Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hit me with your best shot! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Weston R Ash

PostPosted: Tue 28 Feb, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
Personally, I like this one; a self priming, eight shot snap-lock pistol/petronel, dated 1600.
What makes this piece a favorite, is that it very clearly demonstrates the technical insight and technical limitations of the age. Though the revolver principle was established as soon as the snaplock introduced a mechanism that could be cocked with a flick of the thumb, it would be over 200 years before manefacturing technology was able to produce them in a satisfactory manner.
The picture is from the danish army museum's online database, which kicks ass. Unfortunately only in dansih;
http://www.thm-online.dk/genstande/?textsearc...on%3Atime=

German flintlock revolver from the late 16th century, that's all i know? can someone please help me identify this piece? it's in the puffer style

Attachment: 15.71 KB
German flintlock revolver from the late 16th century.jpg

I'm looking to familiarize my knowledge of Renaissance weapons and armour.
Nadeem Ahmad

PostPosted: Wed 29 Feb, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While there are some awesome firearms here (and some of them really made me drool), here's my personal favourite.

It was a tough choice between this, some early sabres such as the Nishapur one, and the Ottoman Turkish bows or Indo-Persian crab (and more conventionally shaped) bows.

These maces aren't very effective (to my knowledge, most are hollow) but are seen from Parthian times until the Qajar era, although zoomorphic maces are rarer in the pre-Mongol Islamic era. The hollow-ness and nostril holes were supposed to make the mace "ring" audibly when it struck something. They are also used in the Shahnameh and are seen in a couple of miniatures depicting other people fighting too.

I hope it isn't limited to stuff we own ...
William P

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hit me with your best shot!         Reply with quote

Johan Gemvik wrote:
Allright, did I get your attention? Well, you know the theme music to this thread. Wink

Play the song off spotify to get in the mood and post a picture of your best, most fantastic and favorite historical weapon or weapon detail and a short description what it is and why it's the best in your book. It's not a contest, everyone has their own favorite that means something special to them, but share your treasures.

This is mine, the Henry VIIIIs breech loaded hunting rifle. Doesn't look like much, but it was hundreds of years ahead of it's time. It would have been real life super tech sci-fi to people back then, like somebody today having a portable plasma gun or laser.

I bet Henry dreamt of mass producing something like this for his troops, we know he spent a lot of resources to invent new weapons for his army and especially the navy, but a gun like this for every man just wasn't viable at the time. Note than most soldiers even during the american civil war and napoleoic wars some 300 years later still used front loaders less advanced than this rifle.

wait... you mean to say you own a rifle owned by henry VIII or is this something you just like?

the book 'wars in the renaissance' asserts that henry VIII had a bronze, triple barrel, breechloading cannon...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Three_shot_...0_1543.jpg

and then theres henry VIII's famous 'walking staff'
that was three gunbarrelsaround a long wooden staff with spikes protruding from the sides of the barrels, and a top spike coming out of the top of the staff.
http://www.myArmoury.com/view.html?features/pic_spot_combo33.jpg

but
other historical weapons that make me drool, that are non firearms?
hard to say, theres so MANY
and my collection is pretty small when it comes to GOOD weapons.
but my best is a reenactment blunted danish axe made by manning imperial. i like it because its a fairly not heavy at 1.7kg weapon, its nice and longish at 130cm. it swings fairly well, although i am to definately reshape the handle to make it easier to grip i.e adding facets and an oval cross section.

danish axes and other polearms i feel more comfortable with than a sword and shield combination, although im not yet allowed to use 2 handed polearms since im still learning.
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Hit me with your best shot!         Reply with quote

That Tanegashima musket looks surely heavy and it requires 2 samurai to hold it. In reality that musket is not that large for a samurai to carry alongside his usual swords.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hit me with your best shot!         Reply with quote

William P wrote:
wait... you mean to say you own a rifle owned by henry VIII or is this something you just like?

Only in my dreams so far. Maybe a well made replica some day though.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
William P

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Hit me with your best shot!         Reply with quote

Johan Gemvik wrote:
William P wrote:

Only in my dreams so far. Maybe a well made replica some day though.

i was gonna say... i mean i know ive seen the armours of world famous japanese samurai up for auction to private collections ..but isnt an item like that technically still the property of the english crown even today?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hit me with your best shot!
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: