Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New pole-arms from unknown maker Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 07 Oct, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: New pole-arms from unknown maker         Reply with quote

Well I was browsing the web looking for something called "English Partizan" (one of the windlass discontinued items that I fancy a lot) and I stumbled upon pole weapons that I have not seen before on the market. They look OK but are fairly pricey. I do not know who makes that stuff or if it is worth the money. Anyhow, I decided to share this with the community hoping that someone will have some feedback.

In all honesty some of the "halberds" are horribly looking, but some appear decent, and some of the axes catch the eye also.
http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/Halberds.html
http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/Pole_Weapons_and_Spears.html
http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/Medieval_Battle_Axes.html

Alexi

Attachment: 31.88 KB
cd-1045b.jpg

Attachment: 12 KB
cd-1046a.jpg

Attachment: 22.79 KB
cd-1046c.jpg

Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Thu 07 Oct, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New pole-arms from unknown maker         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
I do not know who makes that stuff or if it is worth the money. Anyhow, I decided to share this with the community hoping that someone will have some feedback.

I believe these items are the work of Helmut Vajc, who sells them through his own website also.
http://www.traditionelle-events.de/index.htm

Some of them look interesting, but I have not yet heard of anyone who has bought any of them.
David R. Glier

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darnit! Why do I discover these things when I'm half-way done with making my own??? Mad
(because you wouldn't be able to afford all of them, that's why, you nitwit!)

...oh well. Worried they look good.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some of these items look promising, and yet the price point is comparible or more than A&A which has a good track record for pole weapons and axes..
What does anyone know about the makers and their commitment to historical accuracy, especially the axes. I guess I am a bit skeptical. [/i]
Jeff Johnson

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The configuration of the second one is dicey. The "tenderizer" portion of the hammer ought to have little spikey bits rather than flat blocks. I'm also unsure as to the historicat source for the three spikes on the back of the first one.
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My german sucks but I could make out that he makes whatever polearm the customer wants. Many of the weapons shown seem to be a mix of fantasy and historical.

The swords are made by someone else, probably Czhec smiths. A few I really like, like this one. What do you think?

Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have been tempted to order one or another of his axes, but have not yet acted. It would be nice to know if he can deliver a finished product in less than a year. I suppose the only way to find out is to take the plunge.
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenneth Enroth wrote:
My german sucks but I could make out that he makes whatever polearm the customer wants. Many of the weapons shown seem to be a mix of fantasy and historical.

The swords are made by someone else, probably Czhec smiths. A few I really like, like this one. What do you think?

Don't know a single thing about the maker, but I like the looks of this particular sword. I have a very similar pommel on an old beater that I made (hand and a half saber). I like the flow of it on mine (mentioned because I doubted I'd like it all the time I was making it.... lol )

Wish I had the money, I'd be really tempted to try a sword like this one...
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While browsing yesterday I found the maker of that saber. It's www.fabri-armorum.cz and their price is roughly half of that on the German site. Dealing directly you also get a sharp, custom made weapon.
Blaz Berlec

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been to Fabri-armorum's workshop and its owner Jiří Kronďák is really nice guy. He's one of the few Czech blade and weapon smiths that have something to show at his workshop – he usually has several things on stock and a small “museum” of his work. If you’re visiting Prague, call him.

Prices are quite low, even for very large and elaborate things. My friend just bought a 15th century (nearly) full harness (with sallet, gloves and everything), and he only paid around 1200 Euros (less than 1500 $) for it. Here’s the small picture, sorry for the quality:

While his armour is quite adequate, his weapons are (for my taste) a bit crude. He’s a typical Czech smith that makes swords for re-enactment – and in Czech re-enactment means a lot of edge on edge bashing and largely theatrical fighting. So his blades are quite thick, with very square-like cross section and absolutely no distal taper. Hilts are crude and unfinished, and grips are uncomfortably thick and non-ergonomic. Can’t imagine his sword made sharp… It would be easier to sharpen a crowbar.

But then again, all his designs are very sturdy and durable – made for use and abuse. And (maybe above all), he is very trustworthy person. And he trusts his customers – my friend that bought that 15th century armour ordered it last year, and in the middle of making he went broke. Kronďák stopped work on his armour, but kept it in his workshop unfinished and when the friend finally got the money, Kronďák simply continued and finished his suit in a very short time, but due to long break in the middle it took almost a year. And all that without any advance payment!

If only he made better looking things…

So, if you’re interested in his "Leaving history" Happy , and especially if you’re looking for cheap but durable swords and knives for home improvement projects, czeck him out.

Gosh, I’m starting to sound like an advertisement for Czech swordsmiths on this forum… But then again, not everybody here has seen and used works of mostly unknown Central European swordsmiths.

Feel free to ask if you need to know more.

Blaz

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century
Blaz Berlec

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My friends just returned from Czech Republic and brought back 6 swords from Jiří Kronďák (Fabri-armorum). As you can see they're really nothing special, but they're very cheap (around 120$ for sword, 100$ for scabbard and belt), sturdy and servicable stage weapons. They're also quite light - only around 1,5 kg, which is very good for rebated hand and a half sword. If only they had the looks...

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Thu 28 Oct, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenneth Enroth wrote:

O.O

Is that what I think it is?

The hilt work looks very good, at least on par with Lutel, if not a bit better.

I like the recurved quillons, especially on single-edged blades. Side ring is a bit large for my taste (from a purely ćsthetic sense). If I were to add a side ring roughly the size of those on the A&A German Bastard, something like this would be my Schweitzersabel of choice!

The pole arms look to be of reasonable quality. I would like to see some destructive tests done on one.

Pole arms are so cool! Cool

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Einar Drřnnesund

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That saber looks VERY familiar. There was a smith at this years HEMAC event in Dijon who sold that very piece I believe. I handled it, and though it was quite heavy for my taste, it was well balanced, and it looks wicked.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New pole-arms from unknown maker
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic