Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > weight of viking swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 21 Nov, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: weight of viking swords         Reply with quote

I am trying to track down weights of period viking swords with the task of determining how common were weapons that weighted more than 1.3kg (~2.9lb). I own the "Swords of the Viking Age" book and I am yet to find weights in it (admittedly I have not read it cover to cover). I am not interested in statements like "The average viking sword was so and so kg" but to get a sense of how broad the distribution was in terms of weights and get a feel for what the lightest and heaviest weapons were.

So if you know of a reliable internet source or a book, please let me know. (or if there was a discussion on this forum that I have missed, direct me its way)

alexi
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Sun 21 Nov, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, Alexi.

In Jan Petersens "the Norwegian viking swords" he lists weights ranging from about 0,7 kg to about 2 kg in one extreme case. Its a long time since I read the book though, so I dont know how well preserved the lightest examples were. As far as I can remember, swords over 1,3 kgs were fairly common amongst some of the types.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sun 21 Nov, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Einar Drønnesund wrote:
Hi, Alexi.

In Jan Petersens "the Norwegian viking swords" he lists weights ranging from about 0,7 kg to about 2 kg in one extreme case. Its a long time since I read the book though, so I dont know how well preserved the lightest examples were. As far as I can remember, swords over 1,3 kgs were fairly common amongst some of the types.

As you say, he lists type C's as heaviest, with one at ~1.9 Kg (over 4 lbs) and he has incomplete (lacking part of blade) type Ds at up to ~1.5 Kg (~3 and a quarter lbs).
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 21 Nov, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Einar Drønnesund wrote:
Hi, Alexi.

I'm having hard time finding this book (at least at amazon.com). Can I gen an ICBN or a link to a book seller that has it. The king of information you and Geoff are citing is exactly what I was after.

The best i could do was this website which has excerpts from the book [url]http://www.vikingsword.com/petersen [/url]

Alexi
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Mon 22 Nov, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
Einar Drønnesund wrote:
Hi, Alexi.

I'm having hard time finding this book (at least at amazon.com). Can I gen an ICBN or a link to a book seller that has it. The king of information you and Geoff are citing is exactly what I was after.

The best i could do was this website which has excerpts from the book [url]http://www.vikingsword.com/petersen [/url]

Alexi

Yeah, as far as I know, thats the best youre gonna do in english. I dont think there is an english translation of the book, although it sounds like Geoff has read it, unless the site covers what he said in his post.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 22 Nov, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Einar Drønnesund wrote:
Yeah, as far as I know, thats the best youre gonna do in english. I dont think there is an english translation of the book, although it sounds like Geoff has read it, unless the site covers what he said in his post.

My understanding is that it's currently being translated, but the archaic form of Norwegian in which it's written makes it a monumental task.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Mon 22 Nov, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Einar Drønnesund wrote:

My understanding is that it's currently being translated, but the archaic form of Norwegian in which it's written makes it a monumental task.

Hehehe, its certainly old fashioned, and in some areas close to danish. It wasnt a fun read. Big Grin
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 22 Nov, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Einar Drønnesund wrote:
Hehehe, its certainly old fashioned, and in some areas close to danish. It wasnt a fun read. Big Grin

Thanks, Einar. That's good feedback, as I had not heard any first-hand accounts by somebody who's read it to know just how different it is from modern language. I've been very curious about this.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Mon 22 Nov, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Einar Drønnesund wrote:

Thanks, Einar. That's good feedback, as I had not heard any first-hand accounts by somebody who's read it to know just how different it is from modern language. I've been very curious about this.

A norwegian wont have any problems understanding it, its not that old. But its reads kinda slow, if you know what I mean. And the spelling of many words are closer to danish than modern norwegian. And its really dull.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Mon 22 Nov, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Einar Drønnesund wrote:
Alexi Goranov wrote:
Einar Drønnesund wrote:
Hi, Alexi.

Alexi

That was the site I was using. I definitely can't read norwegian, ancient or modern!
Geoff

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > weight of viking swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic