Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion Price Increase Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next 
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 01 Jul, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Scott S. wrote:
I personally wish Albion would expand their Squire Line for us "sub-$500 guys."

I agree. More Squire stuff would be a good thing for many. Easier said than done of course.

More Maestro and Skirmish Line swords would also be welcome.
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jul, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, here is my mostly unrealistic dream for Albion. I wish they'd offer (for a modest additional fee, of course) a semi-customization option. To an extent, they already do this. Blades and hilt components are shared in several places across the NG lineup (as indeed they were in the past), and they've also started offering different hilt configurations on several weapons. The Lancaster was born when it was discovered that a blade, guard and pommel already in use elsewhere could be combined to make a close copy of an original type XV. It isn't that big a leap from there to being able to ask for a certain pommel or guard for a given blade. Or even ask for an additional inch or two of tang on the blank if you wanted a Crecy with just a little bit more to hang on to, for example. Obviously not every combination would work well, but many would. Most of this was possible when Albion still shipped bare blades to Christian Fletcher, but they haven't done that in a while. Anyway, there are one or two custom projects that I've considered taking to Ollin but really would amount to little more than slapping together a few things that are already lying around on a workbench in New Glarus and calling it a day.

Poor Albion. It must be exasperating to be so loved. Happy

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 01 Jul, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Barris wrote:
Most of this was possible when Albion still shipped bare blades to Christian Fletcher, but they haven't done that in a while.

This isn't what you're discussing, but I wanted to point out that Albion does sell bare blades now to the public:

http://www.albion-swords.com/bareblades.htm

Check it out. There's a lot of great stuff there and at extremely affordable/competitive prices.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jul, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking forward to the XXII for sure...
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jul, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott S. wrote:
I personally wish Albion would expand their Squire Line for us "sub-$500 guys." Seems like they'd have a whole new market opened up to them once there was some real variety. And I really don't think it'd turn off anyone but the most snobbish "I buy stuff because it's expensive and/or exclusive" customers. (I'm assuming of course that it would be profitable to do so, and I'm sure they've considered it, but maybe they just need to hear more requests.)

And yeah, do the aforementioned site upgrade with much better pictures, but also make more use of all that research and add some history about each sword as well! I'd love to read more in-depth info for each sword about the provenance, research, offhand observations and thoughts from Peter etc.

I agree, more Squire Line goodness would be great. Only problem is that after this next price increase, half of them will no longer be "sub-$500." As far as the site upgrade, that would be nice, but not necessary.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Scott S.

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jul, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Blair wrote:
As far as the site upgrade, that would be nice, but not necessary.

It's certainly not necessary for anyone who already knows about Albion, but I fully agree with Jonathon Sarge's post about "enticing the (potential, new) customer." From a marketing standpoint it seems Albion has gotten this far by word-of-mouth alone. They would do well to have a nicer site like oh.... "Arms & Armor" which is a very cool design (Nathan) I particularly like the image-driven product menu, very "cutting edge," no pun intended. And yes, I'm a web developer as well, so ...go figure.

In general, I appreciate the "heads-up" from Mr.Waddell, it's got me seriously considering purchasing my first Albion (Squire Line by necessity) before the increase. No doubt, he's following this thread closely so I'm pleased to have the opportunity to contribute my own 2 cents.

Long Live Albion!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For those wanting more info on the increase, here is what Albion posted on their Facebook page:

Quote:
On average, it will be 10%. Some will go up, some will not - primarily based on the amount of time it takes to make each model and other costs related to each one specifically.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
For those wanting more info on the increase, here is what Albion posted on their Facebook page:

Quote:
On average, it will be 10%. Some will go up, some will not - primarily based on the amount of time it takes to make each model and other costs related to each one specifically.

So the reason is labor costs probably. :-)
John Gnaegy

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A site update will do nothing to inform more people that Albion exists, but advertising will. I don't know the specifics or how much it costs but Google sponsored link ads are omnipresent and probably worth the money.
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Gnaegy wrote:
A site update will do nothing to inform more people that Albion exists, but advertising will. I don't know the specifics or how much it costs but Google sponsored link ads are omnipresent and probably worth the money.

I have worked in online advertising. I doubt that online ads would be money well spent in Albion's case. Such ads work best when you can convert visitors to customers on your website, drawing in people who have already determined to buy something. Probably with a budget in mind. I don't think there are many people who are actively searching to buy a sword, have a high enough budget for an Albion but have never heard of them.

Albion's money would be better spent making their website better so it ranks higher in search engines. Out of curiosity I typed in various search phrases related to swords in Google, but without mentioning the name Albion. Albion's website hardly ever comes up on the first two pages. Only the search phrase "quality swords" brings them up halfway on the front page. With the hundreds of positive reviews they get, they should get a lot of links from other people and much higher ranking in search engines.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is it possible that Albion has already reached it's target customers?

I don't know the answer to this BTW.

I suspect that many will find Albion the way I did.

Go to google, type something like "most accurate medieval sword replicas"

Get link to myArmoury, find out about Albion and VOILA!!
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Gnaegy wrote:
Millions of people spend $800 - $2000 on a computer, which is about the same cost of an Albion. How can they afford that?

They think they need one (and they do), and they only have one at a time. Buy a new machine, use it about four years, get a replacement. The old computer sometimes gets handed down to kids (or parents) but usually gets added to the Archaic Technology Collection in the basement, between the typewriter and two cable modems from previous ISPs.

If you only have one sword, and it's an Albion, that's not an exorbitant cost. On the other hand if you think you need two, well maybe four...nah, six would be enough...that's the problem. But if you only have one at a time, that's more achievable. If you get tired of it, sell it and get another. You won't lose much when selling it because unlike computers, swords don't devaluate over time. You could leave your computer unopened in its box for four years and you'd still be lucky to get 25% back, but a four year old sword in excellent shape, you'll probably get 80-90% back.

You don't need a sword, and you don't technically need a computer. But realistically, everyone reading this needs at least one of each. So just limit yourself to one of each.

That's an argument I also used with my wife when I put my order in. :-) The best part is that it isn't a lie...most used Albions I see on this site sell for a high percentage of what they cost new or better. Also as Albion increases their prices, that sword you bought for $1000 that is now $1100 the next year or $1400 four years later just becomes more valuable and a better investment than if I put the money in a Savings account in a bank. :-)
John Gnaegy

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryce Felperin wrote:
a better investment than if I put the money in a Savings account in a bank. :-)

Indeed, or the market even. What a great hobby that lets you buy things which increase in value, I guess that's true of collecting any rare thing. But unlike most things, swords can't become obsolete or go out of fashion because they already are and have.
Joe Fults

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glad your wife believes that your Albion order is an investment. With rare exceptions I've found production swords to be terrible investments because the supply is effectively unlimited (and unfortunately my wife figured that out). If I was going to invest in swords, I'd want the real deal. Legit period pieces, not reproductions, because the supply of them is constrained. I really think that reproduction swords, while not quite as bad as used cars, are basically in the same league when it comes to holding value. Even Albions, and even with ever increasing prices. Eek!
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll mirror what Mr. Fults says: I've bought and sold several Albions in the classifieds - typically priced between 50%-70% of retail price. I've never even paid close to retail for one; and all have been in brand-new condition. In my eyes, this would be a poor consideration for an actual investment, where it is inferred that they would gain value in time. Sure, they hold a higher percentage of their value when compared to other swords. I'll admit that this could change down the road if Albion were to go out of business and their product became rarer in the speciality collector's market - but for now, they lose a considerable amount of value when you buy them, just like any other consumer product.

My wife could never be convinced an Albion was a sound investment. I tried that excuse on her when I bought my last Harley and it did not work then either. I am better of just telling her I am goning to blow $1000+ on a sword and it's my business what I do with my hobby money. Happy

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jul, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Gnaegy wrote:
Bryce Felperin wrote:
a better investment than if I put the money in a Savings account in a bank. :-)

Indeed, or the market even. What a great hobby that lets you buy things which increase in value, I guess that's true of collecting any rare thing. But unlike most things, swords can't become obsolete or go out of fashion because they already are and have.

The only problem, which I should of mentioned, is that the market for them is a bit more limited than that for securities investments. However, as we who collect really don't do it for the money, any profit gained through a sale is really a side benefit and not an end in itself.
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jul, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
I'll mirror what Mr. Fults says: I've bought and sold several Albions in the classifieds - typically priced between 50%-70% of retail price. I've never even paid close to retail for one; and all have been in brand-new condition. In my eyes, this would be a poor consideration for an actual investment, where it is inferred that they would gain value in time. Sure, they hold a higher percentage of their value when compared to other swords. I'll admit that this could change down the road if Albion were to go out of business and their product became rarer in the speciality collector's market - but for now, they lose a considerable amount of value when you buy them, just like any other consumer product.

My wife could never be convinced an Albion was a sound investment. I tried that excuse on her when I bought my last Harley and it did not work then either. I am better of just telling her I am goning to blow $1000+ on a sword and it's my business what I do with my hobby money. Happy

Yep, my wife didn't totally buy the "investment" line either...so I sweetened it up by giving her some money to buy some $1000+ hair extensions. So now when I buy something for my hobby that's expensive and she complains I can say it "makes me look good just like your hair extensions". Yep, got to be devious when bargaining with one's wife sometimes. ;-)
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

August 2 has been and gone, no update on the website yet. I wonder if the price increase is to be delayed?
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Richard Martell

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
August 2 has been and gone, no update on the website yet. I wonder if the price increase is to be delayed?

Albion Europe increased the prices indeed - "because of the falling €uro".
A likely story!

But I think their website in Europe is too expensive...

Comparison:

US:
http://www.albion-swords.com

European:
http://www.albion-europe.com

Razz Razz Razz

Ich dien.
Neil Langley

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Martell wrote:

Albion Europe increased the prices indeed - "because of the falling €uro".
A likely story!

But I think their website in Europe is too expensive...

Comparison:

US:
http://www.albion-swords.com

European:
http://www.albion-europe.com

Razz Razz Razz

Nope, it's about right.

For example the US price for the Knight is $800. At today's (04/08/10) exchange rates $800 = 605 euro (approx - based on the standard conversion rate for credit cards). Now add the unavoidable 20% VAT (no way to get round paying this unless you get very lucky with customs) and this is 726 euro - almost exactly the 725 euro price on the Albion Europe web site! In fact, a $1500 Munich should be 1360 euro - so the actual price of 1355 is slightly less than if you imported it from the US for yourself.

Therefore buying from Albion Europe will be cheaper if you live in the EU as you will save substantially on delivery. Also, you will not have the hassle of import fees and VAT to pay as Albion Europe has done this for you.

Neil.

Edit to add:

Just looked it up and VAT in Denmark is 25% - so Albion Europe is actually swallowing some of the cost here!!

Neil.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion Price Increase
Page 7 of 8 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: