Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Asking for input on production axes for this season. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neil Langley wrote:
Julian Reynolds wrote:
How's about making a boarding axe (as below).

Oh yes, I really want one like this please!

Neil.

Boarding axe would be great.
W. Knight

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Stagmer wrote:
That's fairly simple. I think we were planning on doing one with a steel haft. I dont see we couldnt do one to be mounted on wood. I will get back to you on that.

The above quote (from over a year ago) was about doing a replica of the Sutton Hoo axe/hammer. Just wondering, did BK&S ever do one of these? If so, how did it turn out? If not, any plans to in the future?

Personally, I would like it to be done with the iron haft, as it would be both accurate to the original and I think it would be very interesting to see how that extra weight in the haft (so unlike a traditional axe with all the weight in the head) would translate in both the way it handles and in its effectiveness. I would imagine slightly easier recovery time after a swing than a wood hafted axe (as it would be a little more balanced, perhaps?), but even greater effectiveness, as it would have so much added weight, which, even though it is distributed along the length of the weapon, it is still there; and added weight always translates into a more devastating blow, however it might affect handling.
William P

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Eastern European/Steppe axes         Reply with quote

Matthew Stagmer wrote:
Keith Nelson wrote:
I'd be interested to see some copies made of some of the axes featured in the links on this page...

http://www.redkaganate.org/martial/weapons/

Particularly interested in the long, narrow-bladed, light-weight hungarian/"chekan" style, making a fokos or ciupaga-type weapon...

Nice variety of axes/polearms given here...

Keith

The site wont load for me. I will check from the shop.

Just watched a good show on the History Channel about Vikings and the tools of the trade. I want to get a few of our viking and danish axes out next.

i support the inclusion of daneaxes, like these offered by manning imperial
http://www.manningimperial.com/list.php?start...group_id=1

especially this one titled 'norwegian axe' http://www.manningimperial.com/item.php?item_...mp;c_id=13 note the dramatically upturned horn
its a type of head i think also depicted on the bayeux tapestry.
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 21 Sep, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have not gotten around to doing the Sutton Hoo axe yet. I do plan to make one soon as I have had the designs ready to go for awhile.

I also like that danish axe alot. I will be doing one with a swept up tip like that in the next week and will be sure to take good pictures.

We also have a boarding axe in the works with langets. Should be a nice one!

Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

Matthew Stagmer
Maker of custom and production weaponry
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 21 Sep, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Hey Matthew-

is there a cost-effective way to produce the design elements shown below without having to do casting? I suppose you could etch them but that probably wouldn't look right. Any other ways? It's pretty cool stuff.

(reading the caption, I see that it's a reproduction in itself, made by Dave Swift. You can see it here)

Kerry has been workin on this. He did a few axes by chiseling by hand and they worked well, but a little time consuming. Now he has a set up making the process much more streamlined and still keeping the hand chiseled look.

Pics coming soon...

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 23 Sep, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A good start?

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Lloyd Winter

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 23 Sep, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An excellent start!
Robert Muse

Feedback score: 100%
(2 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 23 Sep, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: sutton hoo axe         Reply with quote

Hi,
Some really great looking designs. If you make the Sutton Hoo Axe with metal haft, I for one will buy it.

Regards
Robert
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I didnt have enough time to update our axe page on the site, but I did upload a teaser pic a few new designs on our facebook.

Look for a whole bunch of new things with this chisel look.

What do you guys think?

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Look really nice, good patterns of decoration and the aged/patinated finish is attractive and makes them much more interesting to look at than a plain surface.
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
William P

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Stagmer wrote:
I have not gotten around to doing the Sutton Hoo axe yet. I do plan to make one soon as I have had the designs ready to go for awhile.

I also like that danish axe alot. I will be doing one with a swept up tip like that in the next week and will be sure to take good pictures.

We also have a boarding axe in the works with langets. Should be a nice one!

Thanks for the input, keep it coming.
im probably not the only one whoes wishing for a wider selection of decent quality daneaxes on the production market though i should point out the manning imperial ones were blunts for reenactment.
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Added a few more axes to the site.

First is a large Bardiche:

Here is a small pole axe with 4 sided back spike and hand chisel work.

A steel hafted version with chisel work

more coming...

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really like the Bardiche but I don't see it's dimensions or weight mentioned on your site ?

Oh, inside diameter of socket would be good to know also. Wink Big Grin Cool

Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Jean. From tip to tip the Bardiche is 20". I have several other patterns in the works. Some even with the pierced holes.

The two standard sizes of sockets we use is 1" Inside diameter and 1.25" Inside diameter. Custom socket sizes are available if needed.

I will update the site with more info on these axes as soon as we get this Ohio Ren Fest order done today.

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 13 Oct, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Stagmer wrote:
Thanks Jean. From tip to tip the Bardiche is 20". I have several other patterns in the works. Some even with the pierced holes.

The two standard sizes of sockets we use is 1" Inside diameter and 1.25" Inside diameter. Custom socket sizes are available if needed.

I will update the site with more info on these axes as soon as we get this Ohio Ren Fest order done today.

At that size the 1.25" inside diameter would probably be more robust and there are locally available ash poles for mounting.

Forgot to ask about weight of the head. Wink

I think you mentioned in an earlier post that with the sharpened versions you do or can heat treat the edges but with a soft body ?

Will these be available from KoA at some time ? I sort of like the " In Stock " business model that Kult of Athena uses.

( Well this is one to keep in mind in a few months when I have recovered from a few expensive pieces ).

Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 13 Oct, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I need to invest in a new digital scale to get weights. I just never think about it as most everything we make is put in a box minutes after it is put together. Now that we are stocking more items here and making more and more customs I will have to remedy that issue ASAP.

I can tell you that the Bardiche is made from 3/16" stock if that helps at all.

Kult of Athena is game to stock just about anything I think will sell well. They have the one trifoil axe now and I was planning on getting a gallowglass at very least over to them. I dont see why we couldnt send a few pole arms as well. I too love dealing with KOA. That is why we chose to work with them.

Most of our smaller axes come with the 1" ID socket and the larger ones we use the 1.25" ID. If ordering from us you can request either for any of the heads. From Kult and other dealers I know that the Bardiche will be 1.25" as standard.

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 13 Oct, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Stagmer wrote:

Most of our smaller axes come with the 1" ID socket and the larger ones we use the 1.25" ID. If ordering from us you can request either for any of the heads. From Kult and other dealers I know that the Bardiche will be 1.25" as standard.

And if the sharp versions are heat treated on the edges, standard, I will certainly and seriously consider buying a Bardiche if it shows up at KoA in the next couple of months ( Would order now but i have to budget myself a bit ).

I check on KoA daily to see what is in stock and Ryan is a great guy to deal with.

Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 13 Oct, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When ordered from us, yes. Sharps come with hard edge and soft body.

I am not sure what version KOA will get. Makes since to send them a pre-sharp, but blunts are in demand as well.

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All the recently posted photos show some amazing products! I'd love a go at making a Bardiche out of that head, and the rest look really sweet.

Just an idea here though, what about also makig a craftsmans line of axes, adzes and similar tools? These are often rougher and simpler made than the fancy but certainly collectible pollaxe heads and such, and would probably appeal to many in the re-eactment and SCA circuits doing their own woodcrafts (like me), at least if they could be kept at a decent price and had full tool function. The Gränsfors historical line as a comparison is great, but a bit pricey at least for the special tools like adzes.

The Mästermyr chest had a very nice looking adze that no one sells today for instance. Shouldn't be all that difficult to make either compared to some of the other much more advanced shape heads shown on this thread.

I mean how are we going to make bowled out shields, or properly shaped pavises or weapon hafts if we don't have the historically accurate woodworking tools to make them? Wink

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Stagmer wrote:
When ordered from us, yes. Sharps come with hard edge and soft body.

I am not sure what version KOA will get. Makes since to send them a pre-sharp, but blunts are in demand as well.

Just sent an e-mail to Ryan at KoA to send him a link to this discussion and suggesting that he might order a sharp version of the Bardiche from you ( one at least ) i.e. just letting him know my interest in getting one.

( Anyway, past this point finalizing a purchase with KoA will go to e-mail, as this might be getting too off-topic ).

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Asking for input on production axes for this season.
Page 3 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: