Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your first sword. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Ralf Koblatzki

PostPosted: Tue 16 Mar, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: treue fest         Reply with quote

Greetings from Germany,

it's a kind of old german. "In Treue fest"
I think you could translate it like lat. "semper fidelis" -> "für immer treu"

oh i found a description....... :-)
attention now german
"Wahlspruch des Wittelsbacher Hausritterordens vom Hl. Hubertus und der königlich-bayerischen Armee"
It was the slogan from the knights of "Heiligen Hubertus" from the royal bavarian army.......

oh shi.... my english is horrible.
bye
Ralf

Lin Robinson wrote:
Unless you want to count the "Singing Sword" of Prince Valiant, which I received for my sixth birthday, along with matching shield, then it would be a WK&C saber that my then girlfriend's father, a retired Army officer, gave me for my 22d birthday, way back in the last century. I still have the sword, which was given to him by his civilian staff in Germany not long after WWII. It isn't much, but it was the first. The blade is etched with the motto "In Treue Fest", the meaning of which I do not know, having no German, if that is German.
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So here are some pics of my first sword, made by Rob Miller.

Attachment: 28.06 KB
Rob Miller 01.jpg

Attachment: 8.64 KB
Rob Miller 02.jpg

Attachment: 15.6 KB
Rob Miller 03.jpg

Attachment: 14.63 KB
Rob Miller 04.jpg

Attachment: 26.85 KB
Rob Miller 05.jpg

Éirinn go Brách
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Curtin wrote:

It's nice to see more work posted by Rob Miller We haven't seen a lot posted lately!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Stephen Curtin wrote:

It's nice to see more work posted by Rob Miller We haven't seen a lot posted lately!

I know what you mean Nathan, I always love looking at Rob's work and now finally I get to call one of his pieces my own. Rob is a very tallented smith, so I'm happy to do my bit to keep men of his skill level is business during these tough times. He just e-mailed me these images today so now I cant wait to hold this beauty in my hands. I've been on his waiting list for about 18 months and it hasn't really bothered me but now that I've seen it I think all of that patience has gone out the window Big Grin

Éirinn go Brách
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Stephen Curtin wrote:

Perhap's it is the angle of the photograph, but that sword look's like a monster of a blade. It remind's me a bit of the sword of St. Maurice of Turin.

BK

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian K. wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Stephen Curtin wrote:

Perhap's it is the angle of the photograph, but that sword look's like a monster of a blade. It remind's me a bit of the sword of St. Maurice of Turin.

BK

Hi Brian, I dont have any measurements just yet but when I do I'll be sure to post them here.

Éirinn go Brách
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian K. wrote:
It remind's me a bit of the sword of St. Maurice of Turin.

BK

I think it has the same symbols on the blade? So it probably is modeled after the Turin...?
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
Brian K. wrote:
It remind's me a bit of the sword of St. Maurice of Turin.

BK

I think it has the same symbols on the blade? So it probably is modeled after the Turin...?

Hey guys, no I'm afraid it's not modeled after the sword of St. Maurice of Turin. The symbols on the blade are a cross potent, three lines, then another cross potent on one side, and three lines, a cross potent, and three lines on the other. They are inlaid in brass. They are simular to the symbols on the sword of St. Maurice but they were accually taken from another sword which I dont have the picture to at the moment.

Éirinn go Brách
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So here are some rough stats for my rob miller sword

Blade length 33"
Overall length 38 3/4"
Weight 2.58Lb
P.O.B 5" from the guard

I suppose it a big enough sword but what I was looking for Cool

Éirinn go Brách
Quinn W.

PostPosted: Sat 03 Apr, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Curtin wrote:

Rob Miller right off the bat? Whew, but wouldn't that be nice. Beautiful scabbard, too.
It's funny, my first sword was the CAS Iberia War Sword, seen here
http://www.casiberia.com/product_details.asp?id=SH2366
But with a wood grip and a pommel nut. I know it's nothing too high performance, but for financial reasons it's still the one I use today, until I can finally go for an Albion (Steward, I'm thinking).
For the price, it actually handles very well and as I've learned more about swords I continue to be satisfied with it, save that it doesn't really hold an edge.

"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"
Michael MacLeod

PostPosted: Sat 03 Apr, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first sword was a stainless steel scottish short sword that broke at the hilt and later became a dirk. My first real sword was a Hanwei Albrecht II sword. It is a bit distressed and the pommel is loose but it is still functioning.
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Sat 03 Apr, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quinn W. wrote:
Stephen Curtin wrote:

Rob Miller right off the bat? Whew, but wouldn't that be nice. Beautiful scabbard, too.
It's funny, my first sword was the CAS Iberia War Sword, seen here
http://www.casiberia.com/product_details.asp?id=SH2366
But with a wood grip and a pommel nut. I know it's nothing too high performance, but for financial reasons it's still the one I use today, until I can finally go for an Albion (Steward, I'm thinking).
For the price, it actually handles very well and as I've learned more about swords I continue to be satisfied with it, save that it doesn't really hold an edge.

Actually it wasn't that expensive. Rob's prices are pretty reasonable, and as I had to wait in his queue for over a year, it only meant saving a couple of euro each week.

Albions steward is a great choice I wouldn't mind adding one of those to my "collection"

Éirinn go Brách
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well my Rob Miller sword just arrived, save and sound a few minutes ago and I have to say that the pics I posted earlier do not do it justice. Its much prettier in real life Big Grin Its so pretty I think I will have to come up with a name for her, any suggestions people Question
Éirinn go Brách
Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a not very good picture of my first swords.

The lower one is my very first sword, not counting ones I made out of wood or cardboard or stuff like that. It is a cheap knock off katana, a gift from my mother. I received this sword around 1985 or 1986. You probably can't see the chips along the edge where the chrome is flaking off what appears to be copper or a copper alloy below. It is not remotely sharp. The faux ivory is about as faux as you can get. The scabbard is probably the best crafted part of it, although it (like the sword) has seen some terrible abuse.

Obviously, it's really a piece of junk, but I have fond memories of it nonetheless. If nothing else, it's a good reminder of where I started, and where I've come from there.

The upper one is what I consider my first 'real' sword, although I'm sure it doesn't correspond to a historical type. The blade had been milled from spring steel (don't know the exact type) and was sitting around my friends garage for years along with two others. In 1999 I paid to have them hardened and then we worked together to put the furniture together for all three, and I kept this one for myself. we tempered them along the fuller, and the dark fuller is the result of not polishing out the colouration form hardening and tempering. Up close you can still see the heat colours from the tempering.

The edge is unbelievably hard but the softer centre gives enough flex that it isn't brittle. Immediately after we finished putting it together, my friend pounded with it on the steel post supporting the roof of his carport until the post was vibrating about three inches out of line, and this abuse left no mark on the sword.

The sword is a practice sword, so the edge was left about as thick as a dime. After bouting against other sword, I normally have to file the tailings of their edges off my sword, but mine has taken no damage. A friend once borrowed it for a bout, and cut through a 2 inch thick spear shaft with it. I stopped loaning it out at that point, and actually, I rarely use it for anything other than drill. It is really way too heavy as well, although the balance is excellent.

The pommel was welded in and is just a chunk of mild steel (AFAIK). The hilt was silverbrazed on. The grip was made in two parts and fits the full tang exactly. I believe it is mahogany, the wood came from an old barrel my friend bought to recycle the beautiful wood. After my first day of using the sword, I added the brass studs (clipped nails driven into drilled holes) because the wood proved to be slippery in my hand.

A friend of mine made the scabbard for it, which is just medium weight leather with no core. It fits well and works well though. I usually wear it at my right hip, and draw it on the right, even though I am right handed. It's just a personal preference, and I set up the belt to work that way.

I cannot ever foresee another sword replacing this one as the pride of my collection, unless I somehow get the opportunity to forge the blade for one myself

Attachment: 55.36 KB
178.JPG

Ottawa Swordplay
Mark A Smith

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: My First Sword a Del Tin 2132         Reply with quote

My First Sword was an early Del Tin 2132, what MRL called the "Santese Sword" before they were bought out by Windlass Steelcrafts. It was the early 80's and I was visiting Boise, ID, when I happened into a cutlery shop that was going out of business. Everything was 50% off. I saw that Del Tin 2132 and fell in love at first sight. The Cocked-Hat Pommel, the tapered, flatened crosspiece. I snapped it up for $125.00! The next day I went back and got a DT 2133 Brazil Nut Pommel with a wire grip and plain Crossguard for the same price.

I still have my first sword, though I've passed my 2133 on to my son, who is still active in reenactments.

Attachment: 22.41 KB
Santese.jpg
Del Tin 2132, My first love.

Attachment: 30.06 KB
DT 2133.jpg
Del Tin 2133, My second date.

"...nothing can hurt me as long as I keep this bucket on my head."
Julien M

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Goodwin wrote:
First sword a wall hanger that I bought in 1983 after reading Michael Moorcock's - Elric Saga while laying in hospital for nearly a month. Still have it and it still hangs in our living room.

I went back to my parents place for Christmas and found my genuine first sword gathering dust behind a row of books.
I'm quoting you William because it is the same design as yours. It is based on a sword attributed the the "Duque de Alba", Marto has one in it's line up.

I was 12 and was spending most of my time reading Tolkien or chasing some unlikely Orc bands in the nearby woods with my best friend (mountain bike for a steed and my friend had just been offered a practice bow and graphite arrows).

Sure I had made a bunch of wooden swords but I was not really satisfied with those so imagine my surprise when my older sister pulled a sword from her bag when coming back from a high school trip in Spain. I was absolutely raving with joy. Looking back at this event I had forgotten since, I think my obsession for the sword really started here.

Of course, the sword was a wall hanger of the worst kind, rat tang and all, but it was a metal blade nonetheless. The grip was once covered with red thread, the finger guard broke one after the other, the quillons, made of pot metal, gave up shortly after (I used to throw the sword against trees to watch it wobble when it stayed there...with great fascination. Only once or twice I missed the said tree by an inch and the tree caught the quillons instead...Picture of what remains of the sword below:

My grandfather died shortly after, I went to gather a few belongings with my father before his house was sold. In an umbrella pot I found the below, a 1851 french short sword. The hilt is solid brass and appears to be genuine. The blade is not in a good state, and the original shape is hard to figure out. The peen is also gone and the blade comes out with little effort as the fit at the guard is less than optimal. I might purchase an original antique blade one of these days and make this little sword complete again. I'll use the blade for a dagger if the metal is worth something. I brought this one back to England with me, while the other was not worth the effort (save for sentimental value).

Cheers,

J
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first sword was the Windlass Fantasy Viking Sword. Still have it. Cool
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first sword was a DSA Scottish Claymore. I still have it, since I bought it less than a year ago. I have the second ordered, a Gen 2 River Witham. The new production run is going to come out in about a month. I've got a space reserved in line at Tritonworks for upgrades to both..... then perhaps I'll go for a higher quality or custom sword.
Although I've been a sword appreciator for many years I've only recently began doing anything about it.
Marik C.S.

PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Your first sword...         Reply with quote

...you remember owning.

Well I got thinking today about how I got into swords and all that shiny - and not so shiny - medieval stuff.
And honestly, I can't remember.
It has always been a thing for me, sometimes more acute than others and with varying points that focused my attention over time but never far from me.

Not remembering in general isn't really a great place to start a trip down memory lane, but I did remember something else.

The first sword (-ish thing) I remember owning. Now it is most certainly not the first thing of that category there was for me, far from it. It is merely the one I seem to remember most right now and in most detail.

Feel free to join in, I'd love to hear other what other people have as their first remembered contact to swordy stuff (Or general Arms&Armour for that matter, I just like to stick to swords due to my particular example).

As far as I'm concerned this first sword can be anything. A stick you imagined to be your sword, a piece of cardboard cut into vaguely cross-shape with a point on one end, a toy of any shape or size - might even be a particular piece of Lego you got really attached to. Or it might have been a "real" sword either wooden or maybe even steel?
I would specify though that it should be something you particularly identified as "your sword" (or other piece of Arms&armour) not just something sword-like you happened to own. I'm assuming people here know what I mean by that because I can't think of a better way of describing this.

Now without further ado, the sword I did remember wasn't a sword at all. It most certainly wasn't the first contact, I've seen pictures of me that put that particular milestone way further back.
I actually was a pendant I got - after a lot of fuss I'm sure, though I choose not to remember that Wink - on a renaissance faire when my family and I were visiting my uncle. I remembering it being outrageously expensive for what it was - but then again, when are things on a ren-faire ever reasonably priced, right?
What it was, was a sword made from pewter, the grip covered with red enamel which to me back then looked very much like ruby. Very simple shape, what Looking back I'd call an Oakeshott Family H type. I remember distinctly, that it fit the hand of a Lego-Figurine perfectly though it was massively too long for it's size - if I'm not mistaken it might have towered 1.5 times as tall as the figurine in question, so about 3" on the sword I'd guess.
As one can imagine, quite thin items made from pewter and playing with it like Lego don't go well together. I think it survived about a week, possibly less, before the blade snapped off.

Come to think of it, this might just be my only broken sword so far, I don't remember breaking my wooden ones as a kid (though those owned by other people did suffer a bit) and the steel have all survived well through quite harsh HEMA training over the last couple of years.

Let's see what kind of anecdotes you come up with, meanwhile I'm going to jump on Google-Image search and try to dig up something similar to what I remember.

Europe - Where the History comes from. - Eddie Izzard
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first steel sword was Hanwei Practical singlehander. I was never really happy with it, I wanted a longsword, but I had no money for Hanwei Bastard available at the same store. I later sold it and gathered more money and got a Windlass 15th century longsword. The sword I still regret selling.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your first sword.
Page 5 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: