Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Agamemnon's cuirass Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Nov, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Second that. An Excellent book. The pictures for the most part I'd assume would be fine in greyscale. And they are very nice reconstructions.

RPM
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: mitra         Reply with quote

Most rigid cuirasses stop at about navel level so as not to interfere with any flexibility around the abdomen, but this leaves the stomach vulnerable. The mitra was a metal plate that loosely hung off the bottom of the cuirass, attached with rings, to protect the stomach without hindering flexibility. There are a few examples in various museums and Homer mentions them more than once. I'm pretty sure that Agamemnon didn't wear a mitra plate but my reconstruction is getting one anyway. I want to see how they function and perhaps learn why they weren't used on later cuirasses. In addition, it is going to look very cool Happy

Attachment: 171.17 KB
Mitra-Jeff01.jpg

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books

Last edited by Dan Howard on Sun 17 Nov, 2013 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: mitra         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
In addition, it is going to look very cool Happy

Yah, no kidding! Did I mention jealousy, by the way?

Matthew
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Thu 13 Feb, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The pauldrons are coming along.

Attachment: 217.02 KB
12500342085_ac965bf711_z.jpg

Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Fri 14 Feb, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sweeeeeeeeeet!
William P

PostPosted: Sun 16 Feb, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am loving those pauldrons... it still, slightly boggles my mind that bronze age armour pretty much was creating full suitsof plate armour.to an extent, a good 2000-3000 years before the reintroduction of full plate in the medieval period.. so seeing things like this and the dendra panoply is just a wow moment.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rear view

Attachment: 175.44 KB
pauldrons02.jpg
pauldron - rear

Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The herringbone borders really bring the two pauldrons together.
"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Agamemnon's cuirass         Reply with quote

That cuirass! I feel like I'm seeing things. Surprised

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would have sworn that I had commented on this one before and I checked the previous posts and I see that I didn't make a comment before. Surprised Blush ( Maybe I did comment and it disappeared in the HDD crash ? )

Nice to see the progress in this one and the extreme level of skill it must take to control the shape of all those closely spaced ridges.

This is also a real piece of fine arts ...... WOW Big Grin Cool

And I also agree that they could have made full plate armour if they wanted to. ( And they got fairly close to full plate with arm and forearm armour, as well as plate protecting the upper leg, lower leg and the top of the foot )

"Princes" and " Heroic " warriors using chariots for mobility and often fighting individual duels would probably appreciate all the extra armour, while the later Greek Warriors gave priority to mobility and only protecting the more vulnerable parts of the body when fighting as heavy infantry in a phalanx. ( Or at least this is what I believe to be true, but I'm ready to be corrected if I'm wrong or oversimplifying Wink )

One could also add the cost factor of armouring an entire army in full plate armour and having them wear it in a very hot climate when on foot and running a lot .....

The mitra plate might be annoying flapping around the " essentials " when running without a cup ? Wink Razz

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Wed 19 Feb, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are a few differences that would make Bronze Age plate a lot less comfortable than late medieval plate. The main three would be:

1. The armour was lined with a few layers of cloth and then strapped to the body rather than being pointed to a properly tailored arming doublet..
2. The plates are attached to each other with leather lacing instead of being articulated with sliding rivets.
3. They didn't have mail.

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 19 Feb, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
There are a few differences that would make Bronze Age plate a lot less comfortable than late medieval plate. The main three would be:

1. The armour was lined with a few layers of cloth and then strapped to the body rather than being pointed to a properly tailored arming doublet..
2. The plates are attached to each other with leather lacing instead of being articulated with sliding rivets.

Thanks for the reply Howard, and as you add " nuance " to the superficial comparison to Medieval plate armour: It wasn't quite as comfortable or evolved.

The plates on arms or legs used, at least in part, the springiness of the metal to mostly hold them in place on the limbs the same way as the greaves I believe.

And with no maile there would still be vulnerable gaps at the joints and where the edges of the springy armour would " almost " meet.

( Obviously not telling things you don't already know, assuming that I am correct, but just for the sake of others reading the Topic who might not, and again you can correct any errors I might make here since this is really your area of expertise ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Wed 19 Feb, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Jean Thibodeau"]
Dan Howard wrote:

Thanks for the reply Howard, and as you add " nuance " to the superficial comparison to Medieval plate armour: It wasn't quite as comfortable or evolved.

The plates on arms or legs used, at least in part, the springiness of the metal to mostly hold them in place on the limbs the same way as the greaves I believe.

And with no maile there would still be vulnerable gaps at the joints and where the edges of the springy armour would " almost " meet.

( Obviously not telling things you don't already know, assuming that I am correct, but just for the sake of others reading the Topic who might not, and again you can correct any errors I might make here since this is really your area of expertise ).[/quote Also, if we are just going by the Dendra panopy, they hadn't figured out to make individual knee articulations so in order to cover both those areas, they had to use very large bronze articulated skirt. I had a argument with lindybiege over description of Achilles armor by Homer, in which I stated that the description that n the illiad of being so well armoured that you couldn't recognize him when he wore his armor was a device to indicate he was armoured that much more people than his day, not that he was covered in Bronze full plate armor, because, as the Dendra panpoly shows and other posts here show, you couldn't fight very effectively on foot in bronze cap and pie. So, unless Achilles was a chairiot driver, I don't think he ran around wearing bronze age full plate armour.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Wed 19 Feb, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've gone through the Iliad many times and can't find a description of Achilles' armour anywhere. The only reason that Patroklos was confused with Achilles was because the helmet concealed his face. It had nothing to do with how well the armour covered his body. There is nowhere near enough info to have any idea how to reconstruct Achilles' armour. His helmet and shield, yes, but not his armour. We are told nothing except that his cuirass was made of bronze and his greaves were made of tin. That's it! Considering his epithet of "swift-footed", one could argue that he is more lightly armoured than his peers - perhaps an Argos cuirass, a helmet, and a pair of greaves and nothing else.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Wed 19 Feb, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Springy, form-fitting greaves are about five hundred years later. As far as we can tell, limb armour was simply held in place by wrapping leather thong around it or by attaching it to a textile under-armour and then lacing the under-armour to the limb.

Dan Howard

PostPosted: Thu 06 Mar, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pauldrons are pretty much finished. Jeff is doing some impressive work.

Attachment: 209.65 KB
Agamemnon-cuirass&pauldron01.jpg

Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's turning out quite fantastic!
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Devon Fraser Pollock

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That may be the single most attractive piece of armour I have ever laid eyes upon. Jeff is an incredibly talented man. I am really envious. Not just of the armour, but because you have the bank account to afford it :-P
"May those that love you, love you. And those that don't love you, may god turn their hearts. And those whose hearts cannot be turned, may he turn their ankle so you will know them by their limp" - Scottish blessing
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would be very pleased to see that exactly as pictured and described in this post displayed at a museum. Its fantastic. Thanks for sharing Dan.

Jared

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

looks o.k., I guess
I mean, if you *like* that sor tof thing...

By which, of course, I mean it is absolutely stunning.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Agamemnon's cuirass
Page 2 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: