Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Talhoffer and blade sharpness Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 19 Dec, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Talhoffer and blade sharpness         Reply with quote

A brief question,

I've been looking over Talhoffer's work and noticed that many of his moves involve grasping the opponents blade, or even (in the case of the murder stroke) one's own blade. His illustrations show this being done with the bare hand...

It occurs to me that:

The blades used in the fencing schools were blunts, and one would use some sort of protection (gauntlets?) with the real thing.

-- or --

As the the point of the long sword was the most important part at this time, the edges were simply not as keen as they had been at other times and one could perform these feats bare-handed.

I note the illustrations show many of these attacks resulting in fatalities, which suggests it is not meant to be representative of training with blunts... but then it might not be good to push the illustrations to far.

All I know is I wouldn't want to use the murder stroke if my blade was sharp and my hands were bare! Can anyone offer any input on either of these points (Blade sharpness or period appropriate hand protection)?

Thanks,

David
David R. Glier

PostPosted: Sun 19 Dec, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I feel a hell of a lot more *comfortable* with gloves, but I've done the murderstroke without gloves with a sharp... it's not a foregone conclusion that you'll cut yourself. Keep your grip tight enough and you ought to be fine.
Benjamin McCracken

PostPosted: Sun 19 Dec, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David,
It may be that the illustrations were done without armour for the purpose of more adequately showing how to perform the move. I don't think I would grab my blade without some sort of gloves on. You may win the fight , but severing a tendon would be a good way to end a career.
The plate also could be of a blunt training blade. Who knows. I'm interested in seeing what others have to say.

Ben
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 19 Dec, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There're a couple of things with grasping a blade. First, they definately are showing unarmored techniques: Armored techniques look very different (plus Talhoffer already has a separate section showing armored combatants).

Technically, you can grab a sharp blade safely. The pressure of your hands will be more along the flats, and as long as you have a firm grip on the blade and do not allow your hands to slide. That said, there may be more going on here than is readily apparent.

The combatants illustrated are not supposed to be students in training, they are supposed to be fighters in a judicial duel, hell bent on killing the other guy. So the swords were definately sharps. But if you look at the blades, you can see they tend to sharply taper, much like an Oakeshott XVa or XVII, swords that are not fully cut-oriented. Some experts believe that these are swords that, while sharp, are not exactly razors, allowing half-swording to be done more easily. I recently owned an Albion Landgraf, and found it was not hard at all to perform half-swording techniques due to it's blade geometry.

Another possibility is that the swords may be sharper towards the tip than the base. The 15th century Italian master Filippo Vadi recommended having a sword that was only sharpened near the tip (he has a specific length of sharpness, and I can't remember what it is off the top of my head... will check and get back to you).

Another possibility is that the combatants may actually have worn gloves: In the 1467 Talhoffer fechtbuch, plate 44 reads "Ain hefften In Hentschuch." Mark Rector's translation interprets this to be a strike to the hands, but someone pointed out to me that this translates to meaning a strike to the glove. Depending on how you interpret this, it is possible that there is some artistic license here in showing bare hands (though other manuals, such as Codex Wallerstein, also show bare hands as well).
Benjamin McCracken

PostPosted: Sun 19 Dec, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill thanks for the great info. I was going to say this before but I hesitated. I had the pleasure of sitting in on a murder trial when I was interning at the prosecutor's office in Detroit. In that case one man stabed another with a steak knife. To make an awful story short, the murderer's hand slipped off the handle of the knife and he cut his hand severely while stabbing his victim. If a simple steak knife can really cut to the bone while stabing a real live person, a sword would have to react somewhat similarly. Right?

Ben
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 19 Dec, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin McCracken wrote:
If a simple steak knife can really cut to the bone while stabing a real live person, a sword would have to react somewhat similarly. Right?

A lot of people would argue that our tender modern hands are very different from those of a medieval fighter. Happy Also, don't forget that a kitchen knife has a much thinner/sharper blade geometry than a sword.

On top of that, keep in mind the difference between accidently losing your grip and sliding onto the knife vs. training to intentionally grasp a blade.

But, I found that Vadi quote. At the end of chapter II he says the blade should be sharpened "four fingers from the tip". Though it also turns out he's talking about it for use in armor, so it's debatable how much it applies here.
David R. Glier

PostPosted: Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't underestimate the effect of blade geometry on cutting ability. I was given a rude shock when I ried to cut with a type XV Mad
I wouldn't think twice about gripping such a blade, even to squeeze as hard as I could. As long as my hand doesn't slip, I'm safe.
David McElrea

PostPosted: Mon 20 Dec, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thanks for your responses (and Bill-- your knowledge of the Fechtbuchs is most impressive)!

I haven't yet held a Type XV so I'll take your word for it that it's possible to grasp the blade with bare hands without injuring oneself, but... I have no experience with the murderstroke whatsoever, so please take this next sentence as a question and not as argument...

I can imagine holding the blade tightly and swinging without harm being done to the hands, but wouldn't a forceful impact (such as is the intent with the murder stroke) drive the blade quite deeply into one's own hands? Also, with regard to grasping your opponent's blade, you'll likely be grabbing hold of it while it is in motion-- which also seems a bit dodgy for someone wanting to keep the use of his fingers.

Again, the points that have been raised so far hint towards different possibilities.

1. The blade may be slightly duller until you reach "four fingers from the tip".

2. The blade geometry alone may offer the protection required.

3. As the scenes illustrate judicial duels, perhaps the combatants are accepting some damage to their hands in return for a certain victory (a la the rapier grasping scene in "Rob Roy"). These are, after all, duels to the death, and the loser doesn't just die-- his loss brands him a criminal. The weakness in this last point is that no victory is certain until the opponent is down. Would one risk the full use of one or both hands?

Has anyone been able to handle historical examples of these blades? It would be interesting to know if there are hints to be found there.

Thanks,

David
Alberto Dainese

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Dec, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David McElrea wrote:

3. As the scenes illustrate judicial duels, perhaps the combatants are accepting some damage to their hands in return for a certain victory
David

I think it wouldn't be written in fetchbuchen. Grabbing your opponent's blade it's a quite common technique in such manuals and I think that sacrifice of your own hand wouldn't be a "good fencing" example.

Ciao
Alberto...
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 20 Dec, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David McElrea wrote:

(and Bill-- your knowledge of the Fechtbuchs is most impressive)!

Thanks, David! But really, I'm pretty small time compared to a lot of the really big guys. Over on SFI's HES forum, some of those guys dumbfound me with just how well they understand not just the treatises, but with the context surrounding them. A lot of us are very lucky to have been able to stand on the shoulders of giants who did the major research and translations for us.

Quote:
I can imagine holding the blade tightly and swinging without harm being done to the hands, but wouldn't a forceful impact (such as is the intent with the murder stroke) drive the blade quite deeply into one's own hands?

The murder stroke is a funny little guy. It's actually a pretty rare strike, though it's shown a lot in Talhoffer. Then again, Talhoffer is known for showing a lot of "tricks" of fighting, almost as an advertisement to prospective students at what he'd teach them. It's actually a little misunderstood, and receives a lot of attention probably for that reason. It's basically done after one has half-sworded and feinted with a thrust. As the opponent pushes the tip aside, you "go with the flow", so to speak (a familiar concept in martial arts) and allow the tip to be pushed aside as you bring the hilt around to strike.

I've done this with pumpkins (lots of fun, but really messy... don't do this if you want to keep your hilt clean!). It depends on the sword a lot as to how much shock goes to the hands. As mentioned previously, edge geometry has a lot to do with it. Another thing is blade stiffness: This strike is really hard to do with a very flexible blade, and there's a lot more shock to the hands. A stiff blade, on the other hand, feels much better and you don't feel it as much on impact.

Quote:
Also, with regard to grasping your opponent's blade, you'll likely be grabbing hold of it while it is in motion-- which also seems a bit dodgy for someone wanting to keep the use of his fingers.

You're right that it's dodgy. Talhoffer most likely isn't actually showing anyone grabbing a blade in motion, rather this is an illusion based on looking at pictures "freeze framed" in time. But other texts that show grasping the blade do so AFTER the blade has been stopped, and there's good reason to believe Talhoffer is as well. In some cases it's obvious, in other's it's more implied, and other cases it's not mentioned, so we have to use other sources to infer what's going on.

Years ago Talhoffer was one of the few available sources, mostly because it had pictures and little text to translate. Back then (not all that long ago, really), most groups (including mine) were using it as a main source. Now that so much more is available (Christian Tobler's work translations in particular), Talhoffer really serves more to fill in gaps in the other treatises rather than as a stand alone "how to" manual.

Alberto Dainese wrote:
Quote:
David McElrea wrote:

3. As the scenes illustrate judicial duels, perhaps the combatants are accepting some damage to their hands in return for a certain victory
David

I think it wouldn't be written in fetchbuchen. Grabbing your opponent's blade it's a quite common technique in such manuals and I think that sacrifice of your own hand wouldn't be a "good fencing" example.

Right on.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The most imprtant aspect of grabbing a shap blade is constantly overlooked in these discussions:
The type of blade used in a very narrow one.
They use type XVa swords or a very narrow version of XVIIIb swords. As a rule the edges taper straight to an awl shaped point.
The blade width at the middle is about one inch or less.

To get an idea off what this means compare the "Landgraf", "Sempach" or "Castellan" with the "Regent" or "Viceroy" in the NG line, for example.
The first three can be used very effectively in halfswording, while the last two are less well suited for such techniques.
The coming XVa blade used in the "Agincourt" and "Talhoffer" is specifically made with halfswording in mind.

The type of blade many practitioners of WMA favors today has a thin, flexible XVIIIb type of blade: one that is well suited for quick and exact cutting delivered with little effort. A beautifull type of sword, but it is not the one that is usually depicted in the manuals. Those swords are more narrow and much more pointy. This means they are also pretty thick and stiff.
A narrow, stiff and fairly thick blade can be grasped even if it is sharp. It is much less a question of sharpness than blade shape and sectional geometry.

This fact is as a rule overlooked whenever this question is discussed and much confusion comes from this.
Do not expect to use halfswording techniques with thin flexible and medium wide blades. They are not well suited for such work.
David McElrea

PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Quote:
The murder stroke is a funny little guy. It's actually a pretty rare strike, though it's shown a lot in Talhoffer. Then again, Talhoffer is known for showing a lot of "tricks" of fighting, almost as an advertisement to prospective students at what he'd teach them. It's actually a little misunderstood, and receives a lot of attention probably for that reason. It's basically done after one has half-sworded and feinted with a thrust. As the opponent pushes the tip aside, you "go with the flow", so to speak (a familiar concept in martial arts) and allow the tip to be pushed aside as you bring the hilt around to strike.

Thanks, Bill-- I have to admit I was wondering when the murder stroke would actually come into play. It seems like all the advantages lie in using the pointy end rather than the hilt/cross, but it wouldn't be in the fechtbuchs unless it was a workable attack. Your example helps alot.

David
David McElrea

PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
Quote:
The most imprtant aspect of grabbing a shap blade is constantly overlooked in these discussions...

Thanks Peter-- I was hoping you'd join us as the "Talhoffer NG" was what sent me back to Talhoffer himself Happy

Part of the problem for me is I have never handled one of these types of blades, so the details regarding the XVa's geometry didn't immediately occur to me. (I very gingerly tried grasping my Baron by the blade, holding it as tightly as I dared... needless to say, it didn't lend itself to being used in the ways described above Happy ).

Cheers everyone-- I have been learning lots!

David
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David McElrea wrote:
...(I very gingerly tried grasping my Baron by the blade, holding it as tightly as I dared... needless to say, it didn't lend itself to being used in the ways described above Happy ).

Cheers everyone-- I have been learning lots!

David

Exactly!

The "Baron" or "Duke" are no candidates for halfswording.
You need blades of type XV, XVII or narrow XVIIIa/b/e.

A flexible blade also partly defeats the purpose of these techniques as you are better off with a stiff blade for these thrusts and "windings" (is this the correct term here?)

I guess there is a reason we see all these different types of blade syles... Happy

Reading your initial post, I thought I might add this:
These narrow and stiff longswords are not useless in cutting. They perform pretty well, actually despite the fact that they are not thin and that they do have some mass. A typical weight would be 1.3-1.8 kilos.
Still they handle with ease and elegance.
The very stiffness of the blade helps in the cutting. No wobbly snaking as it passes through the target.
The stiffness is also important in the displacing of your opponent attacks. If the sword is too flexible it will not have the authority to do this well.
My experience in cutting with these narrow pointy and rather thick blades, tells me they are fearsome weapons regardless if you use the point or the edge.
With the right outline and cross section, we need not seek complicated explanations of different types of sharpness/bluntness. It becomes rather obvious when you compare a wide bodied XVIIIa/b and a narrow XVa.

The wide base of the XVa blades also serve a purpose in providing stiffness in the direction between the edges. If the blade was narrow also at the base it would be less efficient in cutting. The width of the base provide stability to the cutting section while at the same time concentrating mass towards the hilt. This is important if the sword is to have proper dynamic balance (*dynamic*balance as it is felt when the sword is put in motion, as opposed to when it´s "balanced" over your finger to determine the centre of gravity).
All these aspects taken together makes the XVa family one of the most elegant designs around. I think they are not appreciated enough, I think. They are among the most handy, agile, versatile and deadly designs there is.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2004 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David R. Glier wrote:
Don't underestimate the effect of blade geometry on cutting ability. I was given a rude shock when I ried to cut with a type XV Mad
I wouldn't think twice about gripping such a blade, even to squeeze as hard as I could. As long as my hand doesn't slip, I'm safe.

Interesting!

Can you describe the sword you used?
How was it sharpened?
What did the outline and cross section look like?
Do you have a photo of the sword?
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 21 Dec, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for chiming in, Peter!

I'm glad to hear I'm not pulling this theory of the blade type used out of nowhere. Happy I agree with you that it is often overlooked, which is why it's so important to look at many factors and sources when studying these manuscripts (and studying anything, really). Thanks for your input!
David R. Glier

PostPosted: Fri 24 Dec, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter: I used to. I'll have to take a few more. It's the Armart S-6, if you're familiar with that line, a one-handed example of either a type XV with an unusualy rounded point, or an XVIII with an unusualy narrow blade, with a rather stout flattened diamond (not hollow-ground) cross-section and an (I think) underweight pommel for the weight of the blade.

I've tried experementing with the murder stroke -hitting soft targets, picking up weights to see how much force I could stand in hooking something, and I feel relatively safe picking up as much as twenty pounds with the cross, but not much more! Enough to hook a blade, or catch someone by the ear and turn their head around quite handily, but not much beyond than that.
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 25 Dec, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This can be done on sharp swords with bare hands. Both swords shown in the photos were fully sharpened and had been used in test cutting. The katana was cold steel, the longsword was German Bastard Sword from Arms and Armors. And I was grabbing the part of the blade that is used for cutting, so it's fully sharpened. Morever, I was holding the whole sword's weight with just the grip on the blade. So you can see this can actually be done without causing injury (you just have to grip tight and be careful. Happy

Ancient Combat Association —http://www.acahk.org
Realistic Sparring Weapons — http://www.rsw.com.hk
Nightstalkers — http://www.nightstalkers.com.hk
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

PostPosted: Sat 25 Dec, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lancelot Chan wrote:
This can be done on sharp swords with bare hands. Both swords shown in the photos were fully sharpened and had been used in test cutting. The katana was cold steel, the longsword was German Bastard Sword from Arms and Armors. And I was grabbing the part of the blade that is used for cutting, so it's fully sharpened. Morever, I was holding the whole sword's weight with just the grip on the blade. So you can see this can actually be done without causing injury (you just have to grip tight and be careful. Happy

Hi Lancelot,

I agree that a very sharp blade canbe held in hand, but I think that half-swording is trickier. In the pictures you are showing, there is no force being applied on the swords other than gravity. During half-swording the sword is often used as leverage to push your opponents sword aside and thus create an opening. This means that there is a decent force applied on the blade during the pushing or striking.

I would think that ar lest the wide blade of the A&A sword is not very good candidate for half-swording, even though, as you have shown, the blade could be held statically with bare hand without cutting oneself.

Alexi

Last edited by Alexi Goranov on Sat 25 Dec, 2004 9:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
David McElrea

PostPosted: Sat 25 Dec, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Lancelot,

I'd agree with Alexi. My question wasn't so much whether one can hold a sharp blade, but how one could grasp a sharp blade in ones hands and then smash someone in the head with the hilt and not lose fingers. Alternatively how could you grasp an opponents blade-- and I imagine he will be doing his utmost to yank it free-- without doing yourself great harm?

With the Baron I could land soft blows on the mattress of my bed, but I could feel that sensation that tells you your skin is close to breaking. I couldn't imagine really trying to hammer someone this way (well... I could, but I'd rather not Happy ).

As mentioned by others, it seems certain swords are suited to half-swording/murder strokes/grasping enemy blades; others are not. The XIIa is not (and I suspect the katana isn't either, but then I'm not that familiar with Japanese blades).

Cheers,

David

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Talhoffer and blade sharpness
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: