Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Towton Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 20 Aug, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Windlass Towton         Reply with quote

Everybody seems to want to know about this replica, but I can't find anybody who actually owns one or has at least handled and inspected one. Anybody? What's the scoop? If nobody's buying this item perhaps it'll soon be discounted....

Attachment: 30.15 KB
sword.gif

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 20 Aug, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Windlass Towton         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Everybody seems to want to know about this replica, but I can't find anybody who actually owns one or has at least handled and inspected one. Anybody? What's the scoop? If nobody's buying this item perhaps it'll soon be discounted....

I'm one of those guys who's interested in this piece. I like the style of weapon it replicates. I can't wait to hear your report once you purchase yours. (grin)

Don't think for a moment that we, the 'net sword enthusiast community, make a dent in the customer base of MRL/Windlass. Just because you don't hear it discussed on the forums doesn't necessarily mean it's not a good seller to their audience.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 20 Aug, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sure, but hasn't some forum junkie tried one of these??? (sound of crickets) Maybe I will get one of these this year....just to help out my fellow forumites, you know. Big Grin
-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 20 Aug, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's funny, because I've been wondering about this piece a lot lately myself. I decided to take a risk on their schiovana instead... which as I said in my review, was a little disappointing. That's why I haven't gone out on a limb for this piece... but who knows...
Andrew Fox

PostPosted: Fri 20 Aug, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just got one as a trade for some design work I did for a sword collector friend of mine. Overall it's a very nice sword, even my friend commented on it and his tastes run more toward the custom A&A pieces he's been commissioning lately.

The fittings are nice and tight, and the components are clean and well executed. There's some typical Windlass waviness in the blade surface, but it's not too bad. I'll try to post some more info and pics when I get a chance. Happy
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 20 Aug, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I always notice that sword when the MRL catalog comes around. If I was going to buy a sword from them, it would probably be that one.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 20 Aug, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aparently this sword owns about the same place on everyones list.

Interesting but...

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Sat 21 Aug, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Windlass Towton         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:

Sorry for the late response, I haven't been on this list for a few days.

A couple guys at AEMMA bought this item from the local Windlass dealer last summer. They love the Towton for solo drilling posta to posta. IIRC, one of them has been sharpened for our next test cutting session. If it performs acceptably, I'll post a link to our video section so you can get an idea of our reaction to it.

I must say, of all the longsword / greatsword offerings from Windlass, this is the only one that interests me. The rest of them are just wall hangers, IMO. But then I don't collect swords so my opinion is somewhat suspect anyway. Razz

Cheers!
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 23 Aug, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got to handle the Windlass German Hand and a Half, and was impressed with fit and finish. The blade was more flexible than I expected, but at that point I wrongly expected all blades to be stiff. Anyway, that piece sorely tempted me to add a longsword to my collection.
-Sean

Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

888knivesrus has the Towton now. The pictures are quite flattering for a Windlass product.

http://www.888knivesrus.com/product/WS500070

How can there be a perfect sword when PEOPLE come in all shapes and sizes too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Under two hundred bucks? Oh, I think I may be caving in on this one...
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't forget to ask them to check the product before you ship it. I'd bet a lot of quality control complaints about 888Knives would disappear if people actually requested it the way they have it set up in checkout. I've ordered several products from them, very fast shipping and very good quality control.
How can there be a perfect sword when PEOPLE come in all shapes and sizes too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The specifications state that the Towton weighs only two pounds twelve ounces, even with a 36 inch blade. If this is accurate, it's lighter that the Albion Sempach and Landgraf even though the blades are the same length. I am curious enough about it that I have now ordered one. For less than $200 delivered, it's a reasonable risk. Might be a real bargain.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:
The specifications state that the Towton weighs only two pounds twelve ounces, even with a 36 inch blade. If this is accurate, it's lighter that the Albion Sempach and Landgraf even though the blades are the same length. I am curious enough about it that I have now ordered one. For less than $200 delivered, it's a reasonable risk. Might be a real bargain.

I'd expect it to weigh less than the Sempach and Landgraf. It looks like a Type XVI, while the Sempach and Landgraf are XVII's. A XVII blade will probably be thicker than a XVI. The purpose is different: XVI's are for cutting and thrusting, XVII's are for thrusting (and some cutting).

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve,

We'll look forward to hearing how the purchase goes, how the prodcut turns out, and I'm sure we'd love some photos if you have time for some.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

I'd expect it to weigh less than the Sempach and Landgraf. It looks like a Type XVI, while the Sempach and Landgraf are XVII's. A XVII blade will probably be thicker than a XVI. The purpose is different: XVI's are for cutting and thrusting, XVII's are for thrusting (and some cutting).

If Albion made the Towton, I would expect it to be lighter than the Landgraf and Sempach, but I'm a bit surprised that Windlass would also meet the expected weight. Usually less expensive swords are a good 30% or more heavier than they should be.

I own one other Windlass sword that I bought at a ridiculously low sale price (the so-called "Castillion"), and I was not tremendously impressed by the workmanship on it, though it met my expectations for the price. If the Towton is reasonably tight and even half as clean as the pictures, I will consider my money well spent. I will post pictures of any noteworthy aspects of the Towton.
Tom Carr

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As I recall, Mario Perez from SFI got a chance to try the Towton out when he was doing some of the sword fight coordinating for the History Channels, Conquest series. I seem to recall, he said it was one of the better swords they had on hand to work with. He said it was fairly well balanced and the guard and grip stayed tight. Not perfect ,but a grade above some of the others they worked with.
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Towton I ordered Saturday afternoon arrived today via UPS. It was extremely well packed and padded. So high marks go to 888KnivesRus for speed and care of delivery.

My first impression is very good. The pommel and cross appear to be flawless, with satin steel finish. The black leather grip is carefully stitched on one side, more carefully than my other Windlass. All components are tight. The pommel nut looks a bit conspicuous, but not entirely out of place on this sword.

Windlass blades have a clear plastic (polyurethane?) preservative overcoat that is readily removed with steel wool. This may be the source of the comments about waviness in Windlass blade surfaces. A quick brush with steel wool removes the Windlass marking on the blade and reveals a blade surface that matches the pommel and crossbar. I will clean it up tonight and see how good it looks without the clear coat. If it turns out to be as well executed as my other Windlass, it will look quite a bit better when I've finished stripping it. The edge is inconspicuously blunt, and looks like it should be no trouble to sharpen.

The scabbard for this sword is a better fit than other Windlass products I have handled. The mouth of the scabbard firmly grips the base of the blade, and only the tip is audibly loose inside the outer shell. The scabbard is a good match in appearance for the sword, with similar finish to the metal parts and identical leather.

I don't have my Albions here at home to compare apparent weight and balance, but my guess is that the Towton handles much like the Crecy Mark 1, which is about the same dimensions but quite a bit heavier - 2 pounds 12 ounces versus 3 pounds 5 ounces. Once I have a chance to hold them together I will confirm or revise this impression.

For less than $200 delivered, with no delays, this one looks to be a bargain.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats Steve upon the arrival of the Towton. Keep us up to date with the changes/home improvements.

Cheers,
Bill
aka William
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Removal of the clear coat on the blade does not cure all of the waviness, but it is only apparent when you look down the blade like a gun barrel. If this blade had been made completely smooth it would look too shiny for my taste, too much like stainless steel.

My other Windlass is a representation of a Type XV, and has a very thin, overly flexible blade with no noticeable distal taper. The Towton's blade is quite substantial, with comparatively slight but noticeable distal taper. The fuller is well executed and symmetrical on both sides of the blade.

I doubt the Towton would qualify as a true Type XVII, since it is not overly stiff near the point. It does have a real point, and is clearly a functional thrusting sword even though there is no edge.

The pictures on the 888KnivesRus webpage are reasonably accurate, so I don't plan to post any personal pics. I suspect those pictures may even be of this specific sword.

This sword will never be mistaken for an Albion, but I am not exaggerating to say that it is at least as good a representation of its type as any of my Del Tins. For the price, I have not seen anything else that is as presentable as the Towton.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Towton
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: