Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Roman Spatha Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Frank Perkin

PostPosted: Sat 16 Oct, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Albion Roman Spatha         Reply with quote

Has anyone here ever tried out one of these swords? How did it handle?
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I handled one briefly this weekend at the Roman festival/filming in Nashville. Nina and Lars came down from Albion with a load of First Generation Roman swords. Beautiful stuff. Absolutely perfect, finish-wise. The spatha was my favorite--so light and so quick. VERY sharp. Simple and elegant. In fact, every gladius they brought was wonderful. I actually preferred the First Gen. Roman weapons over the Next Gen. Viking sword they also brought. I have no idea how the folks at Albion think they can improve upon the weapons they brought to Nashville, but I'm eager to see what they come up with.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By the way, I'm referring above to the Late Period Spatha, which I've long admired.

Attachment: 25.53 KB
latespatha1.jpg

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Having never handled a Roman sword I must say that the pommel looks like it would really dig into your wrist- is this so- I imagine it is not. . .
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
I handled one briefly this weekend at the Roman festival/filming in Nashville. Nina and Lars came down from Albion with a load of First Generation Roman swords. Beautiful stuff. Absolutely perfect, finish-wise. The spatha was my favorite--so light and so quick. VERY sharp. Simple and elegant. In fact, every gladius they brought was wonderful. I actually preferred the First Gen. Roman weapons over the Next Gen. Viking sword they also brought. I have no idea how the folks at Albion think they can improve upon the weapons they brought to Nashville, but I'm eager to see what they come up with.

Sean,

I saw the drawings of the planned Next Gen. Roman swords while at Albion. I think you'll like them. I also discussed some proposed Celtic/LaTene designs with Peter. I'm anxious to see what they come up with for these earlier periods.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've handled these, plus the Deepeeka Mainz and a Windlass/MRL gladius, and I found no wrist/pommel interference with any of them. This could theoretically be more of an issue with a spatha since it adds emphasis to the cut, but I noticed no problem with the Late Period Spatha. Now, I wasn't standing there swinging the thing, so I don't want to give the impression that I gave it even a superficial workout. Still, it seemed fine to me. I'm sure Patrick can tell you much more about this than I can. My interest in the ancient stuff comes mainly through my wife, a Roman archaeologist. Have you seen Patrick's review of Albion's gladii ( http://www.myArmoury.com/review_alb_gladii.html )? I'm sure that much of what he has to say about those weapons applies to Albion's spathae (spathi?) as well.
-Sean

Frank Perkin

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Man that is one nice sword!         Reply with quote

I'm really torn between that and a AT1548 Cut & Thrust Long Sword at Allsaintsblades.com
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lucky you, to have such a choice! There's just something about the lines of that Late Period Spatha that I just love...In fact, since I can't afford the real thing, I'm planning to strip the aluminum hilt off of a Chinese sword hidden in my attic and rehilt it with something similar to that of Albion's weapon. A spatha is about all the Chinese blade would be halfway appropriate for, and I can manage the wood and brass/bronze construction of the spatha hilt. Be sure to post here with your impressions of whatever you decide to buy!
-Sean

David McElrea

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Quote:
I also discussed some proposed Celtic/LaTene designs with Peter. I'm anxious to see what they come up with for these earlier periods.

Designs? Happy

David
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David McElrea wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Quote:
I also discussed some proposed Celtic/LaTene designs with Peter. I'm anxious to see what they come up with for these earlier periods.

Designs? Happy

David

Oh yes Wink

David McElrea

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David McElrea wrote:
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I took 2 stuffed backpacks full of La Tene source materials, and Peter spent a good amount of time poring over various stuff. I think it is safe to say he currently has a lot of interest in Celtic (and Iberian, early Germanic, etc.) blades.

N
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also recently heard quite a bit from Peter about the next gen Roman weapons, looked over the designs as he described them, and saw what I believe he called a "study sword" of a LaTene blade. This blade (bare mind you) can be described as beyond featherweight - as Peter elegantly explained, an excellent choice for quick, slashing attacks made against a bare-chested (and, ahem, other such exposed vitals) opponent.

I also took away from the discussion some insight on some pretty wild (perhaps unbelievable) styling in originals that one could barely recognize as Roman.

The trip down to the shop on Sunday to pick up my new piece was a lot of fun and very informative! Thanks again to everybody at Albion over the weekend Happy

(. . . not to hijack the thread, but yes, I did say I picked up my new sword. . . pictures and such to follow as soon as I can dig up the digital camera. For now, I'll just say that Eric outdid himself. Thanks again, my friend, and it is absolutely beautiful Cool )
Matt G. Meekma

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This past Saturday, Jon and I were able to take a Trip to Albion (main purpose was to pick up Jon's new Riding Sword) and we were fortunate enough to sit and Chat with Jason and Peter in great depth about Both the Roman and Celtic blades.

The difference between the First Gen and Next Gen Romans is, in my opinion, profound. Having the "plans" for the making of the blades in front of you and Peter there to explain everything to you was amazing to say the least. And I would have to agree with Patrick that you will be pleasantly surprised on what they have planned.

BTW Peter, I personally think it would be great to see the "Harley Davidson" Gladius!

It was the prototype for the La Tene BLade that REALLY caught my eye and attention. WoW! all i can really say. That and having Peter sketch three or four different hilt and pommel designs as we watched really made me a eager for this blade to get into production.... although the longer it takes the bigger the chance i break down and order some of the other great things we got to see/handle.

And Nathan, You were not joking about two stuffed back packs of info for Peter! That stack of papers was HUGE!

Up until Saturday I wasn't overly interested in either of these types of weapons, Funny what just sitting back and Listening to what Some one with as much Knowledge and Passion for everything sword as Peter and the folks at Albion, can do to a person that is relatively new and uneducated to this "world" as I am.

Beer is God's way of saying He wants Us to be Happy. - Ben Franklin
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That Celtic/LaTene blade that Peter made was nice wasn't it? That will make a very light slashing razor of a sword. We both seemed to be of the same mind that it would make a nice sword from Celtic-Britain. British swords of the period are generally smaller than their continental counterparts. I'd like to see how that one turns out.

And congratulations on the new sword Jonathon!

Jeffrey Greene

PostPosted: Tue 19 Oct, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Albion's Late Period Spatha 1         Reply with quote

Hi guys!
I'm very new to this list, having just joined a couple of days ago. I joined because I too have long admired Albion's late period spatha, I liked it so much that I converted an old sword that I had laying around to one very similar to Albion's. I wrote the folks at Albion hoping that I could find some information on the provenance and historical background of this sword, and they pointed me here and suggested that I try to contact Mr. James King, who did the research on this weapon. My main questions are, what historical model is this sword based on? It looks very similar to ones found in the Danish bogs, but I would like to know if there was a specific weapon that it was modeled after. Who made these swords? I know it is Roman, but it has many Germanic influences, so I wonder if they could have been locally made swords bought by some Roman soldier, or if the Romans themselves began making weapons of this style as issued items? Can any of you help me with background information for this style sword? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Tue 19 Oct, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt G. Meekma wrote:
It was the prototype for the La Tene BLade that REALLY caught my eye and attention. WoW! all i can really say. That and having Peter sketch three or four different hilt and pommel designs as we watched really made me a eager for this blade to get into production.... although the longer it takes the bigger the chance i break down and order some of the other great things we got to see/handle.

And Nathan, You were not joking about two stuffed back packs of info for Peter! That stack of papers was HUGE!

Up until Saturday I wasn't overly interested in either of these types of weapons, Funny what just sitting back and Listening to what Some one with as much Knowledge and Passion for everything sword as Peter and the folks at Albion, can do to a person that is relatively new and uneducated to this "world" as I am.

Think we got us some "converts" here! Happy

Peter has been pretty enthused about the Celtic La Tene stuff for a goodly while I know, and I have sporadically been "talking" about it to Peter electronically for a while. And a lot of folks know I am pretty into the La Tene Celtic (with a healthy dose of bronze, Halstatt and earlier Iron Age generally)

But when I broke out the all books we we all started geeking out at the Sportman's, I think La Tene Celtic fever became contagioius!

I can remember a time not too long ago when Patrick was not very interested in the La Tene stuff and saw the spatha as the real start of "cool swords", and now Jonathon and Matt here are pumped up---I really like seing the love of knowledge (and sword types) spread so enthusiastically!

The spatha is nice and all, but ya gotta really start with the earlier stuff, and don't disrespect the La Tenes.

Oh yeah, Matt, the paper stack was really what didn't fit so well in the backpacks, those were reserved for books. And I didn't even bring large chunks of materials that I had shared with Peter previously! *almost* as fun as looking at swords themselves...
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Wed 20 Oct, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Albion's Late Period Spatha 1         Reply with quote

Jeffrey Greene wrote:
Hi guys!
I'm very new to this list, having just joined a couple of days ago. I joined because I too have long admired Albion's late period spatha, I liked it so much that I converted an old sword that I had laying around to one very similar to Albion's. I wrote the folks at Albion hoping that I could find some information on the provenance and historical background of this sword, and they pointed me here and suggested that I try to contact Mr. James King, who did the research on this weapon. My main questions are, what historical model is this sword based on? It looks very similar to ones found in the Danish bogs, but I would like to know if there was a specific weapon that it was modeled after. Who made these swords? I know it is Roman, but it has many Germanic influences, so I wonder if they could have been locally made swords bought by some Roman soldier, or if the Romans themselves began making weapons of this style as issued items? Can any of you help me with background information for this style sword? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Hi Jeffrey...

Welcome to the forum... It's good to have you here.

Sure would like to see your spatha conversion. If you get a chance, post a picture or two for us.

I'm not the best one to try and answer your questions, but I'll give it a shot.
I think that you are right about the general design, it does look like something from a 3rd or 4th century bog find. As to a specific original sword used for inspiration, the closest I could find was a hilt from the Vimose Bog Find (I think). (See attachment second from the left). The more rounded edges on the hilt components of the original would probably make it more comfortable than the sharp edges of the Albion spatha. However I like the looks of the Albion spatha better.

Many of these late Roman Spathae and Gladii have more germanic and celtic elements added to the basic Roman design because (as I have read) many provincial and frontier germanic or celtic bladesmiths were put to work making swords for the Roman auxiliary units. They added their own provincial elements to the basic Roman design.

So it is possible that barbarian bladesmiths made the swords for the Roman auxiliaries (mostly barbarian also) who were attacked by other more hostile barbarians who took away the barbarian Romanesque swords to be thrown into sacred lakes as an offering to the barbarian war gods. I'm sure there must have been a few real Romans around. Wink Big Grin

Welcome...
keep posting.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
David Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 20 Oct, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also, don't forget that many later Roman military units were comprised almost entirely of recruits from various Germanic peoples. Their arms and amor would have reflected this heritage.
David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Douglas G.

PostPosted: Sat 23 Oct, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Let me echo David. In late Roman times much of the Roman population
of the Italian penninsula preferred to avoid service in the Legions, with those who
did serve being less dependable than conscripts from subject lands.
Certainly Aetius counted on his Germans more than his "true" Roman
legionaries.

Best,
Doug G.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Roman Spatha
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: