
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 13 Aug, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Helm question:

I would like to put together a Gallowglass-style kit, like the sort pictured in grave slabs in Western Scotland and the Islands. I think I should get a Houndskull Basinet with integral coif/aventail (not sure what to call it). There's one like this pictured above from Poland - anything like this available in North America?

MRL/Windlass had one for a while, but the mail was attached in a way that made it bunch up.

Thanks, JD

PS - I don't think I want the visor (they aren't pictured in the grave slabs), so I may not be calling this by quite the right name.

PPS - this is the MRL one I was talking about:
http://www.maskworld.com/english/department/l...il--105070
Felix R.

PostPosted: Fri 13 Aug, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Helm question:

I would like to put together a Gallowglass-style kit, like the sort pictured in grave slabs in Western Scotland and the Islands. I think I should get a Houndskull Basinet with integral coif/aventail (not sure what to call it). There's one like this pictured above from Poland - anything like this available in North America?

Do yourself a favour and contact your trusted custom smith. The Guy from Poland did this custom too, it is not his standard portfolio piece (in the case a custom maker has something like this).
Michele Hansen

PostPosted: Fri 13 Aug, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michele the Dunce Posted:

Bill Grandy Posted:

They exist into the early part of the 15th century, yes, though most people associate them more with the second half of the 14th century.

Chuck Russell Posted:

not to my knowledge were they used in the Wars of the Roses. that is late 15thc England

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the lesson about that cool houndskull helm, Gentlemen: I did some research, and learned that the War of the Roses lasted from the 1450s until 1485, when Henry VII ascended the throne and eliminated both York and Lancaster from the competition.

I need some good images of mid/late13th C examples of the Great Helm. I'm working on an oil of a knight of that period. I want the helm to have the correct configuration and riveting. Any of you creators willing to grant me permission to copy your helm design? Thanks!

Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Fri 13 Aug, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some really nice helmets showing up, here! Have to post my latest one, a crested Villanovan helmet dating to the 8th century BC. "Villanovan" is basically the culture of Romulus and Remus, Late Bronze Age/Early Iron Age Italy.

So this is me in my Romulus impression! A number of helmets of this sort have been found, at least 2 of which have MUCH larger crests. These helmets are often referred to as "Etruscan", but they actually predate the era of Etruscan rule in Rome.

I made this helmet, as well as the "poncho" cuirass, from 18 gauge bronze sheet. It was a challenge! Enjoy,

Matthew
T Franks

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 14 Aug, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That Villanovan set up is pretty neat Matthew! That's something you don't see too often Cool
Walter S

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me from where is this picture shown in one of previous posts?

Attachment: 76.29 KB
HPIM1682.JPG

Neil Langley

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Walter S wrote:
Can anyone tell me from where is this picture shown in one of previous posts?

Walter, it's from the 'Address in verse to Robert of Anjou, King of Naples, from the town of Prato in Tuscany'. A 14th century illuminated text. the original is in the British Library: http://www.21citizen.org.uk/catalogues/illumi...tart=60509

Neil.
Chris Gilman

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Is that a 13th C great helm with a visor???         Reply with quote

Michele Hansen wrote:
Chris Gilman wrote:
Here are a couple I made to go play in.

I have been researching 12th-14th C Norman/French/English arms in depth, and have not seen any documentation that Grete Haumes had hinged visors. My current endeavor is to illustrate the chivalry of the Barons' War 1258-1266 in England. I feel it is safe to assume that polyns, fingered gauntlets, and sleeveless surcotes were in use, but have never seen a mid-late form 13th C helm I could verify was hinged. I have posted one of your photos so everyone can see what I am writing about. If indeed that gorgeous helm is period authentic, a whole new world of "fun with toys for boys (and girls)" has just opened its gates--or lifted its visor--as it were. Irregardless, that is one black and gold masterpiece you have there!

Early 14th actually. 1330. There are a number of illustrations that depict visored sugarloaf’s or similar.
The shape of this (particularly the concave visor) is a bit of a “mash up” of period illustrations.
Here is one of the illustrations I was inspired by:

This is worn under the sugarloaf:

Based on this effigy:

Chris

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Helms
Page 4 of 13 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: