Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > What do you do with your swords? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 08 Aug, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have cleared out most of the truly expensive stuff so that I could persue other interests. What's left is nice enough but right now is literally sitting in a big pile on top of one of my bookshelves in my office area. WTF?!
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Michele Hansen

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 10 Aug, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: A special reply from Mrs Fletcher--OMG!!         Reply with quote

"Harry J. Fletcher wrote:
I have repeatedly told my husband to sell them and give me the money. Seeing all the needless expense and time wasted daydreaming about swords and new swords by my husband is driving me crazy. It is certainly counterproductive. I think my views apply to the other wives who are long suffering from this nonsense as well.

Regards,

Mrs. Fletcher"

Ladies, Gentlemen,

Please do not assume by Mrs. Fletcher's erm--hijacking--of her husband's account that women do not appreciate the look, lay, and feel of a good blade. I am a more ardent collector of edged weapons than my husband. Due to budgeting requirements, I have limited my higher-end purchases to daggers. Most are el cheapo repros, but I have a lovely 5" poinard made years ago by a smith named "Steelwolf" that is a treasure. I season it with my beeswax, but even then it has some signs of blackening where rust has been removed, but not polished. I also purchased a beautiful, single-edged, 10 cm board knife from Michael (Tinker) Smith (Tiinkerblades). Both of them have gorgeous, and snug sheaths.

Truth to tell? The best dagger I have is a 6 1/2" blade (about 19 cm) that was dirt cheap, with a crappy fake hilt. I reglued the wood pieces after it fell apart, and an SCA bud of mine wrapped it with candle-wicking (he was Navy) to secure the blade. It is the perfect utilitarian dagger for candle-dipping in re-enactments.

Our swords, and sabers are hung over the fireplace, and over our bed. None of them get used, and need cleaning badly. Eek!

Il est apelée de Montfort. Il est el Mond, et si est fort. Si ad grant chevalrie; Je vois et je m’ acort. Il eime le droit, et het le tort. Si avera le mestrie!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > What do you do with your swords?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: