Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei Saxon, full review with cutting videoProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you have seen any of my DIY project threads, you know I'm always looking for really inexpensive production swords that can be taken apart and made better. And when I learned the Hanwei Saxon Sword had a true pattern-welded core almost identical to the original Gilling West sword and all the dimensions were within DIY range of the original Gilling West sword it became irresitable, especially at the price.

I have taken my Hanwei Saxon Sword apart so I know how it’s put together. The guard is very deeply milled (or more likely cast) to seat the blade. The grip core is wood which has been glued, sandwich style, around the tang.

The “silver” collars (non magnetic… probably nickel plate) are then slipped over the wood core and glued into place. Then the strips of leather are glued between the collars onto the wood core.

Then the pommel was slipped over the tang and over the end of the wood core. The bottom of the pommel is cast with a large round inset with a very snug fit over the end of the wooden grip core. Though not authentic, it certainly acts to hold the grip core together and keep the pommel from turning. This whole assembly is epoxied into place.

Finnally the peen block was screwed onto the threaded end of the tang and also epoxied in place. Then the very end of the tang was peened over the round donut shaped peen block (steel)… As you might imagine, this is a very sturdy configuration. I suspect this hilt will put up with a lot of abuse. It certainly put up with a lot of abuse from me trying to get it apart.

ks

Attachment: 87 KB
BladeCoreGillingWestSword.V.jpg

Attachment: 131.44 KB
HanweiSaxonExploded.jpg

Attachment: 139.84 KB
HanweiSaxon.ScrewTip&Epoxy.jpg

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not sure what the guard and pommel are made of. It appears that they have been cast with all the detail of the “silver” strips and plaques of the original cast onto the surface. Also the guard and pommel are only slightly magnetic, though they seem to have roughly the same density as steel. So they are something heavy, only slightly magnetic and can be cast (stainless?).

Here are the measurements I have taken:

Overall Length: 87cm
Blade Length: 71cm
Max Width: 52mm
Grip Length: 100mm
COG: 17cm
Weight: 3.2 lbs
Thickness: 6.2mm (at forte), 5mm (10cm from the tip) then quick taper to point.
[This explains the weight and Cog]

Hope this new info helps you understand the value of this new offering from Hanwei.

take care

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This topic has turned out to be a source of excellent info and great ideas!
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm very impressed with the design of the blade shoulder transition at an angle + a good radius where the tang narrows.

Don't know if the tang was like this on the original ( Doesn't matter much since one wouldn't see it anyway unless one takes the sword apart ) but structurally I always like good design. Big Grin

A long way from a rat tail tang in a very good way. Wink Cool

Although it might be better if the monosteel was complete and formed the point I wonder if the twisted core's harness and edge holding is pretty much the same as the monosteel edge ? It would depend in part on the heat treatment and carbon content of the twisted core bars ...... 3 possible hardness here with 1) The monosteel 2) Twisted bar (a) 3) Twisted bar (b), assuming that the carbon content is different in the bars used in the twisted pattern steel.

In any case seeing the construction and now being sure that the pattern is " real " and not just faked etching this sword become very appealing at the very modest price. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk,
Great info. It's hard to tell but it almost looks like there's a weld line between where you etched and the tang, as if the pattern-welded part is welded to the tang. Does the pattern welding extend up the tang? If not, any worries about the quality of the weld?

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk, your projects are always outstanding, so I'm eager to see what you come up with here.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Kirk,
Great info. It's hard to tell but it almost looks like there's a weld line between where you etched and the tang, as if the pattern-welded part is welded to the tang. Does the pattern welding extend up the tang? If not, any worries about the quality of the weld?

Hi Chad...

I'm glad to share what I know Big Grin

As for your question, you and Jean are right in that this is one of the most critical parts of a sword in terms of its stability. Stress risers (if thats what they are called) occur in this part of the blade because of the changes from tang to blade. This is why, as Jean said, it is great to see the radius (curve) in the corner where the tang and blade base meet. Sharp corners focus the stress and can lead to failure. Also I am very happy to see a tang that is over 6mm thick as well as good and wide. So when you brought up the possiblity of a weld in this place it concerned me. I took a look more closely and it appeared that the glue used to secure the sandwich grip core squeezed up between the core and guard in this area. If formed a ridge which stopped the puddle of ferric cloride I used to etch the forte. So it really does look like a weld seam. So much so, that I could not be satisfied until I sanded the epoxy away. When I did I found what looked like thin line of tiny voids across the tang in this area that really did look like a weld line … So then I was worried Worried Worried Worried .

I got the sanding disc and put it on my drill press. Then ground all the epoxy off the tang down to bare metal, polished the tang, got out my hot plate and heated the ferric chloride and made a puddle on the tang and left it there for 15 minutes. I am not sure what I was seeing that looked like a weld line, but when I wiped off the dark ferric chloride it was certainly not a weld line. The core of torsion pattern welding goes through the length of the tang Big Grin

However, I will have to modify my theory on how the blades are made. It seems clear to me that the tang has been forged and drawn out. You can see the three billets pulled thinner as they make their way up the tang. Not sure what to think now. (Maybe the same way they just save a few inches of the bar by drawing out the tangs.)

Thanks for the question Happy

ks

Attachment: 146.09 KB
EtchedTangHanweiSaxon.jpg

Attachment: 136.26 KB
EtchedTangHanweiSaxonClose.jpg

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk,

I'm betting you were one of those kids that liked to take all your toys apart to see what's on the inside, just like you did with the Hanwei Saxon. Wink

I understand you are using this blade for a project piece, but I don't think I'd have the guts to rip it apart as you did. The photographs and information you have provided will be invaluable to others considering purchasing this blade.

When the Saxon was first released, I was a little harsh in a particular thread on this forum. It seems to me that the blade and tang are well constructed from your photographs. Thanks to you, I'm a little wiser and probably shouldn't shoot my mouth off until I fully know what I'm talking about. Blush

Regards,

Scott

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Kirk, your projects are always outstanding, so I'm eager to see what you come up with here.

Hey Patrick...

Thanks Big Grin

If all goes as planned, it will look like the Gilling West sword at its prime (or just beyond). The Gilling West sword is significant in that the collars around the grip along with the amzing preservation give a pretty good idea of the complete shape of the sword, and to my eye it has great proportions. I have tried to draw these types of saxon swords, and the proportions are very hard to get right.

I probably will grind about 3/4 of a pound of steel off the blade. I want to give the blade much more distal taper and change it from the convex distal taper it has now to a even taper or maybe concave in the forte and convex near the tip. The fuller will need to be reground and I want a very shallow fuller as I have seen on many Viking swords but rarely in reproductions. This will give the blade more mass. Much of this will be countered in adding a little more profile taper, but not as much as is seen on the Gilling West. It seems to me that the there has been quite a bit of erosion of the edges in the lower portion of the blade on the Gilling West sword as it appears today.

I would like to reshape the guard and pommel to proportions closer to those of the Gilling West. I would like to recarve and clean up the decoration and maybe find a way to silver plate it.

As for the grip, it will be shorted to that of the Gilling West's 83 mm. I also am sensing a slight flattening on the sides of the grip. As for the spacers between the collars, I'm thinking of maybe a light honey colored horn.

We'll see how it goes... and thanks for the interest.

take care

ks

Attachment: 88.89 KB
VIK.GillingWest.HiltProfile.jpg

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Hrouda wrote:
Kirk,

I'm betting you were one of those kids that liked to take all your toys apart to see what's on the inside, just like you did with the Hanwei Saxon. Wink

I understand you are using this blade for a project piece, but I don't think I'd have the guts to rip it apart as you did...

...When the Saxon was first released, I was a little harsh in a particular thread on this forum. It seems to me that the blade and tang are well constructed from your photographs. Thanks to you, I'm a little wiser and probably shouldn't shoot my mouth off until I fully know what I'm talking about. Blush

Regards,

Scott

Hey Scott...

No worries Happy

Yeah my curiosity can get me into trouble. And some might see it as rash tearing apart a $300 dollar sword... But... the Lord willing... it will be better when it gets back together...

Also I have priced out torsion pattern welded cored blades to have them custom made... when you see those prices it is certainly easier to harvest a blade from a production sword. (however in this case, I believe most all of the components that survived can be used).

take care

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Donald L

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow Kirk, this is a wealth of info!

I haven't had the time to do some cautious testing and you go and disassemble the whole weapon! The reactions to the etchant looks good, so I'll have no qualms with redoing mine.

As for the lack of tip wrap of the homogeneous steel: I think it's fine based on two points... The "fake Damascus" (my words) that is commonly used for higher end knife blades often is a steel/nickel mix-or high C and low C steels- and these pieces will have multiple metals layered/mixed going down to the cutting edges. Of course, I guess I'm citing the Hanwei Godfred among thousands of other blades too.

The other thing is that Hanwei also produces something called the "Ming Sword" which is a jian with a fully PW blade. This weapon was what initially made me realize the $$$ gamble on the Saxon might be worth it. I am of the thought that the core of the Saxon is the same formulation as the Ming's totally PW'ed blade. Arguably, at least, the Saxon might benefit from the experimenting/growth pains of producing the Ming sword.

Yeah, the more I examine this weapon, and especially after seeing Kirk's wonderful pictures of it's autopsy, I am of the thought that this is an incredible buy-if only to harvest the blade for another project. Yes, I am also of the opinion to hand distal taper the blade some more, though I don't think I'll do a total scratch-mod like Kirk is... I am much more of a sword user than a remodifier (except of course for all those Windlass buys in my distant past).

Thanks for the autopsy Kirk!
Bruce Tordoff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 08 Nov, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Hanwei Saxon sword         Reply with quote

Hi Kirk,
firstly, echoing others sentiments, thanks for a very informative review.
I am looking for a PW blade for my speculative Vendel 1 project. But I'm in the unfortunate situation of not being able to afford the £1000 and upwards price tag of the usual fare.
So this sounds like a very viable alternative. I suspect that as I will be fitting a flat cross guard assembly that I will be grinding the 'shoulder' of the blade somewhat. I may even go down far enough to get rid of the 'ricasso' area, so the fuller dissappears into the crossguard. I could just extend the fuller up a bit, so as not to lose any blade length.
It is a shame that the monosteel edge does not start 'around' the tip. But If I leave this unetched, I could live with it for that price.
I will be emailing Hanwei, to see if I can get the blade on its own, and hopefully reduce the cost even more.
If I'd just won the lottery, then, hey, I'd be keeping Patrick Barta in business till retirement, but sadly, not the case.
But hey, Make do and mend!
Cheers,
Bruce
J. Kari

PostPosted: Mon 08 Nov, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Hanwei Saxon sword         Reply with quote

Bruce Tordoff wrote:

I will be emailing Hanwei, to see if I can get the blade on its own, and hopefully reduce the cost even more.
Bruce

I Already did it some 2 weeks ago or so, but no response so far.
Have sent 2 e-mails.

IF you do get a reply about buying separate blade only, please let us know in this thread or via PM.

Regards,
Juhan
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 08 Nov, 2010 3:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A lot of posts since I last posted here. I'm very glad to see all these experiments, because the results of mine were somewhat worrying, but only because it was definite. I went to a my local smith and we dipped the final maybe 2" of the blade in the acid and the pattern appeared, but I wasn't completely satisfied because I realized the patterning is to the tip and wider than the fuller near the tip so I thought the whole blade is pattern welded without monosteel edges welded. Now when I saw this pictures I realized the patterned core is wider than the fuller at the tip, but not wider than the fuller at the base, so that means that there are monosteel edges welded on, just the patterned core doesn't taper with the fuller... All in all, this is all very satisfying and I now feel that this blade IS worth enough for a complete customizing, but unlike Kirk, I want be customizing it along the Gilling sword lines, but in a completely new style, probably early 9th century B or H hilt. I will also sooner or later buy a bare blade, if that will be possible, for a vendel style ringhilt sword.
Bruce Tordoff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 08 Nov, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka,
Yes, the more info that has been posted on this thread, the more attractive a proposition this sword is.
Glad to hear you also have plans for a Vendel ringsword. Would be nice to compare projects in the future.
What I like about this sword is the blade seems to be a decent size. It looks about right for my project.
Cheers,
Bruce
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Hanwei Saxon, full review with cutting video         Reply with quote

That sword had an impressive blade. I really appreciate it. Wink
“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
David Clark

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Arise Chicken, ARISE!

I was just wondering about two things:
How did Kirk's sword remodel go? and did anyone ever hear from Hanwei as to whether is offering the blade by itself?
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's difficult to know anything about what Hanwei can offer now because they had that fire in their factory in China so I think at the moment they don't produce anything. And who knows when will they start producing and what will than happen with their offerings... Anyway, I'm still very satisfied with my Saxon, I got the custom hilt for it, brass inlayed type H hilt, historical 2 piece construction. You can see it on the first page of this thread:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...mp;start=0
And yes, if I could get another Saxon for a lower price, or just a blade, I would buy it for another custom project, probably Vendel type hilt...
William P

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hmm this sword is in my local sword shop and im liking the look of it more and more,
doesnt seem unreasonable that you could take the various bits and put together a beter sword like what bruce suggested,

looking at the patrick barta sword it seems like you could just put a new wooden grip on it and reshape the wood as needed. otherwise the saxon sword seems pretty darn good.
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jun, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Clark wrote:
Arise Chicken, ARISE!

I was just wondering about two things:
How did Kirk's sword remodel go? and did anyone ever hear from Hanwei as to whether is offering the blade by itself?

Hi David...

I have been extremly busy and have not had time to work on this project. Plus I'm not sure exactly what I want to do with it. And I've learned (the hard way) not to start a project until I'm sure what I want. The fittings of the Hanwei sword are non-magnetic. So they are not steel... maybe some kind of alloy. Plus I a have a kind of love/hate relationship with this style saxon sword... sometime I think its beautiful and other times not. So at present my plans for the blade is to use it in a reconstruction of the River Scheldt sword I have. (Attached pics of the MRL version I have and the original)

I have also had thoughts of using it in a sandwich guard Migration Era sword... So as you can see I'm in limbo....

take care

ks

Attachment: 94.93 KB
MRL.--RiverSchelt-Sword..jpg

Attachment: 68.49 KB
VIK.L.Belgium.ScheldtR.OAK.jpg

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei Saxon, full review with cutting videoProduct Review
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: