myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Walking stickDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 17 Sep, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The last few pics: Maybe too many but various angles and close ups show up the grain of the wood and the fine line where the two parts of the head are joined that is almost invisible in wide or medium shots.

Attachment: 93.01 KB
Stick9 34.JPG

Attachment: 86 KB
Stick9 35.JPG

Attachment: 72.02 KB
Stick9 36.JPG

Attachment: 80.73 KB
Stick9 37.JPG

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 01 Nov, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stick number 11 in my list of recent sticks since I started taking pics and posting them.

Zebrano carved head, wire wrap between head and Octagonal Hickory shaft, stainless steel tube used as ferule half hidden by crutch tip. The Octagonal Hickory shafts made by Ken Speed in the recent batch he sent me are extra stout and of larger diameter than the one's he sent me before.

I think my Zombie Slayer re-handling sort of influenced the asthetics of this one: The decorative nails in the head does give it a sort of a wooden mace/warclub feel to it.

The Zebrano turned out this time to darken substantially after oiling, much more than the Zebrano slabs on a previous stick ? Strange when the same wood gives very different results after being treated in a very similar way ? My theory is that the Zebrano was very very dry as it seemed to soak up the boiled linseed oil like a sponge !

I think if I want to be sure that the Zebrano remains light in colour would be to seal the wood before oiling so that the oil only penetrates very shallowly.

I think that Weldbond can be diluted 5 to 1 to use as a filler.

The tip has a cut section of stainless steel tubing instead of the usual tip furniture: I made this twice as long as I usually would because after putting on the crutch tip at least half of the steel remains visible. This was to avoid the metal tip being completely hidden like the copper caps end up being hidden by the rubber tips.

I did a series of varied wood burning patterns as deep lines in a checkerboard pattern on the shaft, and after darkened the entire rectangles to give it more contrast.

The lines are still visible but they become texture in the dark areas. The light rectangles sort of look " Ivory like " I think.

After using the boiled linseed oil for many applications I decided to use something else that seems to dry faster and gives a more glossy surface: CIRCA 1850 ( Brand name ) Antiques Danish Oil.

Still building this up and will use MINWAX Paste finishing Wax as a last finishing step. ( By the way used this wax on another stick and it gives a very nice gloss that seems wear resistant ).

As you can see a series of decorative nails in the head and some tacks holding the wound stainless steel wire: The wire wrap was easy to do as the wire would bend and change shape on the corners of the octagonal as I pulled it tightly around the shaft. I first drilled a pilot hole for the first nail holding the wire looped around it at the top and did the same for the nail at the end of the wire. I then added smaller tack nails around the shaft at top and bottom of the wire wrap to keep the wire tight.

I also use Weldbond glue below the wire and wiped some over the wire and cleaned off the excess with a wet wipe.

Each pilot hole for nails or tacks was filled with a drop of Weldbond before I hammered the nails/tacks in the head and shaft: The wire is firm and has no creep or looseness to it and I managed to wrap without any large gaps.

Attachment: 99.71 KB
Stick11 01.JPG

Attachment: 103.45 KB
Stick11 02.JPG
Pic a little dark in this one.

Attachment: 127.46 KB
Stick11 04.JPG
Close-up of wire wrap and tack heads.

Attachment: 92.99 KB
Stick11 06.JPG
Head and wire wrap + a bit of the shaft.

Attachment: 134.9 KB
Stick11 10.JPG
Checkerboard woodburning close-up

Attachment: 106.84 KB
Stick11 11.JPG

Attachment: 134.83 KB
Stick11 13.JPG

Attachment: 95.24 KB
Stick11 14.JPG
Better lighting on this pic shows wood grain better and looks more like the stick looks like in hand.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 01 Nov, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A few more pics showing it in hand: There is some distortion depending if the head is tilted towards or away from the camera.

The top part is 2" in maximum diameter but looks bigger in the pic where the head is inclined towards the camera.

Attachment: 105.51 KB
Stick11 15.JPG

Attachment: 100.13 KB
Stick11 16.JPG

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 20 Mar, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Repost of the last stick I made that disappeared due to the " myArmoury " crash.

Some in progress pics followed by finished pics.

All Ebony stick, the head built around the rectangular piece that forms the main shaft of the stick and built up on the sides and faces.

Carriage bolts at the ends of the head and stainless steel wire wrap above and below the hand carved spirals.

Attachment: 91.35 KB
Stick12 01.JPG

Attachment: 91.18 KB
Stick12 02.JPG

Attachment: 116.46 KB
Stick12 04.JPG

Attachment: 101.6 KB
Stick12 05.JPG

Attachment: 92.79 KB
Stick12 06.JPG

Attachment: 92.52 KB
Stick12 07.JPG

Attachment: 102.92 KB
Stick12 08.JPG

Attachment: 104.45 KB
Stick12 09.JPG

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 20 Mar, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

More pics of the roughed out stick followed by finished piece pics.

Attachment: 94.44 KB
Stick12 10.JPG

Attachment: 80.31 KB
Stick12 13.JPG

Attachment: 144.24 KB
Stick12 15.JPG

Attachment: 94.87 KB
Stick12 18.JPG

Attachment: 92 KB
Stick12 19.JPG

Attachment: 101.74 KB
Stick12 20.JPG

Attachment: 111.44 KB
Stick12 21.JPG

Attachment: 108.39 KB
Stick12 22.JPG

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 20 Mar, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And more pics including angled shots and how it looks in hand.

The stick using the wrist strap is very comfortable in use as one doesn't need to have a " death grip " on the walking stick head, and one can keep the hand very relaxed. The stick acts like a pendulum and it takes almost no effort for the stick to keep pace with a fast walk.

The rounded handle is also very very comfortable in the palm of the hand, the finish of the Ebony is satiny smooth and feels very nice.

Attachment: 101.31 KB
Stick12 23.JPG

Attachment: 94.18 KB
Stick12 24.JPG

Attachment: 91.5 KB
Stick12 25.JPG

Attachment: 98.87 KB
Stick12 26.JPG

Attachment: 103.8 KB
Stick12 27.JPG

Attachment: 85.03 KB
Stick12 29.JPG

Attachment: 103.97 KB
Stick12 30.JPG

D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Sun 24 Mar, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice Jean! I really like the most recent one. You definitely have some skill in woodworking. This recent staff looks like it could serve as a formidable weapon if it had to, yet still very dignified in appearance. Well done.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. S. Smith wrote:
Very nice Jean! I really like the most recent one. You definitely have some skill in woodworking. This recent staff looks like it could serve as a formidable weapon if it had to, yet still very dignified in appearance. Well done.

Yes it's one of my favorite sticks and it's slowing down my wanting to make a new stick as I usually want to make another stick when I want to have a new one to carry around.

It's also very comfortable when walking: I don't really need a stick to walk, but once addicted to sticks they are very useful for very long walks, good in Winter with slippery sidewalks as the stick has saved me quite a few times from falling and made a quick recovery possible.

Our really badly maintained sidewalks and streets are also full of potholes in the Spring and almost bobby traps just waiting to sprain an ankle if one walks without paying attention: A stick has helped me avoid a bad sprain at least 90% of the time or at least minimize the damage.

Oh, this one is a bit too short to call it a staff and it more a walking stick.

And yes it is sort of " solid " and weighs approximately 3 pounds and inspired by African or South Sea Island warclubs.

I also personally call a stick a cane when it has something closer to a handle of some kind.

And thanks, yes it is elegant and people I show it to are generally impressed by the beauty of Ebony: Quite a few people who don't know exotic woods are surprised that it's not a stained stick and that the jet black colour is it's natural colour.

I've also dropped the stick a couple of times on a hard floor or surface and the Ebony hardly shows anything and a bit of light sanding with very used 1200 grit sand paper cleans up the surface plus a reapplication of boiled linseed oil.

I'm still building up the finish with a daily application of oil with the excess wiped off after an hour or so.

Juan Cocinas

PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This piece is truly gorgeous, Jean. I really like the aesthetic that you've created with the spiral carved grip bracketed by the well-executed wire wraps. Keep the projects coming, sir Happy
"Resist your time- take a foothold outside it." Lord Acton
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got a little inspired by some of these posts last year, and I cut a dozen or so saplings along the edge of my woods where a garden needed a little clearing anyhow. I kept six of the smaller ones, sassafras and one cherry. I got inspired again, and since the snow kept me home today I started on one of the sassafras saplings removing bark. I only got about half done with a lock blade, earned a couple of nice blisters for my efforts. These saplings were cut about 7 1/2 feet long, my intention is to make wizard staff size walking sticks with some, smaller 4 to 5 foot sticks perhaps as well. If I ever finish with a reasonable result I'll post a few pics...... don't hold your breath
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jun, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This time more of a Walking Staff at 48" long, right at the maximum that I think works in a city stick context: Just short enough that at the movies my stick doesn't block the people's behind me view of the screen. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

A friend of mine bough a new house and in renovations he took apart an old staircase that had these 3" diameter brass spherical decorations and steel brass plated collars at each end of lexan posts: I chopped up one of the brass spheres for stock material for the top of a stick.

The brass is a good 1/8" thick.

The steel brass coated collars I did some file work on using a chain saw sharpening file for scalloped edges and cut finer line with a dremel cutting wheel.

The head is made from Grenadillo with both heart and sap wood for a two tone yellow on one side jet black on the other side top of stick/head.

Used the usual cut down White Oak martial arts " Bo " staff for the shaft and the usual steel spear butts from KoA.

Sanding and burnishing with 1200 grit sand paper and synthetic extra extra fine steel wood + the usual boiled linseed oil hand rubber finish.

The point of balance it a few inches above the centre of the stick and it balances well when used for long walks.

The brass top was ground on the edges to match the top of the head, epoxied on and I additionally used some round headed nails to both secure it even more and for decorative value.

Oh, on the top of the White Oak I used a cooper tube that fit the shaft with just a little sanding and by coincidence this copper tubing fit the inside diameter of the slightly larger steel plated collars perfectly when everything was epoxied together + the usual 1/4" X 8" long steel pin joining the head to the shaft.

At this point anyone who has read the previous posts will know that this is my usual way to make things as solidly secure as possible in assembly.

Attachment: 152.04 KB
Brass Ball02.JPG
Cut up for pieces brass sphere next to an intact one.

Attachment: 143.51 KB
Brass Ball04.JPG

Attachment: 139.09 KB
Staff3 13.JPG
Steel collar on the lexan post, one by itself, and on the finished stick.

Attachment: 95 KB
Staff3 01.JPG
Walking Staff next to a cane length stick for scale.

Attachment: 139.54 KB
Staff3 02.JPG

Attachment: 103.56 KB
Staff3 03.JPG
Close up of collars.

Attachment: 101.96 KB
Staff3 04.JPG
Top of stick, brass plate and nails.

Attachment: 98.56 KB
Staff3 06.JPG
Closer view of file work on top collar.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jun, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

More pics showing different sides of the two toned wood top piece and angled pics of the top.

Attachment: 106.09 KB
Staff3 07.JPG

Attachment: 161.2 KB
Staff3 08.JPG

Attachment: 121.94 KB
Staff3 09.JPG

Attachment: 71.53 KB
Staff3 10.JPG
Top showing deorative nails heads.

Attachment: 80.09 KB
Staff3 16.JPG

Attachment: 118.25 KB
Staff3 17.JPG
On a different background to make it easier to see the dark part of the wood grain.

Attachment: 117.73 KB
Staff3 18.JPG
Another pic of the collar and file work, at different angles the light reflects differently and some details are easier to see.

Ken Speed

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jun, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I particularly like this latest stick, I think the control Jean exercised in carving the two tone head from the piece of Grenadillo is remarkable as is the metal work. The long graceful tapering lines put me in mind of a modern interpretation of a French nobleman's cane. I can see that it isn't just a pretty stick and I'm sure that it balances and handles sweetly for long excursions.

I should point out that Jean does all the work on his sticks with hand tools supplemented with a power drill, as far as I know, he uses no additional power tools.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jun, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:

I should point out that Jean does all the work on his sticks with hand tools supplemented with a power drill, as far as I know, he uses no additional power tools.

Yes, only hand tools except for some use of a power drill and a dremel with a cutting wheel to cut metal bits or to do some file work when it involved very fine lines. ( I could probably use more of the tools that came with the dremel but so far 99% of the time just the cutting wheels ).

Preferred tools are a couple of planes, saw and miter box, a couple of japanese style saws, scrapers, rasps and coarse round files and maybe the occasional use of a small hand axe or adze, carving tools and small or large knives.

Well, I would add coarse to fine sanding sponges and emery cloths/sand papers down to 1200 grit.

Thomas Simpson

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: adze         Reply with quote

HI Jean - I really like your work .

Black locust is a really strong wood that makes a great stick , it grows around Montreal .

I was wondering where did you get your adze from ? price , country of origin too .

thank you
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: adze         Reply with quote

Thomas Simpson wrote:
HI Jean - I really like your work .

Black locust is a really strong wood that makes a great stick , it grows around Montreal .

I was wondering where did you get your adze from ? price , country of origin too .

thank you

Price for the adze I don't exactly remember but probably more than $100 and less than $200 ( You might find it on their on-line catalogue in the link below )

I got the adze from the same place I buy my exotic woods: Langevin & Forest in Montreal

http://www.langevinforest.com/en The site has this English version but is also in French.

Not sure exactly where I could find black locus and be able to harvest it myself ?

Langevin & Forest has a wide selection of exotic woods so at least it's easy for me to find and select pieces that have nice colours and interesting grain patterns.

Glad you like the work, I just do it for my own pleasure and usually I make a new stick every month or two when inspiration strikes.

Thomas Simpson

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jul, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean - thanks for the link ! Adzes are the poor mans bandsaw . Happy

Black Locust likes sunlight , it often grows along the edges of fields and roads . The golden heartwood is very strong , cut it roughly to size as soon as you get in home but 6" longer because it will check on the ends , so seal the ends with some ordinary glue to slow down the checks. Let in dry slowly in a cool shady place for 6 weeks or so.
Radovan Geist

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jul, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is very inspiring! I´ll start working on couple of walking sticks myself, so it´s great to see your projects.
Btw, does anybody know about any book on historical waking sticks? I´m particularly interested in 16th-17th century. I saw couple of pictures here and there, plus some are depicted on period paintings, but I had found no systematic source so far. Thank you...
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jul, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Radovan Geist wrote:
This is very inspiring! I´ll start working on couple of walking sticks myself, so it´s great to see your projects.
Btw, does anybody know about any book on historical waking sticks? I´m particularly interested in 16th-17th century. I saw couple of pictures here and there, plus some are depicted on period paintings, but I had found no systematic source so far. Thank you...

Well, if people have information/pics about the history of walking stick in use by period and place etc .... please feel free to post it here.

As well if others have nice walking sticks they have bought or made I'm O.K. with people posting it here if they don't want to start their own DIY thread: This would keep walking sticks/canes all together in one Topic and more interesting.

I'll obviously post new pics of any new sticks I make on this Topic thread.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 11 Sep, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shorter version of the last Walking Staff, shorter Grenadillo head with less of the yellow sap wood, but still enough to give it a little bit of extra " flair ".

I initially used the butt spike from the Hanwei lance but the total length wasn't comfortable holding the stick over the top, and too short to hold it around the head, so I removed that tip and substituted the longer socket from the lance point after cutting of the point.

This worked great and the lines of the socket flow directly from the tapering White Oak.

Attachment: 98.95 KB
Stick14 01.JPG
New shorter stick next to the Walking Staff.

Attachment: 96.95 KB
Stick14 03.JPG
On the left the long socket from the Hanwey Lance head with the head cut off.

Attachment: 99.86 KB
Stick14 06.JPG
The new one on the right: The Octagonal shape continued on the brass top instead of rounded.

Attachment: 175.82 KB
Stick14 07.JPG
A little less yellow sap wood on this piece that was left over from making the Walking Staff head.

Attachment: 174.2 KB
Stick14 08.JPG
File work a little different, wider scallopped cuts.

Attachment: 142.24 KB
Stick14 09.JPG
Close up of file work: Drmel cutting wheel and hand filing.

Attachment: 111.59 KB
Stick14 12.JPG
Tip brass plate, octagonal.

Attachment: 102.04 KB
Stick14 13.JPG
Another angle of the file work.

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Wed 11 Sep, 2013 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Walking stickDIY Project
Page 3 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: