Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Naked Truth About Cutting - A Few Bare Facts Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Mark Millman

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jan, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear M. Le Chevalier,

On Tuesday 26 January 2010, you wrote:
But why would your sword make him move, unless it creates a significant threat even on an armoured spot?

I believe that the defender must respond because, contrary to some of the assertions made earlier in this thread, I don't think that a combatant under these conditions can afford to neglect attacks against unarmored regions such as the face and, very often, much of the arms and legs. It's the perception of threat that's the key here, whether or not the attacker may be able to hit a particular target at any specific moment. To avoid the risk of potentially disabling injury the defender must react, unless he's certain that the adversary cannot hit his target. After that, it's a question of skill in combat. I'm certainly not willing to guarantee that even a very convincing attack with the sword to, for example, the face between the helmet and the shield will inevitably result in the defender's acting in such a way as to leave himself immediately vulnerable to a shield-strike.

Quote:
I agree that the shield is also good at impacts, but it does not reach as far, and is probably slower therefore less deceptive than the sword. I'm all for treating the shield as a weapon but not so much that the sword becomes reputedly useless as long as there is a bit of armour involved...

I'm hardly arguing that the sword is useless. I'm suggesting that the idea of using it deliberately to deliver impact damage against armored--mailed or helmeted--portions of an adversary is unlikely to reflect historical practice. I'm also arguing that the shield is probably a superior device for the delivery of impact damage. And finally, I'm arguing that in order to make such a system work, the sword and shield need to be used as complements to each other. Regrettably, these issues don't lend themselves to instant clarity. How, for example, do you envision the shield-strike being made? I imagine a thrust with the shield's leading edge. And as I'm talking about early-medieval round, center-grip shields and the swords contemporary with them ("Viking" swords), I also envision a situation in which the majority--I'd venture to say the great majority--even of well-equipped combatants who own mail don't enjoy coverage of the arms below the elbows or the legs below the knees; and in general, actually, I'd argue for somewhat less coverage than that.

I know that there will be exceptions to all generalizations, but that doesn't necessarily invalidate the generalizations, if those generalizations are well founded and if the limits of the situations to which they're meant to apply are understood. You are, naturally, free to disagree with my premises or the conclusions I draw from them. For my part, I'll continue to believe that attacks with the early-medieval sword against mail or helmets are likely to be ineffective and thus likely to have been avoided by historical combatants.

Quote:
Regards,

Best,

Mark Millman
P. Cha

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jan, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vincent, I think you maybe over-estimating the amount of blunt force you can get through chainmail.

Okay some more chainmail stories, in the SCA, using rattan, if I use welded chainmail and have a gambeson on, I can have a very strong person do a pull back and use all his might blow with a two handed rattan sword and I would get a mild bruise that goes away in a couple days. That is WAY more percussive force then what you would see in a normal sword fight from the sword. Is giving a bruise better then not doing anything at all? Well yes...but it would hardly be anything to end the fight. Yeah with enough of them...maybe...but itīd take you ALL day to get to that level, and quite frankly dehydration would get you before that point. Arms, legs and head are better targets. Even with the helm, you can knock them out. SCA helms are thicker then historical counterparts with more padding and people STILL get KOed through the helm.

As for half swording with a shield...actually it can be done. You use the shield to stabilize the tip of your sword. It works quite well actually.
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jan, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark,

Sword and shield is not my thing, but you raise excellent points and I basically agree with you.

Vincent, that was a great question about the threat of the sword, and I was thinking the same thing, but Mark's answer makes sense to me.

I was never happy with the idea that people went to all this trouble to make these sharp things called swords and then advocated smashing them into iron armor. Assuming very few people you fight will be mailed, that will still ruin your edge and make you unable to defeat the textile armor of the rest.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jan, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:
Okay some more chainmail stories, in the SCA, using rattan, if I use welded chainmail and have a gambeson on, I can have a very strong person do a pull back and use all his might blow with a two handed rattan sword and I would get a mild bruise that goes away in a couple days.

I haven't used rattan personally, but from a physics point of view this doesn't make sense. The round rattan has a much larger impact area than a narrow sword edge. Also, the rattan itself absorbs a lot of the power in a blow. A steel sword should cause much more damage than a rattan pole when swung with the same amount of force.
P. Cha

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jan, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sander Marechal wrote:
P. Cha wrote:
Okay some more chainmail stories, in the SCA, using rattan, if I use welded chainmail and have a gambeson on, I can have a very strong person do a pull back and use all his might blow with a two handed rattan sword and I would get a mild bruise that goes away in a couple days.

I haven't used rattan personally, but from a physics point of view this doesn't make sense. The round rattan has a much larger impact area than a narrow sword edge. Also, the rattan itself absorbs a lot of the power in a blow. A steel sword should cause much more damage than a rattan pole when swung with the same amount of force.

That is true if you are unarmored...but with chainmail, rattanīs blunt force doesnīt get disbursed much more. A swordīs focused energy however gets disbursed quite a bit. Using a 3 lb metal rod feels about the same as a 3 lb rattan stick in the chainmail for instance. While NOT in chain, the metal rod hurts a hell of a lot more.
Harry J. Fletcher

Reading list: 44 books

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jan, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Points To Remember (Cutting Not Thrusting)         Reply with quote

A Knight or man at arms would most likely seek a worthy adversary so as M. Le Chavalier has pointed out that adversary would most likely be wearing mail, helmet, carrying a shield (and wearing an undergarmet underneath his hauberk likely to be padded as mentioned above.) Engaging such an adversary would mean landing blows wherever the opportunity presented itself. Yes, there are better places to land a blow with the sword than others but in a fight one takes any opening one can get.

Also as M. Le Chavalier has pointed such swords as used would be broad bladed and slightly blade heavy although handling well (though not all did so) your typical Oakshotte Type X, XI, XII blade. This would serve to land a percussive force to an area of contact and the very narrow edge would transmit that force to the wearer. The head with a helmet was vulnerable as pointed out and so were the legs as one Norweigian King called his sword LEG BITER. Additionally, a sword blade would lose its edge after making repeated contact with mail, shield, or helmet. Mail dangling from the helmet would protect the neck from a cut but not from a sword blow. There is also the chance that mail links could burst and a cut be made which would cause a cleaver like cut.

As M. Le Chavalier and myself have pointed out blows which landed and did not cause percussive effect or cut still had a distractive value and allowed additional follow up blows to be made which might be more effective. Such a momentary effect while not disabling could cause an adversary to drop his sword arm a bit or his shield arm and allow for a more effective sword blow to be made which could be a cut or percussive blow to the head.

If one keeps an open mind it is not so hard to reach a reasonable conclusion from the empirical evidence.

Regards,

Harry

To Study The Edge of History
David Teague

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jan, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Points To Remember (Cutting Not Thrusting)         Reply with quote

Harry J. Fletcher wrote:
A Knight or man at arms would most likely seek a worthy adversary

No, that is a Victorian myth.

They had the best armor on to protect their bodies and their sword were best suited for cutting down the lightly armoured base soldiers of the other side.

While knights would and did seek each other out for deeds of arms or to capture the other for ransom in battle you can bet your padded jack that they would cut down all the base soldiers they could on the way over to the nearby knight.

Men at Arms, they'd just slay as they had no ransom value in combat.

Cheers,

DT

PS Since I can't take it anymore... it's "mail" , "maille" if you prefer the French spelling. Chainmail is a letter were you are asked to send it on to 10 or more friends or bad luck will befall you. One Victorian writer just happened to write a book about armour and he called mail, chainmail , plate armour platemail, and scale armour, scalemail . He was wrong and because of his actions a curse was placed on those words. Please know this, each time a person posts the word "chainmail" a pretty kitten dies. Eek! Your combine posts made me kill 3 just to get the word out. Cry

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Harry J. Fletcher

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jan, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Seeking The Golden Parachute and Pleasing the Boss         Reply with quote

Well, this is digressing into another subject area and I would rather stick to cutting. bashing, and slashing, etc. However, I guess we can address this point. In the social system of the time one's social and economic status depended upon one's Lord. Poor or Bachelor Knights who performed well in battle were rewarded with grants of land and therefore an income. Men at Arms could hope to be Knighted if noticed by his retainer or someone of nobility. There was really no challenge bashing and slashing men of lower status poorly protected. Knight, Noble, King, and Man at Arms all sought out worthy opponents. The King had to be seen as a strong courageous leader, the nobles worthy of the King's largesse, and the Knights worthy of the Nobility's patronage. Besides economic considerations there was also social status based upon honor (read bravery, valor, etc.)

One example is the invasion of Egnland by William the Bastard or William the Norman. His retainers followed him hoping for grants of land. The whole feudal system was based upon this concept. The college courses I have taken, books I have read, and studies I have done, all are empirical evidence demonstrate that this is so. I find it rather hard to argue this point with people who simply refuse to accept it or think they know different.

Human nature being what it is these Knights, nobility, and men at arms simply wanted to impress the boss and get a bonus. Today, we want be the badest guy on the golfcourse. Back then they wanted to be the badest hombre on the battlefield and impress the boss, get the big house, the great big yard, and the servants plus the golden parachute as a reward. Only difference between then and now is that the game was just a bit tougher back then and the rewards were a hell of lot more substantial.

If someone doesn't want to accept this then they are stuck with an erroneous view of history and I won't change their minds no matter how much evidence I present to prove my statement. If they think I am wrong it doesn't bother me in the least because I know I am solid ground.

Regards,

Harry

David Teague

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jan, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Harry,

I change my mind all the time on issues by reading, studying facts and exploring both sides.

Medieval history is my hobby and I'm a living historian that portrays a lesser knight in1388 Scotland along with my tenant farmers. I've studied the lifestyle of the lesser knights and how they interfaced with the families they were responsible for.
I'm lucky enough to have 25-40 fellow living historians who are willing to work with me as tenants/ pikemen, craftsmen, retainers, and men at arms that a lesser knight would have in his holdings at events.

However, since you brought up 1066 and the Norman invasion...

Who were the troops with King Harold?

Were they all knights of England?

No. They were the Saxon Fyrd. The Fyrd base was farmer/ part time soldiers that were selected out of each set of 'hides" to serve the king for 30 days a year. The Saxons had a set of laws about the duties of each male of weapon bearing age ( the Greater Fyrd) and laws set about the duties of the part time paid solders ( the Fyrd) and last , laws set about the duties of the full time paid solders of the Thegn, the Huscarls.

Who were the troops with William the Duke of Normandy?

Were they all knights of Normandy?

No, The Norman army was made up of nobles, mercenaries, and troops from Normandy , Flanders, Brittany and France, with some from as far as southern Italy. Yes they came for land grants.

You might want to expand your reading to other areas of the history of the knights as while points you make are correct, they are only a piece of the puzzle.

I'll leave you with this tidbit, Codex Wallerstein (a German 15th century fightbook) has a illustration and text telling a knight how to rob a wealthy peasant by making him think you cut his throat...

Cheers,

David

PS My Group at an event

My Harness (and period hair)

My pikemen.

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."

Last edited by David Teague on Wed 27 Jan, 2010 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
Sword and shield is not my thing, but you raise excellent points and I basically agree with you.

Vincent, that was a great question about the threat of the sword, and I was thinking the same thing, but Mark's answer makes sense to me.

Made sense to me too, thanks for the clarification Mark. It all depends a great deal on what exact armour the opponent is carrying.
I still think having some potential for percussion is good if only because of what P. Cha pointed out: people get K.Oed even through helmets. Seems to be a useful skill to have...

About the effect on mail I could well be mistaken, further testing should be made in my opinion. A sword is way more rigid edge-to-edge than rattan, and also more than an iron or steel bar of the same weight. I'd like to see the effect on mail + gambison of a real sword, specifically the effect on what's under the gambison.

Quote:
I was never happy with the idea that people went to all this trouble to make these sharp things called swords and then advocated smashing them into iron armor. Assuming very few people you fight will be mailed, that will still ruin your edge and make you unable to defeat the textile armor of the rest.

Well yes, but the problem is how you behave to avoid using your sword on opponents so armoured that you won't manage to hit only the soft parts.

Yeah I know, take up an impact weapon, but you won't always have that at hand...

Regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Harry J. Fletcher

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Living History is Fine Don't Disregard Academia         Reply with quote

Hello David,

I applaud people like you and your group for reviving skills and arts of the past. Still I feel I am on solid academic ground for my thinking. Rather than turn this discussion into an epistemological disagreement I would prefer to get back to the essence of the main thread i.e. the naked facts of cutting.

Regards,

Harry

Bonjour M. Le Chavalier,

I think you stated the argument succinctly when you described the shape of the sword blade which came about for attacking mail. As you stated the sword blade evolved into differents forms as armor evolved. The most difficult point for people to understand is that the medieval period was a continuum of time and as one progresses on that continuum armor and swords changed to meet the new challenges. A second point also misunderstood is that there was a repetition of sword and armor types of an earlier era, a reinventing of the wheel so to speak.

There is a tendency for those involved in a discussion to use inductive reasoning. Taking exceptions and generalizing from them rather than using deductive reasoning from the general pattern while noting exceptions. That is to say exceptions do not make the rule.

As you have properly pointed out an armored opponent was most likely to be encountered. If the primary weapon such as an axe, spear, mace, was lost thru breakage such as an axe handle, spear shaft, or thrown such as a spear, mace, or even an axe then the sword would be resorted to and it was problematic how to deal with an armored opponent.

As you have stated it was far more likely that a percussive blow would have been delivered than a cutting blow and it was far more likely that the sword's sharp edge would be blunted with repeated blows to shield or armored opponent but would still be capable of delivering a cleaving blow.

I think that you and I are in agreement with my hypothesis that a sword blow tends to be (1) percussive and (2) a cut will be a cleaving cut, (3) and a slicing cut is much less important than (1) and (2). Against unarmored opponents a sword cut can be either cleaving or a slicing type of cut but probably will be a cleaving cut due to the main impact of the blade and its design.

Harry

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Points To Remember (Cutting Not Thrusting)         Reply with quote

David Teague wrote:
Harry J. Fletcher wrote:
A Knight or man at arms would most likely seek a worthy adversary

No, that is a Victorian myth.

[They had the best armor on to protect their bodies and their sword were best suited for cutting down the lightly armoured base soldiers of the other side.

While knights would and did seek each other out for deeds of arms or to capture the other for ransom in battle you can bet your padded jack that they would cut down all the base soldiers they could on the way over to the nearby knight.

Cheers,

DT

PS Since I can't take it anymore... it's "mail" , "maille" if you prefer the French spelling. Chainmail is a letter were you are asked to send it on to 10 or more friends or bad luck will befall you. One Victorian writer just happened to write a book about armour and he called mail, chainmail , plate armour platemail, and scale armour, scalemail . He was wrong and because of his actions a curse was placed on those words. Please know this, each time a person posts the word "chainmail" a pretty kitten dies. Eek! Your combine posts made me kill 3 just to get the word out. Cry

Maybe not such a hasty look at history does show rather paltry occasions to ransom less than knights. This one sticks in my mind, as it was during other readings. One line (underlined) does not ring true to history. Certainly, more than just knights were ransomed and at times fairly large groups. Iirc it was not just nobles that were killed as a group at Agincourt. Anyway, below is a note regarding what must have been a fairly common occurrence. A tailor saving a fuller seemingly a bit less than knightly business.

18 Dec. 1370
Beatrix, wife of Reginald Fuller, tailor, paid William Knotte, tailor, the sum of 8 marks, in the presence of the Recorder and certain Aldermen, towards obtaining the release of her husband and John Goldesmore, fuller, who had been captured by Frenchmen and imprisoned in Boulogne. The said Reginald Fuller had been already liberated by John de Burer of Boulogne in order to raise 20 marks, the amount of the ransom. Subsequently the ransom demanded had been reduced to 8 marks. It was agreed that William Knotte should refund the money if he failed to secure the release of John Goldesmore. At the same time William Knotte became surety for John Goldesmore that the latter would make no claim on the said Reginald for staying in England.

The original context here
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=36680

Cheers

GC
P. Cha

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
Michael Edelson wrote:

Made sense to me too, thanks for the clarification Mark. It all depends a great deal on what exact armour the opponent is carrying.
I still think having some potential for percussion is good if only because of what P. Cha pointed out: people get K.Oed even through helmets. Seems to be a useful skill to have...

About the effect on mail I could well be mistaken, further testing should be made in my opinion. A sword is way more rigid edge-to-edge than rattan, and also more than an iron or steel bar of the same weight. I'd like to see the effect on mail + gambison of a real sword, specifically the effect on what's under the gambison.

Well I have done some tests of chain + gambeson on cored tatami. The sword really didnīt do very much. The tatami fibers werenīt even mildly mushed. Axes (one handed) caused the fibers to get mushed...no ring failure. Spiked mass weapons broke rings and dug in nice and deep. War hammers (once again one handed) broke no rings, but destroyed the wooden core. Flanged maces broke rings and utterly destroyed the wooden core. The sword used as a hacking and cleaving weapon against such armored target area is nigh useless. The comparative test with the SCA sword and the metal rod backs this up. If you are gonna do such an attack, the best place is the head...but hereīs another thing to toss in...your sword can be a mass spiked weapon. Go murder stroke. Or use the pommel to bludgeon. Both those methods worked WAY better against the chain then trying to hack and cleave through it. Also against the helmeted area as well.

Quote:
Quote:

Well yes, but the problem is how you behave to avoid using your sword on opponents so armoured that you won't manage to hit only the soft parts.

Yeah I know, take up an impact weapon, but you won't always have that at hand...

Regards,

See above about using other parts of the sword Wink .
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:

Well I have done some tests of chain + gambeson on cored tatami. The sword really didnīt do very much. The tatami fibers werenīt even mildly mushed. Axes (one handed) caused the fibers to get mushed...no ring failure. Spiked mass weapons broke rings and dug in nice and deep. War hammers (once again one handed) broke no rings, but destroyed the wooden core. Flanged maces broke rings and utterly destroyed the wooden core. The sword used as a hacking and cleaving weapon against such armored target area is nigh useless.

My own tests, some of which I've published online, back this up as well. The sword conveys very little force to the target unless it cuts. I don't know why this is, but it just is. Maybe because there is so little mass at the point of impact.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
P. Cha

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Living History is Fine Don't Disregard Academia         Reply with quote

Harry J. Fletcher wrote:

There is a tendency for those involved in a discussion to use inductive reasoning. Taking exceptions and generalizing from them rather than using deductive reasoning from the general pattern while noting exceptions. That is to say exceptions do not make the rule.

Harry

Umm okay you do realize that from the replies that you have been getting that YOU are the exception...so does that not mean you are doing inductive reasoning and the rest of us are doing deductive?

About your academically sound theories...yeah, my medieval history professors at UC Berkeley would have to rather severely disagree with such an over simplified version of the socio-economics of the era. If you are an honest student of history, I surely hope that your message got simplified and diluted due to the constraints of a message board. But then again over simplifying something and calling it academical sound isnīt exactly academically sound (I should know, I failed a term paper because of it once).
David Teague

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Points To Remember (Cutting Not Thrusting)         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
David Teague wrote:

Maybe not such a hasty look at history does show rather paltry occasions to ransom less than knights.

Nor should a quick internet posting be an academic peer review. Wink

Your forgot the the Christians of Jerusalem... they were ransomed by Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn Yūsuf ibn Ayyūb.

Ok, what I should have said was during the heat of battle, it was common for a non-noble man at arms to be killed vs a well marked knight who might be offered a chance of ransom. If a large group was captured, those with value would be ransomed, those with out value could be executed on the battlefield . Happy? Happy Nothing is ever Black and White, especially history.

The one English conflict where non-nobles were shown mercy over captured knights and nobles was the War of the Roses. In that conflict (since it was a war between ruling families for the throne), it became the norm with captured knights and higher ranking nobles to kill them after the battle. I forget which WotR's battle where one of the leaders of the winning side started bellowing out "Save the commons!" "Save the commons!" "Save the commons!" to keep his victorious troops from killing anymore of the trained professional English solders (Reason being, since the nobles who brought them there were is the process of dying, the surviving soldiers could go to work for his side.) That was a weird war in the fact that it wasn't a civil war, everybody was English, and they weren't changing forms of government. Just fighting among the ruling class to see who got the shiny crown... and Henry Tudor was the dark horse who snuck into the show on the last act and got the gold.

Now we need to return this thread to Harry on the issue of cuts & cutting.

Cheers,

David

Last edited by David Teague on Wed 27 Jan, 2010 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi David,

Big Grin

Not to digress entirely off the track but at the onset of the War of The Roses, you have the rebel archers at Shrewsbury reassigned or killed, their choice and that would be a case of self ransom. I'll admit this thread to be quite harried but the count of kittens killed over absolutes may (in the end) be staggering.

Two nights until the full moon. Laughing Out Loud

GC
Harry J. Fletcher

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Apology To David         Reply with quote

David was very correct in saying that those heavy behemoths seeking suitable targets slaughtered any commoners who got in their way to a suitable opponent. Heavy cavalry charged the less glamorous infantry formations to break them and used their swords to the point of dullness in cutting down these unglamous nothings in a melee. And yes, I freely admit there are many exceptions to the rule. An army was assembled by the King's nobles bringing their retainers and by hiring mercenaries since there was no standing army as such. In a sense the nobility was the national guard and the peasants the militia.

As Mr. Cha correctly pointed out the aristocracy was not the only part of the medieval economy. A sort of dual economy existed of freemen with their holdings and in the towns. Freeholders existed along side of the great land holdings of the nobles. The freeholders in England provided the longbow archers of the period. It is however dependent on what area of Europe, at what time on the continuum during the medieval period one is. In some areas of Europe manufacturing and town guilds provided many goods for consumption. For the purposes of this discussion however; it is the economy of the aristocracy, power and priviledge which led men to seek out worthy opponents who were more than likely to be armored which has led to this digression in the first place.

For anyone I have offended with my remarks I humbly apoligize if I was somewhat overzealous in presenting my views.

Regards,

Harry Happy Happy Happy Happy

Last edited by Harry J. Fletcher on Wed 27 Jan, 2010 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Millman

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

On Tuesday 26 January 2010, Mr. Edelson wrote:

Thank you very much. I know that you put a great deal of thought into your training, so I feel that your being convinced by my argument carries some weight.

And on Wednesday 27 January 2010, M. Le Chevalier wrote:
Made sense to me too, thanks for the clarification Mark.

You're very welcome. I'm happy that I was able to elucidate my position.

Quote:
It all depends a great deal on what exact armour the opponent is carrying.

Yes it does. Indeed, I think that specificity is crucial in a discussion such as this one.

Quote:

I'm not saying the potential isn't there. I just don't believe that swords typically were used to deliver concussive blows to helmets. Certainly in extremis one might take any sort of unusual action. But in general, I think that attacks with the sword's edges to armored targets were avoided.

Quote:

I'm afraid I can't address this, as I've never participated in nor seen a test designed to evaluate this set of situations. Frankly, I share to a large degree Dan Howard's pessimism about most testing as it's usually conducted, so any test would have to be very well designed and executed for me to find it convincing.

Mr. Edelson wrote:

I find this argument particularly compelling because of the very acute angles of the edges on early-medieval swords. This is purely speculative opinion and should not be read as argument; but I'd think that if people expected to strike their edges against armor, swords with more obtuse edges would have appeared in the early middle ages.

M. Le Chevalier wrote:

It's exactly there, in my opinion, that the skill in early-medieval sword-and-shield combat lies. Let's not think that this is easy. Six centuries later, George Silver wrote that the fight of the sword and buckler is the safest of all fights, and the early-medieval shield gives a lot more coverage.

Quote:

I think that if you're caught without your shield, you probably have bigger worries than finding a mace, an axe, or a club. If you have your shield, then in my opinion you've got an impact weapon.

Quote:
Regards,

Best,

Mark Millman
Aleksei Sosnovski

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jan, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Vincent Le Chevalier"]
Michael Edelson wrote:

I have been fighting with steel blunts for several years and I can tell you that when I wear a relatively thick gambeson and maille over it I barely feel most hits. And I get bruised VERY rarely. If we speak about more massive body parts (thighs, chest, etc.) It is possible to injure somebody through maille and gambeson (without penetrating them) with a sword, but it requires a VERY strong or lucky blow. Definitely not something I would rely on, especially considering that most of my opponents weigh 40-60 lbs more than me. However joints are another story. Elbows, forearms, hands and knees can be damaged relatively easily when not covered by something rigid. And hands and knees are relatively easy to hit. But probably the easiest place to hit would be the face, and it would be my primary target (along with hands if my opponent does not have proper gauntlets).

But ultimately I think that the question of hitting or not hitting armor with a sword is somewhat not related to real life. One can and should try to hit his opponent into places not covered with armor. And one should avoid needlessly dulling his sword. But when being hit, one's opponents will do their best to get hit in the least dangerous places, i.e. places covered with armor. So whether one wants to hit maille with his precious sword or not, he will most likely anyway do it if he faces maille-clad opponents. Same goes for helmets and other armor pieces.

And let's not forget that most swords in middle ages were total crap compared to modern reproductions like Albion swords. Take a sword with edge hardness around 40 HRC (an excellent sword for 11-14 century and a good sword for 15-16 century) and let somebody deflect your blow with similar sword, or, even worse, stop your blade with the flat of his blade. Your sword will get dull in the place of impact. I've done this, so I know. Same will happen if you hit a helmet. So I am pretty skeptic about all these videos where people effortlessly cut things with razor-sharp blades. However I am not saying that swords should be dull, because in a battle they will stay sharp for at least some time, and in a duel one might even get away without seriously dulling his blade. And, of course, there always are and have been people obsessed with sharpness. And there were some really good swords that could withstand rigors of battle much better than an average blade too. However when learning to cut, and especially doing some test cutting in order to understand what a medieval sword can do, one should try both sharp and dull blades. Because that is what a warrior would most likely have in a real life: a sharp blade at the beginning of the fight, and a dull blade, maybe even nicked so badly that it looks more like a saw, at the end. And still a warrior would have to kill his opponents, one way or another.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Naked Truth About Cutting - A Few Bare Facts
Page 5 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: