Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Norman Kite shields Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Peter Griffith

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Norman Kite shields         Reply with quote

Hello to everyone. My interest lies in shields of the Dark Ages. I have done a great extent of research on the standard old round warshield but am having major problems with the Kite shield of the 11 and 12 century. Does anyone know of a book as such that covers this subject. I have plenty on Saxon, Viking and general Anglo shields but very little on the kite. Can anyone help here.

P

Peter Griffith
Dutch Pond Historical Reproductions
"Norman, Saxon and Viking shiled maker"
Custom orders also
Eric Allen

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What do you want to know about them?

sizes? weights? construction? strapping?
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Although I am sure there are others out there, John Clement's Medieval Swordsmanship: Illustrated Methods and Techniques has a fairly extensive section on shields, their use and construction, including illustrations indicating various styles of strapping found on kite shields: http://www.myArmoury.com/books/search.php?Key...ndex=Books
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also, look at the " Book" feature at the top right of the home page and all the pages by the way.

If you try the search function you will also see many topics where shield or kite shield are mentioned: You may find some of the information you are looking for there as well.

You may not find a book talking about only shields but many books on the armour and weapons of the period you are interested in will have extensive sections dealing with shields.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We have an article on the shield that has some basic info and pictures. It also includes a Sources section that should help.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Peter Griffith

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mainly it is the sizes of these shields. I would think that they vary to the knight who had them made due to size. With men at arms would get whatever was issued I would believe. It would stand to reason to me that a man of say my size at 6'6" would need a shield a bit larger than say one of 5'6". The width also from the top to bottom would be helpful but I do thing (IMHO) that these would have varied also.

P

Peter Griffith
Custom orders also
Peter Griffith

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is one other point I forgot to check on. Curved vs. Flat! I have looked over as many pictures of effigys and chessmen and so forth and noticed that some of these shields where also flat. To me it is easier to make a flat plank shield than a curved one. I could see the knights haveing curved shields but would men at arms be armed the same way or would they have a cheaper flat shield. I am still up in the air on the boss issue. While I know by the time of the kite the boss was nothing more than decoration I would think that more shields would have been made without them than with them. The reason to me would be cost of making these. Makeing the round Saxon shields is a piece of cake for me but the kite shield has caught my fancy now.

Peter

Peter Griffith
Custom orders also
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sizes would varry, but over all, you want a shield that covers you from the shoulder to the knee, at the least, when held in front of you.
The "purpose" of the kite is achieve this coverage with a smaller, more manouverable shield than the large round shields, who could also be 1m+ in diameter. In effect, it removes the bits of shield that are not needed when you are standing in a closed formation.
Curved shields are better, for reasons of deflection and coverage; spear thrust that hit the shield at an angle might "slide of", and the curve also gives better protection against "low angle" spear thrusts from people down the line. I don't know if the varying curve is a result of the problems carving curved shields or actual variation.

As for the customization of shields, warriors of the period still paid for their own weaponry, rather than have them issued, so they would be made (or at least selected) for each individual.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Peter Griffith

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eling,
I thought that was the case. In perspective it is what the man could afford as to how the shield was made. Thanks for that bit of information.

Peter

Peter Griffith
Custom orders also
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As according to later, 13th century laws (Norwegian), a man that owned less than 6 marks should have a shield that had three iron fittings across the front, and three handstraps on the back. (In the older, 10th century version, the minimum shield is described in the same way, but with a "solid handle, with good rivets" on the back, indicating a round shield)
A more wealthy man was to own a "red shield". We do not know exactly what this means, but from contemporary artwork, we can be quite certain that it is a kite or heather, maybe with a hide covering.
We also know that they are made by professionals, as each maker is required by law to put his mark on each shield, so that he could be held accountable if it was sub-standard.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Peter Griffith

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I knew about the laws and such in England but did not know it was also on the continent. I believe the red may be the fact that it was expensive to make that dye if not mistaken. I could be wrong on that though.

Peter

Peter Griffith
Custom orders also
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
Sizes would varry, but over all, you want a shield that covers you from the shoulder to the knee, at the least, when held in front of you.
The "purpose" of the kite is achieve this coverage with a smaller, more manouverable shield than the large round shields, who could also be 1m+ in diameter. In effect, it removes the bits of shield that are not needed when you are standing in a closed formation.
Curved shields are better, for reasons of deflection and coverage; spear thrust that hit the shield at an angle might "slide of", and the curve also gives better protection against "low angle" spear thrusts from people down the line. I don't know if the varying curve is a result of the problems carving curved shields or actual variation.

As for the customization of shields, warriors of the period still paid for their own weaponry, rather than have them issued, so they would be made (or at least selected) for each individual.

Stephen Hand's article in Spada II is well worth reading. Deeply curved shields can be used quite differently from flat, or minimally curved, shields. Illustrations and carvings are quite clear in showing some shields that are very deeply curved, and others that are much flatter; it seems that the degree of curvature depended on the fighting style to be used.

Attachment: 58.47 KB
geoffrey5anjou.jpg

Philip C. Ryan

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jul, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ahh, your in my field of interest now. I have made several Norman kite shields over the years, some flat, some curved. Curving them is not hard once you get the hang of it. Here are a couple links to info regarding these shields that really helped me out when I was learning to construct them.

This shows various enarmes (strapping) configurations depicted in the Bayeux Tapestry.
http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/ar...armes.html

This is a good, although kind of short, description of the viking age shields (i.e what they were made from, how they were used).
http://www.regia.org/shields.htm

Here is a series of descriptive pics by Camric showing how to build a kite shield.
http://community.webshots.com/album/179993561rMwokb

Hope these help you out.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Norman Kite shields
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic