Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hello my name is Russ and... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Hello my name is Russ and...         Reply with quote

Yeah apparently I'm an addict. You see less then two months ago I got my custom longsword from Jake Powning. It's an amazing piece and one I'm proud to own. Sometime this month I expect that I'll probably be getting my Svante Sture sword from the fine folks at Albion. As part of my quest to get my gallery featured on this site I was told I need an impact weapon and a dagger to go with the swords. So, I called up the folks at Arms and Armor late last week to order their musketeer dagger (slightly modified to match my Bavarian rapier) well one thing led to another and I find that I've ordered the musketeer dagger AND the sword of St. Maurice. This before the Svante even shows up. Sigh... yes I do feel better for getting that off my chest. Okay gentlemen fess up what do you have on order?
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patern Welded Vikiing Sword by Jake Powning
Howard Clark L6 Katana (being reforged)
Albion Sheriff

As soon as the Powning and Clark pieces come in I have a few projects I'm going to be discussing with Patrick Barta.
David Kite

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I have nothing on order now because they've both just arrived (on the same day even!), but I did have to get a loan from the bank to finance them.

A&A's Durer Bastard Sword

Albion's Museum Line Solingen (which I hope to have reviewed by next spring)

David Kite
ARMA in IN
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kind of a Christmas present to myself... as of last week, on order is a Darkwood Armory Arms & Sidering backsword....

("I can quit anytime I want to, it's just that....I don't want to...........) Wink

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ;

Oh,need an impact weapon do you! Quick call back A&A and get that Pole Axe! See NOW YOU HAVE TO!

(I feel so EVIL tempting you like this.........just got a job offer from Lucifer...........LOL.)

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have nothing on order now, nor will I until I'm back in the U.S. in February. However, over the next three years, my sword itinerary looks something like this:

Navy Dress Saber from Wilkinson
Next Gen Crecy from Albion (when it comes out)
Borderwatch by A. Trim and Christian Fletcher (when they start taking orders for it again)
Wave Katana and Tanto by Bugei
A nice swept hilt rapier from somewhere (I don't have this one picked out yet)

Since this is somewhere in the neighborhood of $4000 worth of swords, I'm going to have to sell off all but two of my current collection and start making chainmail shirts to sell on ebay. What a strange hobby we have...

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Jason wrote:
Albion Sheriff

As soon as the Powning and Clark pieces come in I have a few projects I'm going to be discussing with Patrick Barta.

Nice Jason! On the Powning piece based on my own and on the pattern welded stuff I've seen of his you will not be disappointed.

Why are you having an L6 reforged? Did you break it? Eek!

As for Barta's work... all I can say is WOW! You sir have good taste (and apparently pretty good sized pockets.) Happy

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Kite wrote:
Well, I have nothing on order now because they've both just arrived (on the same day even!), but I did have to get a loan from the bank to finance them.

A&A's Durer Bastard Sword

Albion's Museum Line Solingen (which I hope to have reviewed by next spring)

David Kite
ARMA in IN

K you may get the award as the most addicted... a bank actually helped you with this addiction?

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Russ;

Oh,need an impact weapon do you! Quick call back A&A and get that Pole Axe! See NOW YOU HAVE TO!

(I feel so EVIL tempting you like this.........just got a job offer from Lucifer...........LOL.)

LOL you evil so and so... As it turns out someone saw that post on the other thread and made me an offer to barter some work for one of those Pole axes. If we can agree on the time frame I think I'll have one of those in hand before too long. LOOK WHAT YOU DID!!!

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Barris wrote:
A nice swept hilt rapier from somewhere (I don't have this one picked out yet)

I'd suggest A&A for that one... sounds like you are one of the addicted for sure.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, since you decided to bring this up I might as well comment. Though with my current financial situation being what it is, it brings up some scary reality! Luckily, much of this is already paid for and the other is already allocated by selling other things and whatnot so that makes it somewhat realistic for me.

I have three outstanding orders with Erik Stevenson of Phoenix Metal Creations. One of them is currently being worked on and the other two will be started and completed as Erik finds the time to fit it into his work hours. As he's announced, he's no longer a full-time maker so he'll do these as he is able.

A custom-commissioned piece from Eric McHugh is in the works and custom pieces from E.B. Erickson and Patrick Barta will arrive sometime next year. A Cervenka piece will be coming to me later this month. Add to this list three of the single-edged pieces coming out of Albion next year (Grossemesser, Kriegsmesser, and Falchion) and I still have a good number of things coming down the pike.

I'll save the specifics as to what the commissioned pieces are so I can debut them upon their completion.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Compulsive collection disorder, Big Grin

Last couple of week's i received a 40"x1+1/2"x1/4", pattern welded L6/1080 blank from a fine gentlemen in Canada,
Last night i finalised the raw material for the handle, (still 50-50 on which way it's gonna go)
they go off to Rob Miller of Castlekeep in early Jan,
An historical inspired piece mid year, research permitting, based around a pic in The sword in the age of chivalry,
from St George Armoury,may end up just very loosley based though,
Those are definate,so to speak,
But sometime next year i'm hoping to look at something from Albion or A+A, i'd like first hand knowledge on things from both companys,but i'l see what damage the real world does,
Couple of things in the early stage of pricing but i'l have to see how bumpy the road is further on, Blush
Patrick Kelly

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Jason:
Quote:

You'd better hurry up. I just placed an order an his wait is currently a bit over two years.

My incoming stuff-

Patrick Barta Celtic sword.
Sutton Hoo helm
Albion Jarl scabbard
Albion Regent scabbard

Possible: Vince Evans pattern welded dagger if I can sell a few things.

Thinking very seriously about acquiring a rivetted maille byrnie.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Eric Bergeron

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a odinblades cutlass coming to me in a couple days, its based off a historic example that Stephen Fisher posted here a while back with a eagle head pommel.
James Aldrich

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darkwood Closed Port Swept Guard [AVBN #74] Rapier

A&A Milanese Rapier and Dagger

Cervenka Cavalry Sword

Lutel Couse [soon to be delivered]
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have nothing on order except a scabbard for my Castellan. The only thing I see on the horizon is an Albion Condottiere (love those finger-ringed XIX's!)

I'm sure an irresistible urge for something will pop up before long.
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Thomas Jason wrote:
Albion Sheriff

Nice Jason! On the Powning piece based on my own and on the pattern welded stuff I've seen of his you will not be disappointed.

Why are you having an L6 reforged? Did you break it? Eek!

As for Barta's work... all I can say is WOW! You sir have good taste (and apparently pretty good sized pockets.) Happy

Trust me Russ, you won't believe your eyes when you see the piece Jake is doing for me...

On the L6, it's a specialized design that's tricky to do. The first attempt was a little off so Howard agreed to give it another go.

As for the deep pockets, let's just say that I'm very good at juggling debt...

Speaking of which Russ, How'd you like to do a scabbard for my Sheriff?
Geoff Freeman

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, my list will have to only get longer, since college and car and bills and so on are more important at the moment....besides, I can't even have my swords with me in my dorm room. But I can always dream. Besides, it's fun to rearrange my sword priorities while I'm waiting for money to come in.

So, I'll start with what I have already on order:

-An aluminum waster from David Baker of Hollywood Combat Center
-A custom fantasy-ish sword from a maker I'll announce later, based on this design. Some tweaking still needs to be done, but this is in essence what I'm after.

Want to order:
-Albion Squire Line XVth cen. bastard
-Albion's Regent, Landgraf, and Meister (who doesn't want a großemesser?)
-Haubergeon of riveted mail from Forth Amoury or perhaps Historic Enterprises (either way you shake it, it'll cost quite a few pretty pennies)

And that's about it for now. Of course, my tastes sometimes change by the month, so this list will most likely be amended and tweaked in the coming months.

Geoffrey C. Freeman
Durendal Fencing Club
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I absolutely, positively will not purchase any reproduction arms before a large (for me) purchase next summer.

But MRL has again reduced their Scottish Burgonet, and I've wanted that piece for years so I'll be saving money if I go ahead and get it now rather than gambling on the price going down instead of back up. It's the responsible thing to do, really. Might spend a very small amount on materials for a new liner. And wood for a stand.

And I was thinking that I could convert my 18th c. Prussian hanger into a late 17th c. cutlass. That too, would represent a great savings over a new piece because it would cost only the price of a pommel and some sheet steel. I'd need some heavy-duty snips and some new Dremel bits, of course. And bone or horn for the grip. New files, perhaps. A small anvil would be a really good investment and might be very helpful with this project. I already got the stump for free, so that defrays the cost of the anvil.

So, you see I have the discipline not to spend a penny between now and Summer 2005. I can quit anytime I want....

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Tue 07 Dec, 2004 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Kelly

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I can quit anytime I want....

Keep telling yourself that if it helps Razz

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hello my name is Russ and...
Page 1 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: