Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Manning Imperial Greek Hoplite Sword -- First ThoughtsProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First, thanks for the correction regarding the fact that Manning essentially makes customs.

Regarding the weight of the chape, Manning also offers a fabricated chape separately:
http://www.manningimperial.com/item.php?item_...mp;c_id=14
If your chape is cast, then that may have been supplied to diminish the cost of the total package a bit, but then the scabbard may be a bit too heavy.
Danny Grigg

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David

Nice looking Xiphos, what's the overall length and the weight of the sword and the scabbard together?

Thanks

Danny
David Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Together, the whole package weighs 5.25 lbs. Overall length, is about 30 inches.
David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all:

I read through this topic somewhat quickly, so if my information is already present here (or irrelevant,) I apologize. I read somewhere (I believe it was in one of my armor books, I'll find the title later tonight) that most of the Assyrian large 'winged' chaps are thought by some to have been used to hook against the bask of the leg, facilitating drawing of the baldric-slung weapon. There is some evidence that the Celts may have used some chaps in a similar manner--both cultures used chariots, at least briefly. The author speculates that the chaps were made to make drawing easier for either the driver or the rider, I'm sorry I can't remember which.

To get to the point: perhaps larger, heavier chaps were used to catch or weigh down the scabbard for drawing?
The shapes are very different, so I might be totally off base here.

Attachment: 95.57 KB
b_900_h_lg.jpg

"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Manning Imperial Greek Hoplite Sword -- First Thoughts         Reply with quote

David Wilson wrote:
And so I, ever so willing to sacrifice for the sword-buying public, went ahead and bit the bullet, purchasing one of Manning's 24-inch xiphoi. Just so I could let potential buyers know all about it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Your dedication and spirit of self sacrifice is an example to us all, sir. Laughing Out Loud As I have myself asked about this very weapon without many replies, I wanted to thank you for this review. As well as for the photos, which are the best I've seen of this sword. The ones on Manning Imperial's site leave a bit to be desired.

I might be biting the bullet myself on this one before much longer, albeit with a few minor modifications I've been pondering. One thing I don't see addressed, and was hoping to get your take on, was blade geometry. Is there anything you can add with regard to sharpness, absence or presence of secondary bevel and overall correctness for the type?

Again, thanks for going to the pains. I hope the sword repays you in full for your trouble. Happy

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
David Wilson

PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cross section seems to be lenticular. The edge is odd; It's fairly sharp (the edge is functional, but not overly sharp) except for the last 1/4 of the blade, which doesn't seem to be edged... this can be remedied, but still, it's odd. Anyway, there seems to be no secondary bevel, the edge appears to have an appleseed grind. How historically accurate this is, I know not....
David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Manning Imperial Greek Hoplite Sword -- First ThoughtsProduct Review
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: