Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Rapiers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Evans

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Rapiers         Reply with quote

I'd just like people's thoughts on a supplier for a good, well made early 17th Century rapier, within the price range £200 to £400 give or take. It's only ever going to be used for training purposes so semi-sharp-ish. I'm not fussed where I get it from, as long as the maker/supplier is trustworthy.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check into Armour Class of Scotland. Don't think you can go wrong with them, the Pappenheimers look excellent!
Arms & Armour and Vladimir Cervenka are two others worth having a look at.

Bill
Geoff Freeman

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darkwood Armory of Florida is also a very good choice. They made this one for me ealier this year.

Based on this original:

With a dagger made en suite:

Both weapons together:

Geoffrey C. Freeman
Durendal Fencing Club
David Evans

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darkwood is a option. Armourclass will be having the joy of mounting a Leon Paul 40" blade on a hilt for me. Getting a balance point related to the weight and length of the rapier is pretty important. Whilst handling real ones, dated 1580s to 1640s I've noted that they feel unbelievbly light and responsive in the hand, even though they are longer and heavier than most reproductions!
Adam R

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Evans wrote:
Darkwood is a option. Armourclass will be having the joy of mounting a Leon Paul 40" blade on a hilt for me. Getting a balance point related to the weight and length of the rapier is pretty important. Whilst handling real ones, dated 1580s to 1640s I've noted that they feel unbelievbly light and responsive in the hand, even though they are longer and heavier than most reproductions!

Hi David,
What are the Leon Paul blades like then?

As for reccomendations, yes, Armourclass are unbelievable value for money. I have just had a rapier (although I guess really it's more a single sword with a pappenheimer hilt) from Carpathia. It is good and some of the other stuff I have seen from them is very good indeed, particularly rapiers. But I did have some enormous problems getting the stuff. I believe their smith problems are sorted out now, but I can't recommend them without the warning!

Adam

Adam Roylance
KDF Nottingham
www.nottinghamsword.co.uk
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another alternative - Eddie Floyd at www.swordplayalliance.com
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recently had 2 hilts made by ElJay Erickson, one being based on a 15th Cent antique that I got to handle and take pictures of. The ElJay made hilt is fitted to accept Del Tin rapier blades so you would be able to replace blades if needed...I was able to handle the antique rapier again at a local sword get together we had and I gotta say ElJay did one fantastic job since I was able to compare the new and the old side by side, the kicker was being able to adjust the p.o.b with small weights in the pommel that way I could tweak it to how I wanted it.
David Evans

PostPosted: Mon 13 Sep, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam
Have a look at the Sussex Rapier Society site. The Leon Paul schalenger(!?!) has been co designed and tested between the two so I guess it should do the trick. By the way. I train at the Leeds chapter at the mo. Just got 9 months of moblised service to get though, which will give me lots of cash to spend on pretty things.

Ben
On balancing blades. I've been shown a handfull of pages from a swiss german book that show blades, hilts, guards, pommels and a small balancing scale. The implication seems to be that the armourer fits the various bits and then sets and checks the point of balance by trying different pommels until it hits the right spot. Which would seem to suggest that they deliberately aimed for a specfic p.o.b, possibly with the user present.

As to Carpthia. I've met Monika in Prgaue, with Falco in tow, and have to say what a lovely lady. I've heard from more than one person, Danny at Leeds and others, that delivery is slow but the blades the EHCG at Leeds have got are very nice.
David Evans

PostPosted: Mon 13 Sep, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: Balancing rapiers         Reply with quote

Forgot to add for all. I've got permission from David Edge at the Wallace collection to pay a visit and measure up
as many rapiers as I can to check for balance points against length and weight. I'm still hoping to go down before I disappear to Iraq. He's also mentioned two rapiers that can be dismounted so hopefully I can get some idea of the weight of all the bits that make the grip up! If I do get the time I will have to write it all up and post it here.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Rapiers
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic