myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > ArmArt Riccard Viking Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Gus, are you saying that they intentionally made that etching crooked so that it would seem more in keeping with an antique? Big Grin

Actually, Roger, I thought some humor injection would be a good thing at that point....

The thing to remember about ArmArt is the total handwork used in construction. There is a lot of variety even between models, and in some cases a certain amount of variety in quality.

As to quality, I've seen one piece that I thought wouldn't embarrass Vince Evans. Most of them though were more in keeping with the aesthetic quality of an Albion or Arms and Armor........

Though they're not up to Arms and Armor performance standards......

Lets face it, three years ago, when they first appeared on the US market, they were a tremendous value for the buck. Now, where the prices are today, the value ain't bad, but the value isn't any better than what you'd get should you buy A&A or Albion. So it becomes a taste thing now, as the ArmArt stuff definitly appeals in a different light, than say, A&A.

As far as feel goes, since I'm as close to the Museum Store warehouse as I am, I've had the opportunity to see and handle something like 35 of them {give or take a couple}. I've yet to feel one that is totally out, harmonically. I have felt a couple that are pretty good harmonically. I've handled a couple that are totally dead in hand. I've handled a couple that are totally "alive" in hand. Most seem to be somewhere in the middle..........

The thing is, that when you get to early cruciform swords, a lot of these have cogs "way out there", and thus a modern sword enthusiast would absolutely hate them...........Not all of them by any means, but a substantial portion of them.

swords are fun
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Maly wrote:

Total length : 95 cm (37.5")
Blade length : 79 cm (31")
Blade width at guard : 50 mm (2")
Blade thickness at guard : 6 mm (0.25")
Fuller length : 76.5 cm (30.25")
Fuller width at length : 20 mm (0.75")
Grip length : 10 cm (4")
Balance point : 15 cm (6")
Weight : 1.33 kg (2.93 lbs.)

Thanks Steve
I really should use my eyes better! Looks like it might make a good tip cutter.
Geoff
Blaz Berlec

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is also interesting that the prices of ArmArt swords are about 1/3 lower if you check them on their site in Czech language... For instance the sword of of Ottokar II, king of Bohemia is priced normally at 390 $ or € (strange exchange rate), but the price on Czech site is only 8000 CZK, which is about 250 € or 285 $ at today’s exchange rates in Czech national bank. And that’s really cheap for a hand forged sword!

By the way, has anyone seen this sword up close and handled it? It’s still a bit out of my range (well, I’m from Slovenia, and our economy is not much better than Czech), but I’m desperately looking for a sword.

Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I also want to chime in and say that the sword looks very nice, and it is great that more and more ArmArt customers are getting their swords. Even better that the customers are pleased with their swords.

OTOH, I also think the $1000 tag is a bit pricey, even given the hand-work and hand-forging.

Compare this viking sword with the vikings at www.templ.net. Many of those pieces are right around the $1000 mark, a little more or less, handforged and even hand-smelted steel, pattern welding, and high amounts of detailed hand carved/inlayed decoration, at about 1 year---1 1/2 year wait. This is also from a Czech swordsmith. It seems as if $1000 can, at least in this instance, buy you more sword in the Czech Republic.

Last edited by Nathan Bell on Mon 22 Sep, 2003 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Björn Hellqvist wrote:
Peter J handled an ArmArt "Sword of Prayer" a while back. He wasn't impressed by it.

I was relatively impressed by the (sharpened) ArmArt "Sword of Prayer" that I had here. It was very nicely executed, had good fit and finish, and a nice edge geometry. The main criticsm I would mention is that it was rather "dead" in the hand, despite having a good weight and balance.

Perhaps it was a less than perfect specimen he handled, then. It was owned by a Swedish dealer, and might have been part of a "send me what you have" shipment. I considered an ArmArt a while back, but there were several things that made me decide against it. As many of the reasons concern another sword site, I don't want to go into any details here.
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I'm mentioning this because, while being a very nice and impressive Viking sword, I am a bit confused by the $1,000+ price tag on the Riccard.

Considering that the Viking sword S5A + scabbard is (still) priced at $500 on the ArmArt website, I'm a bit confused by the big leap in price, too. OK, that sword isn't a unique (?) item like the Riccard, and there's no engraving on it, but still...
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Björn Hellqvist wrote:
Perhaps it was a less than perfect specimen he handled, then. It was owned by a Swedish dealer, and might have been part of a "send me what you have" shipment.

Well, I'm still hoping to own an ArmArt sword or two if I ever get the chance. Recently, the two that went on the used market of which I was aware got bids from me.. also, I wrote ArmArt trying to purchase the Viking sword being discussed here..

So, someday, I'll get one. Maybe Chad or Roger will sell me their swords for a reasonable price Happy

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've also wanted to get my hands on an ArmArt for quite some time. Due to all of the hype and controversy my interest has really been piqued concerning them.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

quote="Nathan Robinson"]
So, someday, I'll get one. Maybe Chad or Roger will sell me their swords for a reasonable price Happy[/quote]

Well, if I ever sell mine, you'll be the first to know. But I sure don't plan on ever getting rid of it.

Attachment: 81.19 KB
SCABBARD3.JPG

Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:

Lets face it, three years ago, when they first appeared on the US market, they were a tremendous value for the buck. Now, where the prices are today, the value ain't bad, but the value isn't any better than what you'd get should you buy A&A or Albion. So it becomes a taste thing now, as the ArmArt stuff definitly appeals in a different light, than say, A&A.

Exactly... the S13 rapier I have, purchased from Jason Elrod, was $490.00 originally, its now something like $690.00 on their website - and it's also left handed. Would it be worth it for me at the new price? yeah, probably, if I were in the market for a rapier like that, though I'd want them to add a couple more inches to the blade.

was it a steal at $490.00? YES. absolutely.

It's extremely well executed, handles well, if slower than I'd expected (but I keep reminding myself, its a sword, not a sport epee or smallsword) and even cuts well, for a rapier. its a bit heavy for my taste at 2lbs 13oz, but that isn't really out of keeping with a rapier is it Gus?

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS
Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I've also wanted to get my hands on an ArmArt for quite some time. Due to all of the hype and controversy my interest has really been piqued concerning them.

Patrick,

If you ever make it over to Wichita, you're welcome to come play with my rapier. I'm very pleased with it. the kenjutsu dojo I'm part of has a tameshigiri day coming up soon, and I'm going to have a whack at some nice green bamboo with it - I have no doubt that it'll cut stuff in the 1/2 to 1" range, but I'm not going to push it beyond that. Hopefully I'll have some vids or pics of that experience. It does a heck of a number on cardboard boxes - way better than i'd expected, considering its really not a cutting sword.

best,
chris

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WTF?! Oh well, live and learn...
"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Steve Maly

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh BTW, if VE has any Vikings (or anything else for that matter) hanging around at this price range, I'll gladly take them off of his hands. Big Grin
"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Maybe Chad or Roger will sell me their swords for a reasonable price Happy

Not likely, I'm sorry to say. I love mine; definitely a keeper.

I paid $450 for it, which was a great deal for a hand-made forged sword. It bugs me a bit that they started offering scabbards after I got mine. I would have jumped on that.

If only Art Elwell did integral belts with his scabbards.....

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Maly wrote:
WTF?! Oh well, live and learn...

Don't take all of this the wrong way Steve. Everyone has differing opinions but that doesn't mean you got ripped off, or have anything to regret. As long as you're happy with the sword that's what counts. I tend to shy away from discussions on price unless it's completely ridiculous. Price and worth are very subjective things. We pay quite a bit for these things, and I don't know about everyone else, but most of my friends see it as a grand waste of money. To each his own. There are some things that I don't care for about your new sword but I certainly wouldn't claim that it was a piece of junk.

Here's a sword by Vince Evans that I wanted in the worst way:

Unfortunately it went to the blade show and made some other collector happy. The price was $1200.00, a deal I think.
The next sword that Vince will be making for me will be a Viking pattern at this price point.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I might take you up on that offer sometime Chris. Now if we were talking about a real "man sword" I'd be right over Wink
Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I might take you up on that offer sometime Chris. Now if we were talking about a real "man sword" I'd be right over Wink

Well.... just bring a real 'man sword' with you then... erm.. on second thought...don't. That has some really frightening connotations to it.... Eek! If you'd like to bring a manly sword on the other hand.. that would be ok Wink

Seriously though, consider it a standing offer - you can always get ahold of me here, or at the University PD, until january, when I head off to Topeka for law school.

I'll say this about this particular ArmArt, its a good way to look at their aesthetics, the complex hilt is supposedly forge-welded, and is very cleanly executed.

I have no idea how it compares with, say, an A&A rapier, as I haven't been lucky enough to handle one - and I'm just not in the market for another rapier. Of course, I just feel spiffy because it's lefthanded, and I kinda doubt there are any more lefty S13's around, though I haven't emailed ArmArt to ask them. Not totally custom, but the closest I'll come for a while.

Chris

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 23 Sep, 2003 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer Chris, I actually get to Topeka more (the glass palace) then I get to Wichita anymore. I may look you up sometime.
Steve Maly

PostPosted: Tue 23 Sep, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Patrick. I was looking over my projects that are pending with ArmArt, and this sword is actually within their price range for full custom jobs with the extra for a scabbard--still much less than just the sword through A&A (though I'd certainly like to have Chris & Craig take a crack at it--maybe after I twist their arms into a hollow-ground Henry V). I have no doubt that Vince's work is at a whole other level and YES I really like the sword that you attached. However, it is near impossible to beat Mac to the punch where VE is concerned. Wink He's still not taking orders, so I remain patient. I also particularly like the look of this one (and I just noticed how rounded the tip is on this one too):

Vince certainly takes wood as well as steel to a whole new level.

Attachment: 54.01 KB
9487266.jpg

Attachment: 34.02 KB
9487404.jpg

Scott Byler

PostPosted: Tue 23 Sep, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Love those Vince Evans Viking/Saxon types. I'd love to own one some day, though it looks like if I ever do it will be a spell down the road. Oh well, a guy can still dream... The real problem is, if I got the money together to put in an order for an Evans, I'd have a terrible time deciding on what to get because as much as I like the Viking stuff, I just about like every other type Vince makes, as well... I've said it before, but maybe it is better I don't have the money after all. Less stress in decision making that way. lol

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > ArmArt Riccard Viking Sword
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: