Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My first sword - some help? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jacob Cash

PostPosted: Mon 09 Mar, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Time for some thread necromancy. Mods, if this is somehow not allowed, please forgive me, but it is along the same topic.

So after a few months, a move, and a new job, I've found myself coming back to this expensive hobby once more. This time, I've had my eye on the Albion Regent. I love the classic style of the guard, and the fishtail pommel has been growing on me the longer I look at it. Though I am also still a bit tight on funds at the moment, it hasn't stopped me from wanting to own one of those beautiful weapons from Albion.

My conundrum now is this, do I get the Regent? Or should I look toward other blades that might function similarly, but cost less? I do know that the Earl is the same sword as the Regent, just with different hilt components. It's cheaper too, which is a nice thing. And I do adore the Sempach, and have still had an eye on the Crecy and Talhoffer. Though for the $1500+ for the Regent, I know that I could probably get one, and put a down payment on another. ;_;

But, I'm open to any suggestions as to what I should get. I'm extremely new to sword collecting, but it is always something I've wanted to do. For my first sword, I want it to look great, be able to cut and thrust well, and handle as a true weapon of the period should. Oh how my wallet is going to hate me.

Cheers guys.

"Keep sharp both blade and mind."
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 09 Mar, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It sounds like you are trying to make your decision using your head only. Trying checking in and noticing the sensations you feel in your heart area and your gut. Which of the swords listed "feels" most right for you? That's your first sword.
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 09 Mar, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jacob,
Have you inquired if there any HEMA or ARMA groups near you? If so, they would likely be eager to meet you and show you some pieces that the group members own. Your preferences could firm up after some experience, and evaluating what you will actually end up doing with a sword should you purchase it. If you do get a sword, you will probably come to appreciate the value of slowly and carefully learning some of their student longsword drills with a waster.

I do not regret having purchased the Crecy as my first sword, and still would recommend it as a "do everything first real sword" to a new longsword junkie. But about ten years later, an improved budget, and desire for more distinct collection pieces led me to replace the Crecy. ( I have a Sempach, and Munich as example longswords.) Today, if I really wanted a "beater" for test cutting, possible dings and scuffs, maybe even a light rust patina, there are more economical but perfectly good performing quality options for that.

Jared

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Jacob Cash

PostPosted: Tue 10 Mar, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig:

As of right now, the one I'm drawn to the most is the Regent. What gets me is the price tag. x.x

Jared:

I have looked around for HEMA groups near me, but haven't had any luck regarding that. I do adore the blade of the Crecy. It has a beautiful grace to it. However what gets me every time I look at the sword as a whole is the hilt. :/ The guard is too short for my tastes, the grip seems a bit fat, and I dislike wheel pommels in general on longswords. I guess being picky does have its price.

Edit: Also, I am aware of the less expensive options such as Windlass, Darksword Armory, Hanwei, Valiant Arms, etc. But I am a person who wants their swords to handle the way and be as close to historical as possible. So far only Albion and Arms&Armor seem to do that as far as high end production swords go.

"Keep sharp both blade and mind."
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 10 Mar, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You've already looked at Valiant, right?

An alternative to the Albion Regent, might be the Valiant Armory Arundel They are a good, less costly choice. They aren't the absolute best swords, but IMO, the best in their price range. You also get a scabbard and belt for that price.

Sonny will also work with you, if you want some hilt variations. You'll have to watch out that you don't come up with anything really historically inaccurate, but keep this in mind. It wasn't that unusual for a later hilt type to be placed on an earlier surviving blade (but not the other way around)
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As a guitar player, I won't buy a guitar based on looks, although it might be tempting at times. I need to play it first - the sound trumps the looks EVERY TIME. Of course the reason is plain - the purpose of the guitar is to make music.

Unless you plan to only display the sword, a similar line of reasoning should be employed. While the looks of the sword may figure more prominently than the looks of a guitar, the reason for the swords existence is its music, which cannot be determined by sight. You should play it before you decide.
J. K. Byrnes

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have both the Sempach, and the Regent. really couldn't ask for much different swords. Both are great swords, both track very well. The Sempach, because of the pommel, has a shorter useable grip. I prefer longer grips. I have only cut with the Regent, it was a passable cutter. But that is not a disparagement on the blade, it is a fact of a hollow ground, sharply tapering type XVIIIb.

Personally, between the two, with money as no object, I prefer my Regent. But the Sempch is a very cool sword in it's own right. Feel free to send me a PM if you would like.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My first sword - some help?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: