Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Original 'Viking' Sword, Horrifying freak accident Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Robert Rootslane

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I dont know anything about historical sword prices, so sorry if this is a stupid question, but why was this sword sold for
40 000€?

As much i have seen some auctions the prices have been more like 10x less...
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Depends if you are collecting or dealing. If collecting, how much are you willing to part for that special thing. If dealing, how much profit can you make on it?

That's after you consider its historical or artistic merits plus its rarity. My wifi died right on something I wanted to bid on Sat morning. Desperate to have and I'd set £160 as my limit (although I'd have broken it probably), double the top estimate. But it went for £40, less than estimate start. Cos i couldn't bid, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

The fickle world of auctions.... Is the object in vogue, is there a buzz about it through the various circles, has it been well marketed and as I've found out, is that dealer in the room or that owner of a country house?

Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's a really old sword (8th-9th century AD) and as such is pretty much a historical relic. That gives it some serious value as an antique, coupled with its rarity (there aren't *that* many swords from that period out there). So that's why it's so costly and precious. It also (before this accident, of course) appears to be in decent enough condition-- that is, it's not just an unidentifiable lump of rust, it has a distinct handle, guards, blade shape, perhaps even some pattern-welding is visible.

Part of the cost is also a premium (auction fees) which could well include a fee covering assessment of the blade's historic quality and value. If it was done by a high-end professional, it could have been a significant fraction of the price-- perhaps even as much as 1/4ths, although that's a WAG on my end.
Mark Griffin

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

yes, mark ups, dont forget them... they wongt be included in the sale price, thats the hammer price listed. I've seen 3 to 22% added by the auction house in their and sellers fees. Then if there are any state taxes to be added (we have vat at 20%) then you suddenly find its a bit more besides.
Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Griffin wrote:
yes, mark ups, dont forget them... they wongt be included in the sale price, thats the hammer price listed. I've seen 3 to 22% added by the auction house in their and sellers fees. Then if there are any state taxes to be added (we have vat at 20%) then you suddenly find its a bit more besides.

And I doubt the price even includes shipping, which for something that you paid that much for, you aren't going to cheap out on. Throwing a 1000-year-old sword into a cardboard box with some newspaper in? No. We are talking a nice custom fitted box, wood or heavy structural cardboard, possibly fitted styrofoam...

Bottom line, this sword is a significant investment on Hadrian Coffin's part, as well as being part of his academic career as you can see in his OP. So this accident is a serious matter for him, and the fact that it involves a residence that he is currently renting compounds the issue.
Mark Griffin

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, Jeffrey, I don't think anyone doubts its seriousness. Its nice to see so much good advice proffered.

Hadrian, I have mentioned to the various names I proffered that you might need some help and advice, if you need contact details just drop me a line.

I think the safe storage is the same for most things, a decent scabbard for a decent sword and so on. I've just paid for a nice wooden base, bespoke stands and box for something I've just acquired to keep the dust and fingers off. Worth it.

Jussi Ekholm

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What kind of insurance did you have? As you got some insurance payoff from the antiques when your house burned down a year ago, I suppose you had some kind of insurance policy?

Do you have the receipts of the sale of the sword. I just noticed the sword you owned was not that viking sword that was sold by Bonhams in 2012. Where did you buy your sword and what is the provenance of that sword you bought? Who had appraised the sword you own?

Of course I'd think that insurance company might be suspicious that 2 accidents happen to valuable antique swords within a 1,5 years.

Jussi Ekholm
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all of your replies and help, I am still trying to get through reading it all!

I am currently in America, I am from the UK, and was living in Oxford last year (and have just been offered a position back at Oxford again next year). I haven't gotten round to updating my myArmoury location information. Blush

The Bonhams link was to a different but similar sword, with a probable similar value. I purchased the (now) bent one through a private sale, for slightly (though not considerably less). Getting in contact with the British museum is probably a great idea, I had not considered it, and I don't even know why. I will send an email!

I, unfortunately, do not have any paperwork on the sword yet. That was all being worked out when this happened, the sword literally came into my possession three days before this whole catastrophe. I bought it without any other opinion, as I have two (and am working on three) degrees, from Oxford University and Brown University in Norwegian (specifically), Anglo-Saxon and Scandinavian Archaeology from the Viking period. Its my own area of expertise.. and is quite literally my job to assess.

I am not a conservator, however, and have never dealt with damaged antiquities.

I know how exceptionally fishy this all sounds, but the house fire was in a different country and worked out with an insurance company I no longer have.

Thanks everyone,
Hadrian

p.s. As someone asked, the high value is due to the sword's typology. Single-edged, 'Viking' period, swords are extremely uncommon on the open market. Most known examples are owned by a few museums in Scandinavia and the UK. This one is particularly rare given that it has a pattern-welded blade. Most single edged blades are made of a relatively low carbon mono steel, or from a high carbon steel forge welded to an iron spine. This example has six distinct layers welded together, some exhibiting distinct twists. It is interesting because it disproves the notion that the single edged blade was a Norwegian phenomena due to inability rather than choice. A blade-smith that can create such a complicated blade as this would easily be able to manufacture one with two edges. This sword effectively 'proves' that the choice could be for some purpose other than inability, be that choice practical/mythological/etc.

Historia magistra vitae est
Jussi Ekholm

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Tue 31 Mar, 2015 4:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am sorry if my last post came out as hostile, as that was not my intention. It's just that there is very little information for us to offer help.

I know that laws and procedures are probably totally different between Finland and USA, so my help is not worth much.

Have you had professional builders/constructors in your house to assess the damage caused by the falling ceiling structural & collateral? I live in a rental apartment and the company that owns this building I live in would send guys in to check the damage immidiately. Falling ceiling is a huge safety risk, and I would suspect it would need further attention. Not knowning what kind of apartment you live in, are there apartments over you or under you or is it a single house? For example as I live in 6th floor, falling ceiling in one of the floors would be a huge risk to the whole building.

Document everything, take pictures of the structural damage to the house (as you've probably done). Talk with constructors & ask their opinion of the damage that happened to the house. Keep the documents of your sword purchase safe. As you bought the sword as a private sale, the price you bought it for will be the most they would compensate in a dream situation. Most likely I feel it might unfortunately be considerably less. As you said there is no paperwork or other professional opinions (aside from yours & sellers) for the sword, it will be bit complicated. I would think it will be important to get a 3rd party (totally independent) to give an opinion of the sword. For items of this value I would always like to have some paperwork to prove the authentication of the item, as it will be valuable if accident like this happens.

I am really not sure how you would be compensated for the sword as you said you were only just working out an insurance deal for it. Did you have any kind of general insurance plan for your household? Depending on how your landlord handles the situation you might need to go with the lawyers. I know here in Finland we think that people in the USA will sue each other for even very minor things, and this is a major thing.

That damage will in my personal opinion greatly affect the value of the item. Even if a professional conservator would be able to straighten the sword, that damage & straightening is information that in my opinion should be passed along if the sword is sold onwards. How much that would affect depends on the person. Likewise the future value will greatly depend on what someone is willing to pay for it, authentic viking swords are rare items to come by, and I would suspect they are quite tricky to sell.

There are still so many things we do not know about this case so it's very difficult to offer any solid assistance. Hopefully everything will work out for the best for you.

Jussi Ekholm

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Original 'Viking' Sword, Horrifying freak accident
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: