Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Contest -- Name That Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Vince Labolito

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 20 Oct, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Big Grin

Albion gave out more than $2000.00 in gift certificates.

Weren't there only 14 swords? Where did the other gift certificates come from?

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
- Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 20 Oct, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vince Labolito wrote:

Weren't there only 14 swords? Where did the other gift certificates come from?

My Honorable Mention came with a $25.00 gift credit. 27 Honorable Mentions = $675.00
Vince Labolito

PostPosted: Wed 20 Oct, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's odd, I got an email from Mr. Waddell about having the winning name on the Venetian, but I never heard anything about a $25 credit for my honourable mention. Was that in the email that was sent you or did you hear about it somewhere else?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 20 Oct, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got an email for the honorable mention, mentioning the $25.00 gift credit. I doubt that they wanted to give one only to me. Give Albion an email or a phone call.
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok this has been gnawing on me. My emphasis in Medieval Studies is on "der Deutsche Orden" or in English, "The Teutonic Knights." I keep reading about the new Hospitaller sword and the reasoning behind it: "I mean you guys need swords representing BOTH of the great millitary orders involved in the Crusades and this sword seems to be a very appropriate choice to balance with the Templar. I do not believe that your line will be complete if both orders are not represented."

Now don't get me wrong, I think the Hospitaller is a great name for the sword. But the line still isn't complete! You're forgetting the Teutonic Knights. They weren't as big in the Holy Land as the other 2 orders but they completely ran the Northern Crusades against the pagans in the Baltic, they fought the Cumans in Transylvania, and of all the orders, they were the most successful. They established themselves as the rulers of Prussia for over two hundred years. So folks at Albion, you guys need to make another type Xa and name it the Teuton at some point in the future.
Eric Spitler

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have all the winners been notified? I haven't gotten an email yet, though my name's on the website. I hope they didn't change their mind!
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alina Boyden wrote:
Ok this has been gnawing on me. My emphasis in Medieval Studies is on "der Deutsche Orden" or in English, "The Teutonic Knights." I keep reading about the new Hospitaller sword and the reasoning behind it: "I mean you guys need swords representing BOTH of the great millitary orders involved in the Crusades and this sword seems to be a very appropriate choice to balance with the Templar. I do not believe that your line will be complete if both orders are not represented."

Now don't get me wrong, I think the Hospitaller is a great name for the sword. But the line still isn't complete! You're forgetting the Teutonic Knights. They weren't as big in the Holy Land as the other 2 orders but they completely ran the Northern Crusades against the pagans in the Baltic, they fought the Cumans in Transylvania, and of all the orders, they were the most successful. They established themselves as the rulers of Prussia for over two hundred years. So folks at Albion, you guys need to make another type Xa and name it the Teuton at some point in the future.

...reading my mind, eh?
You now there are till a few good designs that needs to be entered in the line Wink Happy
Vince Labolito

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Spitler wrote:
Have all the winners been notified? I haven't gotten an email yet, though my name's on the website. I hope they didn't change their mind!

I wouldn't worry about it. I never got an email regarding my honorable mention gift certificate, but since it's on the website I'm considering it as good as in hand.

-v

Jeremy V. Krause

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Alina and Peter,
Yes, the Teuton would be an excellent addtion to my Hospitaller along with the Templar.
What's really cool for me is that the Knights Hospitaller or the Knights of St. John as they were also called STILL exist, well they aren't knights anymore now they are religious priests and brothers but they trace their lineage back to the Hospitallers. This order was never suppressed. Now I dont know of what became of the Teutonics. Jeremy
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Hello Alina and Peter,
Yes, the Teuton would be an excellent addtion to my Hospitaller along with the Templar.
What's really cool for me is that the Knights Hospitaller or the Knights of St. John as they were also called STILL exist, well they aren't knights anymore now they are religious priests and brothers but they trace their lineage back to the Hospitallers. This order was never suppressed. Now I dont know of what became of the Teutonics. Jeremy

Well, I don't think anyone would get too upset if you bought a Ritter and renamed it "The Teuton". Wink

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V Krause wrote:
Quote:
...well they aren't knights anymore now they are religious priests and brothers...

Actually they were always "priests and brothers"-- they were simply a military order. These days there's a shortage of knights (excepting pop stars and actors) so... Happy

Yours,

David
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Hello Alina and Peter,

The Hospitallers are know the Knights of Malta. The Teutonic Knights still exist. The order now has honorary knights but is mostly a charitable and religious organization. (Not that it didn't do those things before.)
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

...reading my mind, eh?
You now there are till a few good designs that needs to be entered in the line Wink Happy

Nah, I'd have to be alot smarter to read YOUR mind - especially where swords are concerned. However, if you want to make me a type Xa with a brazil nut pommel and a nice guard to balance it all out I certainly won't complain. If you want to mail me the prototype for "testing" that'd be great too. Wink
Brian M

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A history of the "Modern" Teutonic Knights.
--The Medieval Crusading Order essentially ended in 1525 with the conversion of Grand Master Albrecht von Brandenberg to Lutheranism. After this the Order's last real military effort was to raise 1000 troops to defend Austria against the Turks.
--The French Revolution and its aftermath resulted in the loss of all properties in Belgium and those west of the Rhine in 1797.
--In 1809 Napolean dissolved all Order properties in conquered territories, leaving only properties within Austria.
--The Order continued to exist secretly in Austria until 1839, when Austrian Emperor Ferdinand I reconstituted "The Order of the Teutonic Knights" to provide care for wounded soldiers.
--In 1866, the "Honorable Knights of the Teutonic Order" was created to provide funding for hospitals. In 1871 a womens' order was also created.
--In WWI, the Order provided care for wounded (Austrian?) soldiers.
--The Nazi Party dissolved the Teutonic Order upon accessing Austria in 1938, and in Czechoslovakia in 1939.
--In WWII the Nazis appropriated the imagery and history of the Order for their own propaganda ends. Most people's image of the Teutonic Knight is probably due to the Nazi propaganda film "Tannenberg." The Order also figured prominently in the Soviet propaganda film "Alexander Nevsky."
--After the war the Order reconsituted itself and properties in Austria were returned. The HQ is now in Vienna, Austria and is supported mostly from Germany, Austria, Italy, Belgium, and North and Central America.

Just a little off-topic web reading,
Brian M
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
A history of the "Modern" Teutonic Knights.
--The Medieval Crusading Order essentially ended in 1525 with the conversion of Grand Master Albrecht von Brandenberg to Lutheranism. After this the Order's last real military effort was to raise 1000 troops to defend Austria against the Turks.
--The French Revolution and its aftermath resulted in the loss of all properties in Belgium and those west of the Rhine in 1797.
--In 1809 Napolean dissolved all Order properties in conquered territories, leaving only properties within Austria.
--The Order continued to exist secretly in Austria until 1839, when Austrian Emperor Ferdinand I reconstituted "The Order of the Teutonic Knights" to provide care for wounded soldiers.
--In 1866, the "Honorable Knights of the Teutonic Order" was created to provide funding for hospitals. In 1871 a womens' order was also created.
--In WWI, the Order provided care for wounded (Austrian?) soldiers.
--The Nazi Party dissolved the Teutonic Order upon accessing Austria in 1938, and in Czechoslovakia in 1939.
--In WWII the Nazis appropriated the imagery and history of the Order for their own propaganda ends. Most people's image of the Teutonic Knight is probably due to the Nazi propaganda film "Tannenberg." The Order also figured prominently in the Soviet propaganda film "Alexander Nevsky."
--After the war the Order reconsituted itself and properties in Austria were returned. The HQ is now in Vienna, Austria and is supported mostly from Germany, Austria, Italy, Belgium, and North and Central America.

Just a little off-topic web reading,
Brian M

Good info but you forgot the protestant Dutch wing of the Teutonic Order which still exists today and has apparently retained some of its military identity. Of course their webpage hasn't been operable the past few months I've checked but you never know.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 25 Oct, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Hello Alina and Peter,

Well, I don't think anyone would get too upset if you bought a Ritter and renamed it "The Teuton". Wink

I think that is a splendid idea. We were contemplating calling the Ritter just that: the Teuton. Finally the name Ritter won by a small margin.
If you are interested in a type of sword that could have been used by these wariors, the Ritter is a very good chioce. It is one of the sleepers in the line.
It is much more agile and responsive than you might think from seeing the photos and reading the stats...
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Mon 25 Oct, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
]

I think that is a splendid idea. We were contemplating calling the Ritter just that: the Teuton. Finally the name Ritter won by a small margin.
If you are interested in a type of sword that could have been used by these wariors, the Ritter is a very good chioce. It is one of the sleepers in the line.
It is much more agile and responsive than you might think from seeing the photos and reading the stats...

Well that's certainly true. But there is one huge problem with that idea: It doesn't require you to make an entirely new sword for us to oggle!
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 25 Oct, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alina Boyden wrote:
Peter Johnsson wrote:
Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
]

Well that's certainly true. But there is one huge problem with that idea: It doesn't require you to make an entirely new sword for us to oggle!

Well there is that, of course...Happy
You know, if all of the proposed designs I´ve developed for Albion to this date would be put into production there would be at least some 50 different models in production right now....
A nightmare situation?!?!?
I know what Eric, Jason & Co would say... Eek! ... Wink Big Grin
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Mon 25 Oct, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
Alina Boyden wrote:
Peter Johnsson wrote:
Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
]

Well there is that, of course...Happy
You know, if all of the proposed designs I´ve developed for Albion to this date would be put into production there would be at least some 50 different models in production right now....
A nightmare situation?!?!?
I know what Eric, Jason & Co would say... Eek! ... Wink Big Grin

Well if you feel that they aren't producing enough sword types you can always custom build a ton of rare sword types and give them away as myArmoury.com contests. Or sell them for thousands of dollars, but I didn't think that would be as tempting.
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't have a copy of Records, but I did find the "Spotlight on the Type X" article, which includes a picture of Xa.1. Nice looking sword. Combine the Templar blade with Knight-style fittings and you'd have a very close approximation. Although it does appear that the Xa.1 blade swells at the base and then continues to a thinner tip than the Templar, so the details would be different.

Brian M

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Contest -- Name That Sword
Page 5 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: