Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Mercy Killing and the Dehumanization Effects of the Helm. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Stephane Rabier

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,
yes, just see that nowadays killing a rabbit, a goat or even a chicken is a part of the commando survival training for the Special Forces and the young guys seem very stressed whan they have to break the bunny's neck. A few years ago any country boy could do that with no special feeling. In some countries it's still true.
Larry Bohnham

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that killing in battle from say post Charlemagne to circa 1300 was more of an individual act perpetrated against other individuals. The Viking sagas for instance usually speak of one or maybe a few warriors fighting and killing one or a few others even in a pitched battle. Most medieval armies were a barely controlled mob compared to a Roman legion or European armies post Fredrick the Great and as such rallying around a dynamic leader was very important to the cohesion of the fighting force and its battle effectiveness.

Where there seems to be shift in this is basically during the Hundred Years War when the use of disciplined ranks of skilled commoners, ie longbow men, began to turn warfare back into more of a science and organized, goal directed activity and less a quest for individual glory and enrichment. To be sure those things were still very prevalent on the Medieval battlefield.

Back to the main topic. I think most Medieval warriors were highly desensitized to death and violence due to disease, accidents, crime, tourneys and warfare, so they probably didn't go through a lot of introspection about their vocation.

I think the best current analogy for what life was probably like for a lot of people in that age can be found in what is happening right now in northern Mexico. The central government is basically a weak joke and can only bring authority to bear in limited places for limited amounts of time. The day to day operation of the society is controlled by various factions of hyper-violent sociopathic men who enforce loyalty to themselves through dispensing rewards to their followers and using extreme violence toward anyone who opposes them and to enrich themselves. The common folk are left to fend for themselves and run a daily gauntlet of terror and mayhem just to survive. There is no real rule of law and if you want to get anything done you have to petition the warlords who have the weapons and man power to help you, for a price of course. All in all the middle ages could be a very scary place to have lived, and I don't think those of us who live in reasonably functional, affluent western countries can ever really know what it was like.

I don't want to launch this thread on the maladies of the modern world, the preceding was just a comparative analysis.

"No athlete can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows; he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack under the fist of his adversary..."
Roger of Hoveden, d.1201

a furore Normannorum libera nos Domine

"Henry, get down off that horse with that sword, you'll put someone's eye out!" Mrs. Bolingbroke's advice to her son, Henry, on the eve of the battle of Agincourt
Ben P.

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Larry Bohnham wrote:
I think that killing in battle from say post Charlemagne to circa 1300 was more of an individual act perpetrated against other individuals. The Viking sagas for instance usually speak of one or maybe a few warriors fighting and killing one or a few others even in a pitched battle. Most medieval armies were a barely controlled mob compared to a Roman legion or European armies post Fredrick the Great and as such rallying around a dynamic leader was very important to the cohesion of the fighting force and its battle effectiveness.

Where there seems to be shift in this is basically during the Hundred Years War when the use of disciplined ranks of skilled commoners, ie longbow men, began to turn warfare back into more of a science and organized, goal directed activity and less a quest for individual glory and enrichment. To be sure those things were still very prevalent on the Medieval battlefield.

Not necessarily, there are plenty of instances were medieval soldiers fought with great disipline and mainted tight formations. I agree that there are plenty of instances were soldiers broke ranks but like any era those are the exception rather than rule. As for the Legions Peter Lendon suggests that the may have fought more like a Zulu swarm than the robotic machine they're commonly percieved to be. And Medieval Heavy Cavalry fought as disiplined heavy infantry as often as they fought on horseback. And the Vikings also fought in very disiplined Shieldwalls.

As for killing rabbits and chickens it's not the same as killing a human. I have no problem with killing an animal but I and several other country boys I know would be extremely bothered by killing a person.
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When it comes to the viking saga, there is a quite noticeable difference between the icelandic sagas, which tend to be more heroic, and the later Norwegian ones, which rarely describe combat in detail at all.
This would be a natural consequence of the blood feud/primitive warfare nature of conflicts on iceland, versus the more organized formation doctrine used in Norway.

OT: But Ben, you're an Exarch! You live and breathe death!

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Ben P.

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hahaha! Big Grin

I didn't know you were a 40K fan. Which army? (Loosens power sword in case you give the wrong answer)
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's interesting to see the 'killing an animal' example.
I've killed perhaps two wallabies in my time, one was a swift shot under the armpit mid-bounce and into the heart (So at a distance and because it was reletivly painless for both parties), but our father still insisted we 'finish' what we started and so I shot it in the head at very close range, which was far more troubling than from further away. The second time doesn't bare thinking about, lest to say it was aweful, but did teach me the value of life, and if needing to take it (we did eat the said wallibies) making it as quick as possible.
Since this is my only experiance in taking the life of a mammal, I can only summrise that whilst, as pointed out, it is nothing like a human being, I can only imagine that in the moment it would be a similar feeling to an opponet. Almost a berudging duty.
With regards to fighting in groups, a friend of mine once stated that fighting in a group has a (and forgive this) "Combat Multiplyer" effect, that is to say that it offers a +1 to ones ability to attack (dysentry is a -2), as one feels more confident in a group.
I'm surprised that philosophy hasn't cropped up yet.

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Larry Bohnham

PostPosted: Tue 11 Jan, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I didn't mean to say that medieval armies couldn't or didn't fight in a disciplined manner, they certainly did at times. One example that comes to mind is Richard I's use of infantry at Acre, and there are many other examples. What I was, imprecisely it seems, driving at was the warrior's motivation in combat.

Most medieval armies prior to the 14th century (exceptions are to be found) were composed of feudal levies and their liege lords and nobles, ignoring the mercenaries for the moment. The levies fought because they were required to (drafted/impressed into service) while the nobles were there both to fulfill their obligations and to enlarge themselves financially and make a name for themselves. Heralds recorded their doings so they and their peers would know what they did on the field. These forces did not have the strict chain of command and control that are employed in modern industrialized armies. For example, the accounts of the pushing, shoving and bickering that went on in the French ranks at the opening of the battle of Agnicourt, although that was 15th cent I know.

Where I was going was that I believe that fighting was more based on each individual's motivation to be in combat rather than the group think of the modern army. Frankly many medieval battles were decided when the main leader of an army was killed and his forces then lost heart and fled the field since there wasn't any other motivation to stay and risk their necks. Although this also varied considerably from period to period and culturally. The Norse and Germanic armies often died to the man defending the body of their fallen chieftain.

I just think there is a discernible shift in how European armies fought starting in the mid-1300's; away from the search for personal glory and enrichment toward achievement of the group's goal of winning the battle.

Also, I wanted to point out that the medieval warrior was rewarded by his culture for fighting. Prowess in battle was not only encouraged it was expected and men were highly honored for engaging in, and winning, in combat be it individual such at the tilt or in group battle. There was little if any or the modern western idea of pacifism or trying to find a non-violent, consensus based solution to conflict. Men often fought to avoid being disgraced and thought cowardly as well as fighting to increase their fame and financial worth. It was a very different world from our own. Add to that the Germanic tradition of the blood feud to obtain justice in the absence of a reliable tort and criminal judicial system and one finds that violence was not only much more acceptable then but also expected. So given that cultural outlook I think it is very plausible to assume that many if not most wariors of that age had very little personal restraint in killing other people.

The feeling of anonymity provided by a face covering helmet only added to a man of that time's inclination to kill.

Besides, I think many of them found it enjoyable to hurt and kill given the culture's requirement for men to prove their superiority over other men. It dosen't take much to remove the veneer of civilization from a person and have them fall back on their basic genetic programming and act like animals, you see it all the time in the news all around the modern world.

"No athlete can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows; he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack under the fist of his adversary..."
Roger of Hoveden, d.1201

a furore Normannorum libera nos Domine

"Henry, get down off that horse with that sword, you'll put someone's eye out!" Mrs. Bolingbroke's advice to her son, Henry, on the eve of the battle of Agincourt
Johan Gemvik

PostPosted: Tue 11 Jan, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mercy Killing and the Dehumanization Effects of the Helm         Reply with quote

Sam Gordon Campbell wrote:
I've recently watched a show (on YouTube) about how the biological response to War is that 95%-98% of men (front line soldiers etc.) are not willing to genuinely kill (yet will still stand their ground and do other things to support the 1%-2% who do) and it made me think.
One of the ways that they make it more palatable to dispatch someone is that during training (or so the show said) they "de-huminise" the "enemy" and thus make the soldier capable of killing without "thinking" too much (that is not to say that thinking is bad, but rather that their body reacts more efficiantly to the stress of the situation).
Ergo, when they take of a great helm or lifts or removes their visor, perhaps not only are they doing so because it grants access to fresh air, extra line of sight and clearer sound, and indeed the intial threat of arrows and lances having passed (this theory is assuming a close melee), perhaps also it allows the recognition of humanity rather then a faceless creature or iron or a steel automaton.
Put more simply, the sacrifice of physical protection is compensated for by the fact that the victor will spare their fallen opponet as they feel empathy.
So, what do you think?

Edit: And here is the source http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vlGR7S2wcI

YES.

It could also be meant as an invitation to a more personal battlefield duel between English and French nobles who would often know each other, sometimes quite well. "Yes it's me you face, let's settle this man to man."

If you read the vivid description of the Battle of Marathon in Tom Hollands book Persian Fire he describes quite well what it would be like to face fully armored hoplites that would look like an army of bronze automations coming at you.
The idea of the metal clad automation being dehumanizing works both ways, it's scary to face and would most likely trigger a stronger fight or flight impulse, it could doubtless give a huge psychological advantage to the inhuman looking, but this would also work the other way as you say, that the opponent won't have the same mental blocks against hacking away at said beastly automation.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge

Last edited by Johan Gemvik on Thu 13 Jan, 2011 9:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Johan Gemvik

PostPosted: Tue 11 Jan, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben P. wrote:
Hahaha! Big Grin

I didn't know you were a 40K fan. Which army? (Loosens power sword in case you give the wrong answer)

Old School Tyranids FTW!

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Ben P.

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jan, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

(You guys get all the cool artwork *Sniff*)

If I may, I was talking to my Dad about this very subject.

He worked in a Slaughterhouse at one point in his life. And while it's nothing like killing a person it does desensitize to you to the smell and the gore. He said he went through tons of livestock and after a while it just becomes mattter of fact.

So, I would imagine that medieval trainers would have their students hack down some livestock (Hey, it saves the Castle staff the trouble of killing said animal for the feast)
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jan, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
Now I guess the military could use such conditioning but I'd would assume not, though I admit I personally was not in the military I have a large amount of former military friends and family that are pretty close and never got the impression they felt this way.

The U.S. military has used extensive conditioning at least since the Vietnam era. From what I've heard and read, recruits get mentally broken down and rebuilt for obedience. Willing to kill supposedly increased because of this. I have no doubts have the training, but the various figures come under much dispute. Some accounts from WWII have soldiers reluctant to fire while others have them firing too much. More importantly, there's no reason modern attitude necessarily apply to medieval warriors. Yuval N. Harari makes a compelling case that the Renaissance soldiers held profoundly different ideas about self and the meaning of life compared with post-Enlightenment thought. While memoirs from WWI express disillusionment with the horror of warfare, sixteenth-century memoirs do not. Honor was paramount; war only received criticism to the extent that sullied reputation. While I'm sure plenty of Renaissance and medieval folks felt compunctions against killing, the level of slaughter in and after various battles suggests hardened military men did not hold back.
Johan Gemvik

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jan, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think most would agree that medieval people must have been much more accustomed to acts of up close violence and killing. Public executions and judicial mutilations, cities under siege, prosecution and mass murder of religious minorities were fairly common after all.

Today we'd call many of the same hardened military men "mentally war damaged" in need of psychological support and therapy, or they could become like many Vietnam veterans no longer coping with normal peacetime society. I believe the US military have programs in place specifically for this purpose. Some soldiers today we'd even call war criminals for doing what came naturally to medieval soldiers mutilating and killing prisoners, looting the dead and dying and such and dumping it all in a landfill. I wonder if domestic and everyday street violence was much more common back then as an effect of it, or can we simply assume it was?

Ben P -Killing livestock would certainly be a way to start a young warriors' career. Getting used to the smell of blood, knowing basic anatomy (if the head comes off or you stab the heart it's dead outright, or you can bleed it out from many smaller wounds) and what it takes to kill a man sized beast like a big pig. It's also imagineable how hunting boar and other dangerous animals with a spear would add to your weapon skill and cool in battle as a warrior. I think this was common practice in soldier or earlier warrior cutlure families, if at all possible where you lived.

Ben P.

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jan, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Johan Gemvik wrote:
I think most would agree that medieval people must have been much more accustomed to acts of up close violence and killing. Public executions and judicial mutilations, cities under siege, prosecution and mass murder of religious minorities were fairly common after all.

I don't know, I mean young people today can easily watch insurgents get shot full of holes on youtube, men beat each to death in a cage-match and some random girl get chopped to pieces by a man in a hockey mask. Even then it still takes a lot of work and training to get them to kill. And persecution and murder of religious minorities are still very common.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jan, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben,

I still do not buy it. There is a world of different between training for order and discipline and to become desensitized to the humanity of ones enemies. I have lots of family and friends that were and are military and have asked about this same thing. I also teach in an area that has a base real, real close, several of my classes have more soldiers than civilians in them. I brought this up and none of them felt they were conditioned to be desensitized to look at their enemy as unhuman or any such. They all knew their job and did it to the best they could when required which at times required fighting etc. My guess is that the hard training weeds out those who would be less able to fulfill the military's needs.

RPM
Johan Gemvik

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jan, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall, isn't that the very definition of modern day soldiers, how training and motivation nowdays differs from the old days so we don't have them coming back from war as psycho killers?
Also, the modern day soldier that kills with the press of a button and aims through a computer game-like console won't have the same traumas that a front line combatant might. Some kind of it perhaps, but probably less obvious and less severe.

Last edited by Johan Gemvik on Thu 13 Jan, 2011 4:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Johan Gemvik

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jan, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben P. wrote:
Johan Gemvik wrote:

I don't know, I mean young people today can easily watch insurgents get shot full of holes on youtube, men beat each to death in a cage-match and some random girl get chopped to pieces by a man in a hockey mask. Even then it still takes a lot of work and training to get them to kill. And persecution and murder of religious minorities are still very common.

In part I agree, but there's a difference because Youtube isn't like having it happen in front of you, nor is horror fiction percieved as real even by most young kids. Yes, these things also desenitize but not as much as real up close and personal violence. Most who've only seen it on TV and movies are completely psychologically unprepared for a real hand to hand fight. Much less one with weapons involved. And then there are those few that get an unusually strong fight rather than flight impulse and are natural brawlers and often also completely impetuous. Not always the best response but often a winning attitude as long as you don't get knifed in the gut or the odds are truly heavily against you. Probably quite a few of us on this forum have some of that in us, born with it, got it from life experiences or from training, for good and bad. Wink

Persecution is one thing. I think we have that everywhere and perhaps we are blunted today in our response to it, more than I'd like at least. But murders because of it is still considered outside the norm, at least in Sweden. Perhaps the horrors of 9/11 changed this to some degree in the USA, but I hope not.
Regarding murder of religious minorities much of this happens in countries that are more medieval in their mindset than the averge western culture today. I'm not going to go into possibly uncomfortable politics about this but I think most of us are fully aware of some backward countries this applies to. Or such murders are done in wester society by some few psycho religious nuts who need to be locked up.

Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jan, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: civilized?         Reply with quote

Johan,
the worst recorded mass murders of people while using ideology ( read ''religion'') were performed by nations who thought themselves to be the most advanced, and were deemed to be so by fairly objective standards regarding their production of philosophers, musicians, artists, industrial engineers, medical doctors etc..
Mass murders and human cruelty are as present through the ages and cannot be assigned only to so-called medieval or primitive societies, nor can they be reasonably blamed on a few psychotic basket cases who got out of hand while millions looked the other way.
I think one should be carefull in not confusing technical changes with moral choices. How is the use of napalm less cruel and degrading than hacking away with a sword ?People who use napalm as a weapon know what it can and will do to humans, as do those who plant anti-personal devices along pathways. They also know that these mines will keep on killing and maiming way after the conflict has ended, yet they are still used. So cruelty adapts to technological advances, but can revert real fast to more primitive methods when the occasion arises, as recently seen in many war zones.
On the matter of how one goes about dehumanizing any adversary, our modern examples are chock full of expressions used by members of many advanced societies, I don't think anyone here ignores the names we use for the ''other''...and I don't want to make a list of the most famous modern derogatory terms, they are just so numerous. Just remember how our ancestors used the word ''savages'' to describe another ethnic group, and how this word served as a general justification for murder, land grabing, rape, genocide through biological warfare, and so on... In fact, the Savages Act only finally got a name change up here in Quebec in the 1960's, and this is a geographical area where the occupation by whites goes back way further than most of the rest of North America, and also came about in the least conflictual manner. Nevertheless, the
''other'' was a ''savage'', so it was a good thing that we converted and civilized them, even though they practically disappeared in the process. I think you get the picture.
I think that it is dangerous to assume that technological progress has somehow made Mankind more humane. The world wars, the numerous attempts at genocide, ongoing conflicts, all make it quite clear to me that man is still a wolf to man, though some come it more easily than others, depending on circumstances, situations and the importance of the propaganda machine that they are involved with.

Bon coeur et bon bras
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jan, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall, I think we're basically talking about the same thing. I know a number of military folks who emphasize the psychological intensity of their training/conditioning. Some explicitly describe themselves as killing machines or in similar terms. I hear this from both anti-war veterans and die-hard hawks, so - combined with the obviously practical utility of crafting soldiers who don't hesitate to follow orders or engage the enemy - I suspect there's considerable truth to it. Even volunteers genuinely willing to shoot and get shot at benefit (in terms of effectiveness) from rigorous mental preparation.

Getting away from the politically charged modern-day matter, I'll reiterate that the evidence suggests experienced historical warriors killed with little reluctance under the right circumstances. Our time simply has never seen hand-to-hand slaughters to match that of battles like Cannae, Towton, and Ravenna. As horrible as modern weapons may be, it's hard to argue they require more courage or bloodlust to wield than swords and spears. I imagine the spectacular success of certain units relied significantly on greater enthusiasm for the terrifying task of close combat with edged weapons.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jan, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it's safe to say we modern folks are exposed to death quite a bit through media like video games, movies, TV shows, gangsta rap, etc. But it's mostly fictional death or real death recorded far away. Most of us are fortunate that we're not surrounded will actual death on any regular basis (exceptions to apply for soldiers, law enforcement, medical professionals, etc.). Mortality rates are lower now where most of us live than they were in the Middle Ages. Lifespans are much longer now. Crime rates are likely lower in the areas where most of us live than in an average medieval city.

Medieval folks were exposed to actual death--up close--more often than most of us are today in the form of violent deaths in conflict and in crime, short lifespans, and virulent diseases unchecked by good health care. They weren't necessarily inundated with fictional or remote death back then; they had the real thing. Apart from stories around the fire, most people back then wouldn't have had as frequent an access to stories about death--no movies, tv, internet, video games, recorded music, and low literacy rates meant most people couldn't even read about it, assuming they could afford a luxury like a book. They had more regular access to actual death, though.

I'm not sure it's apples-to-apples to compare our feelings about death to theirs. We live in such different circumstances.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jan, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nothing breeds cognitive dissonance like seeing your mates get killed and/or maimed by religious fanatics using the most cowardly and indiscriminate means possible.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Mercy Killing and the Dehumanization Effects of the Helm.
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: