Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Companion Dirk set for one incredible VE Basket Hilt Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Companion Dirk set for one incredible VE Basket Hilt         Reply with quote

Remember that incredible inlayed/engraved award winning baskethilt that Vince Evans did awhile back ? (see 1st attachment)

Well here is the beautiful companion dirk set he's just made that its lucky owner will be able to wear in Chieftan-matching style!

Vince never ceases to amaze, and I'm forever left in awe of his God given talent.

Wonderful work, Vince, & thank you for sharing it with us ! Mac

Attachment: 87.16 KB
Inlaid Basket 30 Resized.JPG

Attachment: 60.38 KB
Dirk Set 3.jpg

Attachment: 104.14 KB
Dirk Set 4.jpg

Attachment: 73.16 KB
Dirk Set 7.jpg

Attachment: 60.49 KB
Dirk Set 5.jpg

Attachment: 65.85 KB
Dirk Set 8.jpg

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Martin Wilkinson

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's all absolutely stunning... *jealous*
"A bullet you see may go anywhere, but steel's, almost bound to go somewhere."

Schola Gladiatoria
Virak Ung

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Companion daggers always have given me as much interest as the swords really. This, as always, is just a beautiful example of these daggers. I spoke to Vince at the Vegas Show some time ago in 2005 I think and he told me some great things such as when it was actually fashionable to wear the fork and knife with the dagger. I'm not really versed in Scottish weapons so I'll bow out and let Mac or somebody else fill us in, but Vince's work is breathtaking, and I can't wait to see him in Atlanta. And if I can get there in time, hopefully, I can get a peice.
Life is too short for drama

Virak
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Virak Ung wrote:
Companion daggers always have given me as much interest as the swords really. This, as always, is just a beautiful example of these daggers. I spoke to Vince at the Vegas Show some time ago in 2005 I think and he told me some great things such as when it was actually fashionable to wear the fork and knife with the dagger. I'm not really versed in Scottish weapons so I'll bow out and let Mac or somebody else fill us in, but Vince's work is breathtaking, and I can't wait to see him in Atlanta. And if I can get there in time, hopefully, I can get a peice.

You had probably better get there on Thursday then, typically his pieces are snapped up as they come out of the boxes... Happy

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Virak Ung

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Virak Ung wrote:

You had probably better get there on Thursday then, typically his pieces are snapped up as they come out of the boxes... Happy

That is exactly when I'm going. I'm arriving Thursday. Will you be there Russ? Happy

Virak
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! What wonderful work! Takes your breath away!

Mac...I hate to ask this question - but as I am a banker by trade and so am constantly faced with valuing things, what does Vince get for something like the sword and the dirk? Whatever it is I am sure it won't be enough. I have seen photos of his blades before, but never in such detail. It brings tears to the eyes.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

... Eek! ... Fantastic... Fit for a king or a chief!

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Virak Ung wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:
Virak Ung wrote:

That is exactly when I'm going. I'm arriving Thursday. Will you be there Russ? Happy

Why yes, yes I am.... Wink

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin Robinson wrote:
Wow! What wonderful work! Takes your breath away!

Mac...I hate to ask this question - but as I am a banker by trade and so am constantly faced with valuing things, what does Vince get for something like the sword and the dirk? Whatever it is I am sure it won't be enough. I have seen photos of his blades before, but never in such detail. It brings tears to the eyes.

I might suggest doing a search on the classified ads section of this very forum. There were several VE swords, baskethilts, cruciforms, etc. That have been sold in the last year or so on the secondary market. I assume that the prices went up a little on said pieces not down though I do not know that for a fact.

Virak Ung

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Virak Ung wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:
Virak Ung wrote:

Why yes, yes I am.... Wink

I'll be lookin' for you then buddy. I'm gonna see if I can scoot over to Vince's table and see if I can put my hand on something before it gets to busy. Laughing Out Loud

Virak
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:

I might suggest doing a search on the classified ads section of this very forum. There were several VE swords, baskethilts, cruciforms, etc. That have been sold in the last year or so on the secondary market. I assume that the prices went up a little on said pieces not down though I do not know that for a fact.

Russ...

You ain't gonna believe this, but I had never been in the Marketplace before today. And now I am wishing I had not looked. My budget may be permanently wrecked, although the wife may have something to say about that. Thanks for the tip. I did find some of Vince's work and I am sure I cannot afford it. Still, it is great stuff.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Virak Ung wrote:

I'll be lookin' for you then buddy. I'm gonna see if I can scoot over to Vince's table and see if I can put my hand on something before it gets to busy. Laughing Out Loud

Cool! I'm the short stumpy guy with the wooden leg and the eye patch... Happy Seriously good luck with your quest for an Evans piece. I never get there fast enough at shows although I was fortunate enough to be able to do some fancy finagling earlier this year and get a Vince Evans High Medieval piece which he doesn't produce a lot of these days. If you are fortunate enough to purchase a piece you can show it off and I can drool over it and if you are not we can sit about and be miserable together. Happy In either event having a chance to pass a few minutes with Mr. Evans and Mrs. Evans it always a treat and one of the high points of the show every year for me.

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin Robinson wrote:

Russ...

You ain't gonna believe this, but I had never been in the Marketplace before today. And now I am wishing I had not looked. My budget may be permanently wrecked, although the wife may have something to say about that. Thanks for the tip. I did find some of Vince's work and I am sure I cannot afford it. Still, it is great stuff.

Big Grin Sorry to bring such a source of temptation into your life. Happy However, it's not as bad as you think. It's all a matter of priorities... that sounds like a joke or like I'm being flippant but honestly neither is the case. For instance, how often do you eat lunch away from the office? Say it's twice a week at ten dollars a pop. Bring a sandwich one of those day instead and put that money away. At the end of the year you've got 520 dollars (like I've got to explain this to a banker for heaven's sake!!!) Happy The point I'm trying to make is although it sounds crazy to spend the money for a higher end piece (oh and by the way Mr. Evan's pieces are DESPERATELY underpriced) if you shave a little here and a little there and don't impact the family bottom line to get to your goal it's not anything like impossible to put the necessary funds together. You've got the time too. In the last year or so a rash of Evan's pieces came on the market (briefly I might add). Most of those came from Mac's collection (the single biggest hoard that I've seen go up for sale) other than that there were 3 other swords and 2 pattern welded spear heads that I'm aware of. That's the most I've EVER seen in a year. Typically there are none, so you have plenty of time to put your money together. Then it's either time to head for the Blade show in June and hope to get lucky or alternately watch the secondary market like a hawk. When a Evan's piece comes up for sale MOVE on it. Even if it's not exactly the piece that you want but perhaps close... because the opportunities don't come around all that often.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Companion Dirk set for one incredible VE Basket Hilt
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic