Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass infantry hanger Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 11 Sep, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Windlass infantry hanger         Reply with quote

Does anybody have any experience with or knowledge of the model 1742 English infantry hanger now listed among the "new" items in MRL's online catalog? I've seen this piece in Atlanta Cutlery's catalog, but didn't realize until reviewing Peterson and other references that this weapon was in use LONG before the War of Independence, even well before its modern assigned model date. One of my Osprey Men At Arms books shows a very similar weapon in a ca. 1700 context.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 11 Sep, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's always nice if you can do a bit of legwork and provide a photo or a link to the specific sword being discussed. I'm a bit confused as to which one you're referencing. Is this it?

#1-424 Hanger (top)

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 11 Sep, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry, Nathan. Thanks for adding that photo. I didn't know how to link since all my MRL links dump into the main page.

Yep, that's the sword in question. The catalog copy makes a vague reference to Prussian use, and in fact the mid-century German infantry hangar is almost identical.

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 11 Sep, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are two English or German originals:

http://www.cottoneauctions.com/images/TomWnuc...angers.jpg

Grip materials varied. Cast brass and wire-wrapped wood seem to have been most common. "Model 1742" is a modern misnomer based on the appearence of the weapon in some English military publication of that year. H. Peterson is emphatic that it was in service much earlier, and that is what piques my interest in the weapon.

-Sean

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 23 Sep, 2003 6:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I may be the only one interested in this, but I'll post an update on this replica anyway: The new Atlanta Cutlery catalog shows this hanger in a much higher resolution image that reveals a blade inscription. This appears to match the engraving honoring Frederick the Great on an identical hanger shown in plate E-69 of "Weapons of the American Revolution." So, although this replica is otherwise no different from some versions of the British model 1742, the inscription (and the simple scabbard?) make this a German weapon of approximately the same date. Interestingly, the AC catalog also offers a "Bunker Hill" sword (no image available online) that IS a model 1742 with the urn-shaped pommel variation and brass mounted scabbard. A similar model 1742 may be seen in Peterson's "Arms and Armor of Colonial America."
-Sean

Eugene George

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 Sep, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
I may be the only one interested in this..."

Nah, I'm interested too, but you kinda answered your own question when you mentioned that similar styled swords were in common use before the Seven Years War. I'm interested in it, but I dunno if I'm a hundred bucks interested to find out how good it is....

Britanniam Video!
Galliam Video!
Subligacula Aliquae Video! - Author Unknown

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass infantry hanger
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic