Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Thoughts on my newly aquired Albion Crecy! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
James A. Vargscarr

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Thoughts on my newly aquired Albion Crecy!         Reply with quote

This one will stir fond memories in some of you!

I just received the Albion Crecy Grete Swerde recently sold to me by Michael Grote on the SFI classifieds. This is the Mark I; and the first ever made - previously owned by Joe Maccarrone and D. Opheim.

What a joy. This is the first Albion Mark sword I'd met, and she's a beaut.

The wonderful thing about the internet, and forum search functions, meant I was able to effectively track the sword's progress right back to Joe's customer testimonial regarding this sword; and even a post by Randal Graham discussing the design.

The Crecy was something of a gamble for me, as I'd previously owned an Atrim 14th century longsword (purchased some years ago through Albion), and not found it right for me. To be honest, the AT felt too slight in my hands, overly long; and ever since I'd been leery of blades of similar length. Now, I doubt any of you need to hear that ATs have a reputation for quality, and I firmly believe there's a model out there for me - however, this one was not it; and I put it down to my tastes rather than the sword - I thought 36" blades did not agree with me. Still, as some of you know, I moved from England to Canada six months ago, and the rest of my swords are all back in Northumberland. Combine my deprivation with curiosity about 13th/14th century bastard swords; and Michael's Crecy deal was too good to pass up. And I'm so glad I gave this type of sword another chance - now I understand what a difference in design a smith's philosophy makes.

The Crecy has a heft totally (and intentionally) absent from the ATrim. She's a heavy sword - but in the best possible way. The 36" blade feels just right, and that sentiment is a very good way to describe the sword in almost every aspect: the Crecy is just right. From the wonderfully satisfying octagonal guard to the flawless grip wrap; from the mathematical design geometry to the polish of the blade - just right.

Those of you intimately familiar with Albion's swords doubtless know how perfect are their lines; how satisfying their measurements - and yet how despite this exactness, they feel like true historical arms. This appreciation was a first for me, and it's a testament to both Albion and the previous owners of the sword that upon opening the box I felt like I was holding a brand new sword, crafted just for me. The only flaws I could find were a couple of slightly rough areas on the guard - easily sanded out, if and when I get around to it. I mention them simply to maintain objectivity.

Balance is perfect for the meaty blade, and the sword tracks sublimely when dry handled. The sword exudes power. This is a true sword of war, and it lets you know it as soon as it's in your hands. I've not had a chance to cut with her yet, nor take my own pictures; since after my initial evening with the sword, my girlfriend spirited it away into the closet. It's to be her birthday present to me, so after an adulterous few hours during which I was allowed to make sure everything was as it should be, I now have to anticipate our reunion in four weeks time...

I did manage to take a few measurements though, for those interested in seeing how the sword compares to other Crecy models. Sadly, I lack adequate scales to measure the sword's weight; but here are the rest of the stats:

Overall length: 45 and 1/4 "
Blade length: 35 and 3/4 "
Grip length: 7 and 1/2 "
Guard width: 8 and 1/4 "
POB: 5 and 7/8 " from the guard
COP: 8" from the tip (as best I could determine - I smacked the pommel for a while trying to get some vibration going, but the sword does not vibrate easily. That said, it's been a while since I smacked a pommel...)

I know I'm late to jump on the Crecy bandwagon, but better late than never. My thanks to all at Albion - and to Eric McHugh for his excellent scabbard; the inclusion of which pushed me over the edge and into buying the sword in the first place. And to this particular Crecy's previous owners - rest assured, she's found a very good home.
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats James,
Thanks for sharing your thought's,
It made for some good reading,

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Thoughts on my newly aquired Albion Crecy!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic