Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arms and Armor Custom German Bastard Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
That is beautiful. Makes me excited about my project I have going with A&A for over 4 years now...

Congrats on a seriously accurate and detailed beauty.

I remember reading a few days ago on SBG forum that one guy was visiting A&A workshop and saw a half finished two hander. Might that be your project? Just curious. Wink

Roger, that is seriously beautiful sword... Lately I found a new appreciation for hand and a half XIX blades and this one is a great example...
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka, I don't know for sure, but I think that two-hander was a different sword.

Here is another photo taken by Craig Johnson showing the full length with the extended fuller. I think it gives a better view of the sword in its full glory.

Attachment: 91.12 KB
fullsmr.jpg

Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Luka, I don't know for sure, but I think that two-hander was a different sword.

Here is another photo taken by Craig Johnson showing the full length with the extended fuller. I think it gives a better view of the sword in its full glory.

Definitely a much better picture! Captures the character of the sword better... Very nice

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, I was thinking about Chris Artman's project he mentioned. Happy
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Magnificent!

I've seen this sword up close many times. A&A definitely has a way with such hilts!

One of a kind really.
Mark T

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fantastic stuff by A&A as always. Spending a couple of days there recently with Craig and the crew gave me a much better sense of the passion they all bring to their work, as well as their dedication when working with clients.

Roger, do you know if Josh had a hand in this one's creation?

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark T wrote:
Roger, do you know if Josh had a hand in this one's creation?

Sorry, I don't know. I'll ask Craig Johnson
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Every time this topic gets bumped to the top I get a tinge of envy. Where's my Christmas present?
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Every time this topic gets bumped to the top I get a tinge of envy. Where's my Christmas present?
Well here is another " BUMP " to give you more goose bumps. ( Pun INTENDED, But sorry no present. Sad Wink Big Grin )

I really appreciate A&A complex hilts since I got the Dresden Rapier a few months back.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Benjamin Floyd II

PostPosted: Sun 09 Dec, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a very beautiful sword, but is the fuller not as wide as the original? It also seems like the bevel doesn't reach the fuller like the original. I can't tell if that's just the pics or what have you. Regardless, it looks very nice.
Krieg School of Historical Swordsmanship
A HEMA Alliance Affliate
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 09 Dec, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin Floyd II wrote:
That's a very beautiful sword, but is the fuller not as wide as the original? It also seems like the bevel doesn't reach the fuller like the original. I can't tell if that's just the pics or what have you. Regardless, it looks very nice.

Please have a look at the text in the original posts of this topic. The new sword is only inspired by the antique. There are many differences. The proportions and size of the two swords are vastly different from one another.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Antonio Ganarini

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Arms and Armor Custom German Bastard Sword         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
The fullers bear the inscription, "Signor". I don’t know the significance of the word – perhaps the owner’s name for the sword? – “Don’t mess with Signor!”

Wonderful sword, really!!! Eek!

In Italian "Signor" means simply "Mr.", but in my own Italian dialect (like in many other northern dialects) it means more specifically "Lord", speaking of someone's wealth, or "God".

e.g.: "L'è 'n signor" ("Lui è un signore" in official Italian) means plus or less: "He is a wealthy man", while "Signor aìdeme!" ("Aiutami Signore!") means: "Help me God!".

Ciao a tutti!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Arms and Armor Custom German Bastard Sword         Reply with quote

Antonio Ganarini wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:
The fullers bear the inscription, "Signor". I don’t know the significance of the word – perhaps the owner’s name for the sword? – “Don’t mess with Signor!”

Wonderful sword, really!!! Eek!

In Italian "Signor" means simply "Mr.", but in my own Italian dialect (like in many other northern dialects) it means more specifically "Lord", speaking of someone's wealth, or "God".

e.g.: "L'è 'n signor" ("Lui è un signore" in official Italian) means plus or less: "He is a wealthy man", while "Signor aìdeme!" ("Aiutami Signore!") means: "Help me God!".

Thank you!

Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Comparison         Reply with quote

Morning Everyone,

I have been meaning to add to this thread for days but have been so busy its the first chance I have had.

The grip does have a leather thong as the riser under the grip covering. This allows us to get the dimension we are after and shape it to get the cross section needed.

This sword turned out really well I think and is particularly handy in the actions of the Lichtenauer style of sword use.

I have attached a picture below comparing the original to Rogers version so people can see where the dimensional differences occured to turn this light side sword/rapier into a bastard sword.

The dimensions we structured the sword to where with in the specs envelope Roger provided and adjusting to the blade needs and structure of a bastard sword.

Best
Craig

SIde by Side of original b/w and the Hooper reproduction.

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nicely, nicely done Craig! What a fantastic piece!
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are a few more pictures showing the scabbard. It's a temptation to either pass on one of these or just to get a simple leather sheath, but I always regret it when I don't get a decent, wood core scabbard for a first class sword.

The sword is on its way to me now. When it arrives, I'll let you know how it looks and feels.

Attachment: 93.77 KB
RHscab01s.jpg

Attachment: 91.75 KB
RHscab02s.jpg

Attachment: 94.38 KB
RHscab04s.jpg

Chris Artman

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
Chris Artman wrote:
That is beautiful. Makes me excited about my project I have going with A&A for over 4 years now...

Congrats on a seriously accurate and detailed beauty.

I remember reading a few days ago on SBG forum that one guy was visiting A&A workshop and saw a half finished two hander. Might that be your project? Just curious. Wink.

Probably... It has been a 4 year work in progress so far... expectations are very high :-) I'm looking for a sculptured 3D masterpiece when complete. Very excited as it will be my heirloom piece.

Roger's sword is outstanding!!
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Here are a few more pictures showing the scabbard. It's a temptation to either pass on one of these or just to get a simple leather sheath, but I always regret it when I don't get a decent, wood core scabbard for a first class sword.

The sword is on its way to me now. When it arrives, I'll let you know how it looks and feels.

It would be hard to NOT go all out on a scabbard for that beauty.
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Fri 21 Dec, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sworsd was delivered today.

You've heard the old saying, The pictures don't do it justice. That certainly applies here. It is splendid, wonderful, beautiful - all those things.

At 4 lbs., it's no lightweight, but feels about a pound lighter. It is a sweet handling sword, graceful in its movements. It goes where you want and easily stops when and where you want it to. It can be used with just one hand if you wish, but like almost all bastard swords, is much better with two. A lot of this is surely due to the distal taper on the blade. See the dimensions earlier in this thread. It starts at .250 inches, thicker that most blades, and thins out from there in a linear fashion.

I am very happy with how this project turned out. Arms and Armor really know how to make a sword, and are at the top of this world.

Attachment: 98.36 KB
HoophiltAs.jpg

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 21 Dec, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rub it in, pal, rub it in.

No really, I'm happy for you. A nice Christmas surprise! Timing is everything, right?

i'd love to see some photos of all your customs together! You have a hell of a collection.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arms and Armor Custom German Bastard Sword
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: