Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new helmet Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Tue 18 May, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the red straps going around the backs of the helms are holding on the throat collar/gorget thing. There are two guys wearing the collars, and they are the same two guys with those straps.
Ottawa Swordplay
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 18 May, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the image and the book tip, Mark! I've just ordered a used copy of the book for $45. Next step up was $80 and a new copy was listed for $245! Eek! I'm making it a policy to jump on these things when I can because the prices go nuts after they've been out of print for awhile.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Mark T

PostPosted: Tue 18 May, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Shackleton wrote:
I'm pretty sure the red straps going around the backs of the helms are holding on the throat collar/gorget thing. There are two guys wearing the collars, and they are the same two guys with those straps.

That's what it looked like to me too, but this doesn't seem practical ... do we have any other sources that suggest the bevor was sometimes strapped around the helm, rather than the neck? How could that work? Or could this just be an artists' error? I'd be interested to hear what others think - this intrigues me!

Sean Flynt wrote:
Thanks for the image and the book tip, Mark! ... I'm making it a policy to jump on these things when I can because the prices go nuts after they've been out of print for awhile.

No problem - just trying to begin to give something back for all I've learnt here! In some ways, it's a source that's a bit like Venus and Mars: The world of the medieval housebook - although with a lot more content - the real value is in the things that can be learnt if you have an attention to detail. (Hence my guess that you and Ben would like it.) And, while some of the images will appear too small on the printed page to see some of the detail we'd want to, with their complete details of image name and creator, most can now be found online, allowing us to zoom in on key elements. So think of it as an 'Imareal sampler', which just also happens to have a fascinating commentary ...

Ben: Back to topic - two weeks on, how's Sally going? Has she had a 'workout' yet?
Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Tue 18 May, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that the reason that the throat collar works in this instance is that it isn't really a bevor at all. It looks more like the kind of thing we see on grand bascinets like this one, except I've never seen one held on by a strap before. I'm not an expert on this by any stretch, though.
Ottawa Swordplay
Ben van Koert

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Wed 19 May, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I'm somewhat back from the grave, after a 4 day camp, 2 day tourney, work and a trip to the veterinary, but now I can finally write you guys back. Thanks so much for the book link! This is indeed a book I'll appreciate, one can never have too many information.

About Sally, well, I can sum it up quite like this: She's a mean tough babe!
It was wonderful fighting with her. For the tournament I chose another setup than in the photos I posted earlier in this topic, without the maille standard and voiders, but with brigandine spaudlers and spring steel lightweight armpieces. Sans the standard, the bevor fitted much closer and better, although I'd still like to have it more up, so probably I'm going to add the spring to keep it up.
In the videoclips I made, I noticed that in my fighting position, the sallet comes down a lot more and the protection is much better, while allowing for a lot of breath.

The weight of the sallet is marvellous, as mass comes with it's own protection. Due to a misunderstanding I recieved two solid polaxe blows vertically to the head, and I felt very little of it. Damage: a tiny dent in the crest, almost invisible to see.
After the hits I was mortified, but after I saw how well she took the blows, I had the guts to wear her in the rougher parts of the tourney too.

Here are some more photos of the event:
http://www.oypo.nl/pixxer.asp?id=C562DE4FA1D646C6

http://www.oypo.nl/pixxer.asp?id=5FCC718FA1E3233A

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=60338&a...b04679b0f6

Last edited by Ben van Koert on Wed 19 May, 2010 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 19 May, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben van Koert wrote:
Hi everyone!
In the videoclips I made, I noticed that in my fighting position, the sallet comes down a lot more and the protection is much better, while allowing for a lot of breath.

Are the videos available online? I haven't seen anything on the Zwaardkring forum either. I'd love to see you fighting in that kit.
Ben van Koert

PostPosted: Wed 19 May, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I hope this'll work:
http://www.facebook.com/v/1421839622711
This one's a bit rough. In my role I was defending one of the ladies' dog's honour, so that explains the dishonourable blows at 1:30.. Wink

I'm in this one as well, fourth fight:
http://www.facebook.com/v/1422465718363
Mark T

PostPosted: Wed 19 May, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

But you redeem yourself with a nice disarm! Wink
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Wed 19 May, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great videos Ben, thanks for posting them.
Wayne Norman

PostPosted: Fri 22 Oct, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those chaps with the leather strap around the helmet look like are wearing wrappers on the front of an armet, the date of the painting, and the style of armour depicted, would put it bang on to when armets were in common usage, those raised visors look just right for an armet too.

this armet has 2 straps, but I've seen some with only 1, I'm off to the royal armouries in Leeds on Sunday, I'll have a look there, I seem to remember they had a few armets last time I was there e few years back.

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/20.150.1
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Fri 22 Oct, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thats....an awesome...awesome helmet ben, your'e a lucky guy to have her.

I've got to stop talking about peices of steel like there women... Eek!

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Fri 22 Oct, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben van Koert wrote:
I hope this'll work:
http://www.facebook.com/v/1421839622711
This one's a bit rough. In my role I was defending one of the ladies' dog's honour, so that explains the dishonourable blows at 1:30.. Wink

Sorry to derail the topic a bit, but as for defending a dog's honour, is this in a literal sense or is it some sort of saying I am unfamiliar with? Google is little help, though it does bring up a few medieval references. Also, since you say "my role", what exactly was taking place? A play of sorts?

Edit:
And Robert, I wouldn't worry too much about that. My father's old boss was a serious angler, and he let us watch a video of one of his trips once. I've never heard someone talk so much about how beautiful fish are in my life. Armour is prettier than fish by far, in my opinion. Laughing Out Loud

"Tears are for the craven, prayers are for the clown.
Halters for the silly neck that cannot keep a crown.
As my loss is grievous, so my hope is small.
For Iron, Cold Iron, must be master of men all..."
-Cold Iron, Rudyard Kipling
Ben van Koert

PostPosted: Thu 28 Oct, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Colt,

It wasn't a historical reference, I was actually defending the honour of a dog of one of the ladies involved in the tournament. It was an actual tournament, but we spiced it up for the audience by playing a role, with historical basis and we're trying to be as chivalrous as possible. It was all spontaneous improv, so some weird situations did occur.

The point was, one of the competitors had made an insulting remark about this dog and the lady who took care of it for the weekend was 'offended' by this. The dog had been called a pig. When word got out, I couldn't help bu to chastise the other knight for it. Too bad he wasn't experienced with polaxe, so it's a bit sloppy.

Here's a far better fighting video of me and a friend at the same event.
Legal targets in this fight are the armpits, behind the legs and the top of the helmet. It didn't wear the sallet for this fight though, but at the end of the fight I wish I had. I didn't get enough air with the other bevor.
http://www.facebook.com/v/1426359735711

Here's another fight in which i do wear the sallet, same targets:
http://www.facebook.com/v/1465698039144
Blaz Berlec

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 28 Oct, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben, haven't you bought some large pauldrons? I see you're using brigantine spaulders here.

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century
Ben van Koert

PostPosted: Thu 28 Oct, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do have a pair of pauldrons and two pairs of spaudlers. one of this pair is cloth covered like my brigandine and the other pair has besagews. I've found the pauldrons to be a tad restrictive while on foot and in combination with the brig. It also tends to scrape over the brig, and I don't like this unnecessary wear.

When my cuirass will be ready next year, it'll come with another pair of pauldrons. I hope both pairs will be better when used with the cuirass. I'm planning to eventually do more horse related stuff, so that's then they'll really come in handy more.
I prefer mobility over protection. To give some more protection I'm waiting for my 6 mm riveted maille to arrive this december. Hopefully these will fit under my spring steel arms, unlike my 9 mm maille.
Blaz Berlec

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cuirass also by Albert Collins of Via Armorari?

Blush

I'm also in waiting list for a cuirass and arms, but from Ukraine. Happy Since I have at least half a year before my armourer begins working, I'm spending my time researching. Happy

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century
Mark T

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And riveted 6mm mail from where? Surprised
Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Ben van Koert

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Due to budgetary considerations the cuirass and pauldrons will be made by Mark Vickers, but he does a great job too. Last weekend at Tournament of the Phoenix I saw Toby Capwell's new cuirass by Per Lillemund-Jensen and it was absolutely stunning. It's the same cuirass as I had in mind, so I hope mine will not be dissappointing, as Per is just about the best armourer I know.
Fitting sessions are planned at Sterckshof and Tewkesbury next season.

I've ordered the maille from malienkolders.nl, I know and like these guys, so if I'm going to spend money anyway, I prefer to give it to people I like. Happy
Johan Gemvik

PostPosted: Mon 01 Nov, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: My new helmet         Reply with quote

Ben van Koert wrote:

I'm very excited! A few days ago I heard that my new sallet has been finished, after a one and a half year wait. It has been made by Albert Collins of Via Armorari.

Albert really is the best armourmaker I know of an the best I know personally. My brother still uses the #2 helmet Albert ever made about a decade ago, he was pretty good back then and he's come a long way since.

He recently made two sets of armour for the Medieval museum here in Stockholm. Very nice.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new helmet
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: