Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei Cawood ReviewProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jun, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also bought up some of the HT swords when they were selling stupid cheap before the increase. The Hanwei Cawood is not a bad sword and I like mine. Of that type, I also have the Del Tin version. On the Hanwei, I redid the grip leather in a black leather with cord imprint to break up the brightness of the overall sword. The blade on mine is pretty stiff.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jun, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Fantastic!         Reply with quote

Thank you all for the great responses, fellas! I believe my mind is made up. The brown leather on the scabbard and grip were a big seller for me also. My previous kits(Scottish Highlander)all used black leather goods, ...now I'm goin' brown. For no more cutting than I do, I believe this lil Viking will do fine. I guess all that's left to do now is send Ryan at KOA another chunk of my paycheck! Laughing Out Loud Thanks again, guys. Maybe, if I can figure out my wifes camera, I'll make a little 'unboxing review' video. I know, kinda like watching someone else open a Christmas present......... Laughing Out Loud Gotta have it!........McM
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jun, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian said:
Quote:

Because I rarely get to compare them side by side, I often wonder how much variation there is between two examples of a production sword model. My Albion and H/Ts are all pretty solid but with my Cawood, just shaking my fist vigorously can cause it to flex. Then again, I also got a really early one, maybe changes were made?

That said, I still really like the sword. Quality is very good for the price, even better versus the H/T line since the almost $100 price rise in that series (a real pity, they used to be superb value for money, now they are less attractive).

Hello Ian:
Indeed, my copy of this piece does not flex like what you have described. Of course, with swords at this price point I think we can assume that consistency will be lacking from time to time. Windlass has always bothered me in that regard.
Nonetheless, it appears we both enjoy our Cawoods and that is what matters.

Best to you, Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Thu 29 Aug, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well...The deed is done. My Cawood should be in my hand Tuesday evening....Thanks to the good folk at KOA. I can't wait !Pics of the customization to follow..........mcm Razz
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Fri 30 Aug, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alright, after reading all this again I'm thinking I need one of these..... the price is right after all
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 30 Aug, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One last little curio before I resign myself to being a Cawood owner...........While looking at the Therion Arms site at pictures of the sword (great photos ,Hal !) I noticed a curious marking on the blade. It looks like a small, etched "SE" on the blade a few inches below the guard. The KOA pics do not show this, nor have I seen it on any other Hanwei blade. Thoughts? Answers? Not that it matters.......Just curious.............. Big Grin McM
William Swiger

PostPosted: Sat 31 Aug, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The mark is not an SE but a trademark horse head that is on some of their models.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 31 Aug, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really?.........Thanks for the info, Will. It totally looks like "SE" to my eyes. I've never seen it before or since. A horse head, eh? Cool. Thanks again for the clarification!..... Big Grin ........McM
William Swiger

PostPosted: Sat 31 Aug, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 31 Aug, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Before the CAS Hanwei order of the garter badge, Hanwei used a horse logo as their overall trademark.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/4687/img5472gr.jpg

Cheers

GC
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 31 Aug, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okay........... Laughing Out Loud ............I see the horsehead now! But, you gotta admit.....It does look a lot like "SE". Thanks fellas!.....McM
B. Pogue
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
Okay........... Laughing Out Loud ............I see the horsehead now! But, you gotta admit.....It does look a lot like "SE". Thanks fellas!.....McM

It's actually a stylized "HW" for Hanwei. The H is the lower jaw, neck and front shoulder canted to the right and the W the mane.

Blake
William Swiger

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

B. Pogue wrote:
Mark Moore wrote:

It's actually a stylized "HW" for Hanwei. The H is the lower jaw, neck and front shoulder canted to the right and the W the mane.

Blake

So then the stylized "HW" just happens to look like a horsehead or is the "HW" designed to look like a horsehead?

Bill
B. Pogue
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 02 Sep, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Swiger wrote:

So then the stylized "HW" just happens to look like a horsehead or is the "HW" designed to look like a horsehead?

Bill

Definitely designed to be a horsehead (a reference back to Hanwei's original horse logo as Glen pointed out above). The "HW" just kind of fit the design.

Blake
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Mon 02 Sep, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well....Whatever it is...I hope my Cawood has it. I think it looks cool as can be....almost like a 'running wolf' motif on many early blades. If I can figure out exactly what I want it to say, I may do some etched Norse runes along the fuller. I can only hope that Hanwei may, one day, offer a 'souped-up' version of this most famous sword. Pattern-welded blade, bronze fittings, inlays on the blade,......How freakin' cool would THAT be? Oh, .....And turn the scabbard over to to CF for a touch-up. That would probably put this sword in Albion/Arms&Armour price range. No.....I haven't been drinkin' or smokin' anything.....Just a cool day dream. Come on Tuesday! My baby will arrive!..............McM
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well....About damn time ! Finally, my Cawood has arrived! Talk about blow your expectations out of the water...............This sword is a dream come true. I have a hand-made Bowie knife that is heavier than this sword. Cuts and handles like a Jedi lightsaber. The fit and finish is perfect, and the leatherwork on the scabbard is flawless. Good job, CAS/PC/Hanwei......Good job!.......If the rest of you guys(and gals) don't have one yet, ....get to orderin".......You will NOT be disappointed. S'cuse me......I hear some Orcs and Goblins at the door. Got some trick-r-treat for them now. Wink Laughing Out Loud .....McM
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well.....I've had the Cawood for most of a day now, and to tell you honestly, this is the star of my collection. I LOVE this sword. The more I look at it and handle it, the more it grows on me. Any Viking warrior of the Dark Ages would think this sword to be made of magic. It is an extention of my hand and arm. (And.....YES! It has the horse-head mark on the blade! ) The leatherwork on the scabbard is above and beyond for a semi-production/hand-made sword. The peen on the pommel shows just enough hammer marks to let one know that this sword was assembled by a craftsman who cares about his trade. This sword is a true joy in every way. My only gripe is that the color of the leather on the grip and scabbard is a bit 'orange-ish' for my taste. I can fix that easily, though. Wink In parting, I'd just like to say that this is a totally great sword. If you know a 'newb' to the community, steer them towards this one! Excellent value for the price, and a beautiful piece of weaponry. Cheers!...........McM Blush
Greg E

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well this thread got this newb to buy one tonight as well. I had been flirting with buying this for awhile and this thread was the last straw. Can't wait.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Swiger wrote:

William,
Your picture is so great, I snagged it to add to the "database" of modern makers' marks. Thanks!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You will not be disappointed, Greg!..........McM

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei Cawood ReviewProduct Review
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: